BSNL 3g

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
What has your experience been with BSNL 3g?
what kind of speeds do u get?
which city do you live in(plz also mention the locality)?

this thread will help all users who are planning to use BSNL 3g's data plans
so plz do post in your experiences
you may also mention about the quality of video calls and it's other 3g services

Gollum

Collector
I've herd of an unlimited plan for 1500rupees on the net. They are apparently not having any sort of fair usage policy which makes it a highly desirable option if you want to use your phone as a modem for your pc.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bought BSNL 3g card just to try 3g speed:p

Used only 2 days..I was very happy

What has your experience been with BSNL 3g? Great, full signal
what kind of speeds do u get? I got 300KBps download speed which means nearly 2.5mbps(my 5800 support only 3.6mbps)
which city do you live in(plz also mention the locality)?Nagpur, near IT park

havent used video call coz none of my friend have 3g
BSNL signal was good, better then docomo here

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I am in Bangalore and have been using it for almost a year now. Completely happy. The browsing speed is superfast. I have tried to use my mobile as modem and connected to my PC. That gives close to 1.2 - Mbps depending on signal strength but I keep my internet usage limited to mobile only as the unlimited plans are very expensive (and I have a 512Kbps landline broadband (BSNL) already)
I have made many video calls from Bangalore to other places and the experience was/is been exhilarating. I have yet to make use of mobile TV which I am not able to do so due to some unknown reasons.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

my friend in tamil nadu, thanjaur gets around 300-350 KBps ... so good speed over there

dr.rdb

Broken In
I used BSNL 3G in Barrackpore [Kolkata]. direct download via IDM gives max 240kBps and on torrents it is 160kBps max!

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

i used BSNL 3g today in Bhilai[locality: Smriti Nagar]

Torrents : 80 kBps

speedtest.net results-

d/l - 1.41 mbps
u/l - 0.1 mbps :D

ssb1551

Technomancer
But BSNL doesn't have any unlimited plans right now,am I correct?

gaurav singh

Right off the assembly line
hey,i have nokia 3120c 3g phone and i use bsnl 2g sim and i select network mode gsm to umts and it catch 3g signals and i do video calls.i activate 98 gprs 2gb for month and the downloading speed in day is about 40-50 kbps and at night it gives 140-150 kbps ,it was nice speed for me.but i don't how it gives some high speed and video calling in 2g.my frnds used this and we do video calling in 2g sim.sim price is 80 for 6 moths.i use it in bihar in chapra district.anyone know how or anyone have also this speed in 2g.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

hey,i have nokia 3120c 3g phone and i use bsnl 2g sim and i select network mode gsm to umts and it catch 3g signals and i do video calls.i activate 98 gprs 2gb for month and the downloading speed in day is about 40-50 kbps and at night it gives 140-150 kbps ,it was nice speed for me.but i don't how it gives some high speed and video calling in 2g.my frnds used this and we do video calling in 2g sim.sim price is 80 for 6 moths.i use it in bihar in chapra district.anyone know how or anyone have also this speed in 2g.

it's a flaw in bsnl network.. it's quite an old flaw
now bsnl has found out abt it
and they are shutting down access of 3g network with 2g sim... in each state one by one

dissel

Cyborg Agent

For Video calling BSNL do allow 2g customer such privilege....only condition u must have a 3G Handset and ur staying at 3G signal.

Here is the proof
Calcutta Telephones

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

BOY!Thats a lot!1500 bucks!!Moreover I don't even have a 3G phone!!Its better to go for EVDO now.

theres a 4200 - 6 month unlimited plan
but it's promotional... don't how long it'll last
it will go back to normal rates later

dr.rdb

Broken In
still @1499 it is unlimited, while pvt evdo players and docomo gives just 15GB !
get a 3G usb modem @2500 and enjoy high speed wireless internet!

dissel

Cyborg Agent
But 4200 for 6mnths in unlimited mode is really worth it.

Any how, Today I visit nearest BSNL office for availability,will buy tomorrow with necessary document.

Now my question is, What will be speed I can except, In my wired BB 750+ line I get in constant 45-50kbps in torrent download.

Can I except this ? Or below this or above this.....

In my place Exchane is less than 1km and 3-4 Mobile Tower is there, I don't know are all those BSNL or Not, but in my home in Ground Floor I get 1 Bar Less 3g signal in Nokia set.

Please reply........................

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
usually I get 200-270 KBps download speed on my 3G connection (on full signal strength). If you do not live in a place with enough coverage, do not buy it because it will frustrate you...

dissel

Cyborg Agent
gagan007 said:
usually I get 200-270 KBps download speed on my 3G connection (on full signal strength). If you do not live in a place with enough coverage, do not buy it because it will frustrate you...

Thanks for your reply,

I saw a screen shot, don't remember in this forum or other where a user download Ubuntu iso in torrent getting 130kB/s which ETA was 1 hour,

If I get even 100kB/s or as low as 75kB/s it is a big deal for me....I can't bear the 40-45-50kB/s anymore by paying 820/- P.M. (750 for DataOne and other Tax)....Where other ppl paying same or less and use huge bandwidth.

So I decided to jump 4200/- boat(700 P.M Promo) and don't know where I'm going.

Though I stick with my 5year old wired BB for next 6mths and then decide which one to stick.

I have a strong believe in next 6 months other 3g player are in the market and BSNL reduce the price and re-launch a new plan or continue the same plan.

I used BSNL 3G in Barrackpore [Kolkata]. direct download via IDM gives max 240kBps and on torrents it is 160kBps max!

Oh....I didn't saw it....I'm the same place as this user are.

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
My advise to all customers who want 3G datacard plans, don't purchase Teracom(linktop) data card.. Huwei and zte is o.k..half of the cards supplied to BSNL are found defective,. now BSNL is collecting that cards and issuing new ones.. so be careful.. I use my Nokia 5800 and the speed is good (average 1 mbps) is enough for me..video call appear to be patchy. so watch about signal strength when you make a video call, also make sure that your caller is living in the 3G available areas.. other wise you cann't connect to him..
with regards,
vaithy