BSNL Broadband to offer minimum Internet Speed as '2Mbps'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION]
I am on unlimited connection. Why would they charge me extra :p

That is true. Even I am on Unlimited and and even on the selfcare portal they are showing my download limit as "unlimited". No FUP. But in their site the FUP is 1 Gb. What about that?. Totally confused. Their speed throttling mechanism is not working it seems.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
That is true. Even I am on Unlimited and and even on the selfcare portal they are showing my download limit as "unlimited". No FUP. But in their site the FUP is 1 Gb. What about that?. Totally confused. Their speed throttling mechanism is not working it seems.

ssshhh. For once, their incompetence is a boon to us.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
BSNL has started selling speed packs like failtel ... now say your limit is 1GB @ 2mbps and 512 kbps after that .. now what is bsnl counts all the data downloaded after 1Gb as countable under speed packs like say the next 40GB you've downloaded can be counted as 20GB slab each for which they can charge you with 1000 bucks. Otherwise there's nothing to worry but BSNL became notorous by changing BB plans without any intimation and later charged huge amounts which took almost 2 months to fix.

My exp. of last year was - Home combo 500 plan - everything was fine on portal upto 4Th July but suddenly on 9th July I was just shocked to see every units I've downloaded from 2 - 8 am has been charged starting from 1st July. So with BSNL you never know what is going to happen so it's safe to play safe.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] & [MENTION=11851]Ramakrishnan[/MENTION] Have you configured your modem to use Google DNS or Open DNS? Because, I have heard that if you use Google DNS, BSNL BB Speeds don't change even after FUP.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] & [MENTION=11851]Ramakrishnan[/MENTION] Have you configured your modem to use Google DNS or Open DNS? Because, I have heard that if you use Google DNS, BSNL BB Speeds don't change even after FUP.

Google DNS. But how does that work. I never got this speed post fup before. My plan is already 2mbps for 8GB and 512 after that for years.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Google DNS. But how does that work. I never got this speed post fup before. My plan is already 2mbps for 8GB and 512 after that for years.

I don't know how far it is true or is it working. But, I have just heard it from friends. It never worked for me though.

- - - Updated - - -

*telecomtalk.info/bsnl-new-broadband-plans-24mbps/143896/

Why can't BSNL provide such plans pan India? :-x

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
of course it will never work,speeds are set at your local bsnl exchange which in turn are controlled by their HQ software in Bangalore.best you can hope for is someone mistakenly set a 2mbps limit on a 512kbps connection or forgot to set the correct fup speed on an ULD connection.

Flash

Lost in speed
Getting 2Mbps then and there, thought it was over yesterday itself.

*www.speedtest.net/result/4714824916.png

quicky008

Technomancer
ssshhh. For once, their incompetence is a boon to us.
exactly-once they learn about this fup debacle they will rectify their settings and speeds would go back to 512 kbps again,lets keep this thing under wraps for as long as possible.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
of course it will never work,speeds are set at your local bsnl exchange which in turn are controlled by their HQ software in Bangalore.best you can hope for is someone mistakenly set a 2mbps limit on a 512kbps connection or forgot to set the correct fup speed on an ULD connection.

true enough for BSANAL, but for other ISPs that use DOCSIS modems, their speed configuation is on the modem itself, registered via the userID of the customer, it is possible to change the firmware of said modem to some different "uncapped" firmware (there are many, ex haxorware, forceware, puma firmware) and get unlimited data as well as uncapped speeds (total speed of the node) ..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
uncapping "cable modem" is not of much use in India(where you will stand out from the crowd like anything by doing this) & where it is useful,e.g.USA,very few dare to do it because of legal threats which may include police knocking on your door.

Flash

Lost in speed
In my case, the torrent stays @ 512kbps, but the direct downloads via browser/IDM speeds @ 2Mbps

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
My speed has reduced considerably and sometimes speed is 0kbps (SIMPLY 0 value),despite modem lights are all lit up correctly,without any disconnection.
Plan BSNL BBG ULD 1445
Simply put downloading is taking ages and web pages/sites are opening very slowly or refusing to open showing network disconnect error(sometimes)????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-x:pullhair::banghead:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] - enjoy the increased speed then but don'rt forget to take screenshots of selfcare portal usage page regularly just to play things safe.

hehe. it is been quite a while I checked my selfcare portal and I dont remember the credentials now :(. tried to reset,but it is throwing some message like it is modified already or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

My speed has reduced considerably and sometimes speed is 0kbps (SIMPLY 0 value),despite modem lights are all lit up correctly,without any disconnection.
Plan BSNL BBG ULD 1445
Simply put downloading is taking ages and web pages/sites are opening very slowly or refusing to open showing network disconnect error(sometimes)????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-x:pullhair::banghead:

bsnl cant handle too much(or may be not that much!) of users ,all utilizing 2mbps speed. my earlier 512 kbps flat was way stable! this one just doesn't hold on.

- - - Updated - - -

i am using google dns too.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I dont use any dns. i have configured my modem which is cisco linksys for wifi. I use wifi and i have got many electronic devices all of them use wifi, including kindle, and my daughter also uses. Today also speed is 2mp/ps. my selfcare portal is showing o chargeable units. I am not worried. at the most they will charge, which i think they will not because of legal issues, rs.500 per 20 gb. Let us see what happens. I cannot close down my internet. I need it as depend upon it for many things.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Plan BSNL BBG ULD 1445

They are using our bandwidth to provide 2 Mbps to 512Kbps users :(

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
They are using our bandwidth to provide 2 Mbps to 512Kbps users :(

Absolutely!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I can open Speedtest.net,but 100% loading display is present for more than 10 mins.
Unable to run Speedtest!!!
Download speed in "Synaptic Package Manager" for downloading 6.2MB files/apps/tools under Linux Mint 17.2 is 6251 B/s

Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom