Broadband connection differ on laptop & desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I have a desktop and a laptop, both running on XP SP2. I connect to BSNL broadband via the modem provided by them. The laptop connects to modem via the network interface whereas the desktop via USB interface. While the laptop connects at 100 mbps the desktop connects at 10 mbps. Why is this difference. I have also noted another difference in the LAN properties. The laptop displayes Connect using: "Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller" whereas in the desktop it is "ASL-25020". Why is this difference when I am using the same device. Does it have anything to do with the connection speed? What can I do to have the desktop connection speed to 100 mbps?

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
can you not connect the desktop via an ethernet cord as well, USB is slower then ethernet. most modem have built in routers (able to connect at least 4 computers via ethernet, and sometimes a wireless connection as well. mind you wireless is not going to be as fast as direct link) you may then need to buy a router and connect that way. I'm sure it is because you're connected through USB.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
The broadband modem that is supplied by BSNL has one ethernet port and one USB port only, the ethernet is connected to laptop as it has inbuilt LAN and the dekstop by USB.

Liggy

well thn thats ur issue (ur using USB) if its that bad(slow) you will need a router.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I dont think you sud get slow speed through USB port. I am doing traing in airtel broadband (DSL department). And there is no issue like that.

Liggy

ravi_9793 said:
I dont think you sud get slow speed through USB port. I am doing traing in airtel broadband (DSL department). And there is no issue like that.
well you maybe right, just repeating what I was told and read (about a year ago). but technology is always changing. Sridhar_Rao ask your ISP if they have a newer 'high-end' modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom