Budget 4 inch Android Required

varuog

Journeyman
Hi friends,

Need your suggestions to help me buy a phone for my mom.

1. Budget : 4-5k. (Can increase by 1k if it's really worth it).
2. Display type and size : 4 inch preferred. (Strict NO to above 4.5 inches).
3. Dual sim : Not required.
4. Preferred choice of brand? : Would prefer a reliable brand.
5. What camera option you want : Camera not required.
6. Preferred operating system? : Android, preferably Kitkat.
7. Preferred connectivity options : 3G preferred, though not mandatory.
8. Primary use of handset : Mostly calls and whatsapp. Sometimes light games like Candy crush etc.
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration : Moto E is impressive but is slightly over my budget. I am looking for more options.
10. Any other info that you want to share : Basically I would prefer a good looking (small and slim) phone with easy interface. Good battery backup would be a huge bonus. Don't want a Windows or Asha phone as my Mom is already familiar with Android on her Galaxy Star phone.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my suggestion is to wait for 2nd gen Moto E. will upgrade over 1st gen while sporting Android 5.0 out of the box. 1st gen Moto E isn't a powerhouse but works just fine with the exception of camera which is pretty bad. Zenfone 4's battery backup is poor else would have been the definite choice here.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Moto E 1(camera lacks flash) ,Moto E 2(if you can wait),Zenfone 4(awesome but battery life and lack of roms such as CM are a minus,still a great phone though and XDA support for it is slowly increasing)

$hadow

Geek in making
I strongly advise you to wait till MWC. Or else if in hurry go with Zennphone 4 or Moto E

Minion

Conversation Architect
Increase your budget by 1k and get redmi 1S it is slim can be used easily by one hand Camera perfomance is very good both in day light and low light.

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't want to to go for Zenfone 4 because of battery issues.
As far as Redmi 1S is concerned, my dad is already using it. Though a good phone, anything over 4.3 inches display is a strict NO.

That leaves me with Moto E.
But :
1. It's slightly over my budget.
2. I don't like the loosely fitted back panel of Moto E.
3. The Gen 2 is soon to be released.

Hence I don't think it would be a wise decision to buy Moto E 1st Gen now.
Probably, I am going to wait for Gen 2 and meanwhile keep hunting until I find something worthy.

Thanks for all the help.
More suggestions are still welcome.

$hadow

Geek in making

As far as Redmi 1S is concerned, my dad is already using it. Though a good phone, anything over 4.3 inches display is a strict NO.

But :

Probably, I am going to wait for Gen 2 and meanwhile keep hunting until I find something worthy.

Thanks for all the help.

That is a good choice mate.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

But :

Thanks for all the help.

yeah Moto E is only good if you plan on sticking to kitkat or flashing a custom rom
im running mine on Lollipop here and its really slow
its bad on my N7 2012 as well

wait for better phones imho

$hadow

Geek in making
yeah Moto E is only good if you plan on sticking to kitkat or flashing a custom rom
im running mine on Lollipop here and its really slow
its bad on my N7 2012 as well

wait for better phones imho

I have made my mind to end buying nexus devices from now on. I will buy a OEM stock based phone. Google is not optimizing its nexus lineup. I have seen moto g 2014 performing better than both my nexus 5 and nexus 7 2013.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I have made my mind to end buying nexus devices from now on. I will buy a OEM stock based phone. Google is not optimizing its nexus lineup. I have seen moto g 2014 performing better than both my nexus 5 and nexus 7 2013.

Yeah,the Nexus bubble has burst- Nexus 6 and 9 are really pricey and one gen down- Nexus 5 and 7 have started becoming slow with the latest official releases
Im gonna get vfm phones with CM support from now on as CM roms are better optimised than Stock Android atleast for Lollipop,dunno much about the earlier releases
I saw the CM12 Nightly(Lollipop) running on my friends OPO and it beats official 5.0 by miles

$hadow

Geek in making
Yeah,the Nexus bubble has burst- Nexus 6 and 9 are really pricey and one gen down- Nexus 5 and 7 have started becoming slow with the latest official releases
Im gonna get vfm phones with CM support from now on as CM roms are better optimised than Stock Android atleast for Lollipop,dunno much about the earlier releases
I saw the CM12 Nightly(Lollipop) running on my friends OPO and it beats official 5.0 by miles

yeah even those alpha roms are doing well. I am holding myself for 5.1 before flashing custom rom.

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
Just to update everyone on this thread, I have purchased iBall Andi 4U Frisbee.

Why ?

Because : It fits all my needs perfectly i.e.
Looks Good. (Almost a clone of iPhone 5C).
4 inch display. Scratch Resistant Corning Gorilla Glass
Quad Core 1.3 GHz Cortex A7 Advanced Processor
1 GB RAM
4 Interchangeable Battery Cover
8MPe AF Camera with LED flash
1600 mAh Battery
Android 4.4, Kitkat

Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom