BSNL EVDO Experience

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ssb1551

It is 100 kBps not kbps. 100kbps would mean, 100/8 = 12.5 kBps.

small b for bits, capital B for bytes.

Small thing, but it does make a big difference. :)

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ssb1551

It is 100 kBps not kbps. 100kbps would mean, 100/8 = 12.5 kBps.

small b for bits, capital B for bytes.

Small thing, but it does make a big difference. :)

I know!!8 bits make a byte.It was taught in 7th grade.I just simply didn't wanna get it complicated,thats why you'll notice I always mention download speed & line speed.A 512kbps line(the 1 I got) gives a download speed of 64kbps(or as you say kBps).But thats a theoretical download speed as practically 1 gets around 60kBps.My problem is download speed comes down to 15-35kBps after 1/2P.M.
Hence looking somewhere else for better download speed.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I knew that you have the basic funda clear. I just wanted you to make things clear for a third person to read.

If you'll say, "I get 64kbps speed in my 512kbps." - this seems odd and confusing. Differentiating is always good for everyone. I'm looking at a third person's perspective, not mine.

:)

davinci

wid million core procesor
am using evdo for past 5-6 months and its great....getting download speeds around 150 kBps...but the only con is that torrents give pathetic speeds like 10kBps

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Wow!!Awesome!!I rarely use torrents,almost all of my downloads are from hosts like MU/RS/MF/FS/HF.Its a great news for me buddy.Does the download speed ever go below 50kBps at any time of the day?

yes it is... it's a bad company
talk to bsnl and tell me abt ur experience cuz i've always had bad experiences

Hey man!went to the BSNL office.Today there was another guy at the desk.Last time it was an old guy who told me about the 750/- unlimited plan.But this guy today told me,infact kinda was trying to force me,to go for 3G data card instead of EVDO.He told me EVDO speeds aint that great.Moreover EVDO works in particular circles(in my case - only my city,Bhubaneswar).It won't work outside my city.EVDO's unlimited plan(750/-) is expensive as compared to 3G data card(274/-).Is it true?3G data card unlimited plan at 274 bucks per month!!Having a hard time believing it!Oh yeah & this 3G data card doesn't need a 3G enabled phone.It seemed as if he was completely uninterested in providing EVDO.The only thing he kept on telling me was : "Don't go for EVDO.It's bad.Go for 3G data card."

Last edited:

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys I'm planning to take EVDO Connection. I use torrents quite often. Will I be able to get good speeds on this?

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Hey ssk(hope you see this post), got the 274/- 3G unlimited plan clarified(after almost 3 weeks).
You gotta buy the data card from BSNL & insert a 2G sim in it.Recharge for 274 bucks & enjoy free downloading.But I doubt it'll give good speeds as told by the BSNL guy.He said that I would get a download speed of 60-80kBps.I highly doubt that.If you wanna go for 3G unlimited plan then you gotta pay 1350 per month.
Now 1 question to forum users : has anyone used the BSNL 3G data card with a 2G sim?
If yes how much is the download speed one can expect?

pauldmps

Banned
I would like to mention certain things :

1. EVDO is a CDMA-based service (same as TATA Photon+ or Reliance Netconnect), hence it requires a BSNL Tower with CDMA Equipment. You should verify yourself that your area has a CDMA tower or not. Otherwise you're stuck to EDGE speeds. The BSNL guys might have no idea about it whatsoever.

2. You should get at least 300 KBps if not more (3.1 mbps max.), else getting a BSNL Broadband connection with Night unlimited would be better for heavy downloading.

3. The cards are available in two variants - a USB based or Laptop card based. Make sure you get the right one.

Here's the link to BSNL's EVDO page: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I had the BSNL Guy give me a demo last week. I was getting variable speed between 0.48 to 0.96 KBps. Unfortunately speed on torrents was way too low lesser than my current 256 Kbps plan. Speed I was getting on torrents was 7kBps. I used to get around 24-26 on my 625 UL plan.

Top Bottom