BSNL EV-DO Datacard – Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Google search "BSNL EVDO ips" and check it out. In the process, I stumbled upon this wherein Jayson has done an excellent job much ahead of me and better than me:smile:.
As I understand whole Bangalore is covered by EVDO and if you want to know how good it is in your place, just borrow a friend's USB device and try it for a few days.If that is not possible, get a willing franchisee to give a demo at your place.Or else take a connection on rent and try it out.If you are satisfied you can purchase the device or else you can return it after three months.(Minimum hire period - three months).
The highest speed I got thus far:
*www.speedtest.net/result/438427184.png

Last edited:

amol48

Searching...
how about rapidshare and torrents?

You will have problems downloading from RS as you will share your IP with other since EVDO don't have dedicated IP's. Also upload speed $uck$ and hence ratio will be a problem on torrents with private trackers. Rest all is fine and great :p

yippee

lost in my world
hi
i will start moving a lot from next month thinking of giving up my bsnl1500 plan and going for the datacard...
any one from tamilnadu using this? what is the average speed you get?

shantanu

Technomancer
yesterday after about two months my sify went down, so i tried my Evdo again.. man.. it takes away my sify by a long shot.. i was getting download speed @ 946 kbps and 77 to 133 in torrents... ( open port 33365) lol .. amazing...

ganeshganesh

Broken In
hi friends,

i bought a evdo last week... am residing in bemllayout near kundanahalli gate...

am sorry to say that the speed is pretty bad.. it is around 120kbps and the download speeed is around just 12kbps... i bought the device for 3500... dont know wat to do..

now i even cant return the device....

hope that bsnl people willinstall the cdma soon in the tower un nearby area to me...

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
As I understand whole Bangalore is covered by EVDO and if you want to know how good it is in your place, just borrow a friend's USB device and try it for a few days.If that is not possible, get a willing franchisee to give a demo at your place.Or else take a connection on rent and try it out.If you are satisfied you can purchase the device or else you can return it after three months.(Minimum hire period - three months).
The highest speed I got thus far:
*www.speedtest.net/result/438427184.png
In the absence of any reliable information about how good the service is in a particular location, it is always safe to take the device on rent for three months and try it out.Otherwise one may land in a situation like this.
Even though I knew pretty well that the nearest BSNL tower is within 750 meters as the crow flies, I have taken the device on rent.I am totally satisfied with the service as it fulfills all my needs quite effectively.
Notwithstanding, I shall again repeat what is in the quote for anyone who would like to test the waters before taking a plunge.

INS-ANI

In the zone
@shantanu
bro wat was the upload speed you were getting? I guess the download speed you quoted is not consistent and is one of the rare occasions.
please comment

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Here is my limited experience torrenting with the EVDO Datacard.
Since Windows 7 RC 7229 is widely available as a torrent download,I installed uTorrent on my Windows 7 RC 7100 m/c to get the same.
It was a smooth sailing from the moment I installed the client and fed it with the torrent file. I never had to fiddle with the default settings.
Here is the screenshot .
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/39798_2d8jf/utor.jpg
The average download speed for the five and half hours was 15.8 KBps(126Kbps)
In any case, this was too slow . I was getting impatient as I wanted my hands on RC 7229 fast.So at 0200hrs I switched on to my copperline (Home 500) and went off to sleep.
Here is the screenshot
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/39799_194vr/UtorD1.jpg
The download speed was 209.7KBps(1678Kbps){ignore the average speed since it includes the datacard download speed for the first 5.5 hours}
The download was finished by 0530hrs.
Since this was my first torrent download and am a newbie at it, I cannot comment on it.
Whatever it is, having tasted it, I am now after free movies.I have indeed become a spoilt kid. :) Never mind. I am no great fan of movies,can never sit for three hours to watch a movie and I haven't done it in the last five years or so.:)

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
yup you are right.. its not consistent.. it keeps on going up and down.. but the average speed is about 300 - 340 & ( 55-70 with torrents )and i am getting almost 80kbps upload but it also keeps on fluctuating the most i have got was 484kbps..

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Try downloading some Anime with high seeders
I used to get around 60-125 ,till 1 day they shifted their centre somehwre & all their setting was fuked up
Now bull$hit speed since 20 days
No effect of complaint calls

Renny

Padawan
BSNL EVDO is Static IP, so downloading from RS etc is almost impossible except at maybe at 2 or 3AM ;) ,

And I never get more than 10KBps in torrents, I'm using uTorrent 1.8.2, could anyone please post a screenshot of their uTorrent settings?

Or should I use some other torrent client? And please how to get better torrent speeds, please mention the method.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
nice review. I'm interested in buying one, but how can I check whether the tower at my place hav EVDO service? are they listed in their site somewhere? when I asked the BSNL personals at the exchange, they didn't gav a specific answer.

himanshupt

Right off the assembly line
Nice Review dude..........
For now EVDO is good .......As of the reason that you get Unlimited downloads with such high speeds....At such low price.......

However it starts sucking when ........You are away from tower and you dont get good speeds.........And suffer frequent connection losses..........

And morever........I wont be surprised if BSNL removes unlimited download soon.......Bcoz they had been providinf unlimited download as introduction plan.........And now that it is poplular enough.....They can actually chuck out the faculity..........

For me personally......Wired connection are ways bettter............

I am using BSNL Night unlimted(2AM TO 8AM) HOME 500 plan with 2.5 GB downlad capping during normal hours(8AM TO 2AM)------------aND AM REALLY SATISFIED THAT ........

*www.speedtest.net/result/475184967.png

Can download huge amount stuff....with avg daily download of 3.2 GB........With my best being 3.7 GB (i AM TALKING DURING UNLIMITED/FREE HOURS)

REGARDS

badboyrx

Right off the assembly line
nice review, but anyone know about the roaming. this bsnl guy here at my place tells its restricted to 5 kms around my city. i would be moving between my hometown and chennai frequently. i need the real mobility. still thinking whether to go for this bsnl or reliance which has some fair usage policy crap.

shantanu

Technomancer
you need to be inbound the towers which is emmiting the Evdo signal.. else you will turn to 1X mode ..

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
what is the total initial money i need to deposit or rather give while i take a new connection? both for rental n purchase of devise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom