boot problem with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

razial

Broken In
Hi,

this problem has a no of sol on internet but none of them worked for me.

i have a lenovo laptop with vista home preinstalled. i didn't like vista and installed xp and server 2003 . vista is in c:, xp in d:, and server in e:
first xp and server overwrited vista bootloader and i was not able to boot vista .
i had downloaded vistabootpro3.3 and used to switch b/w vista and xp+server with the help of bootloader installer in vistabootpro .i cannot use all three as while using vista boot manager as it shows ntldr missing. right now i needed vista to have my DVD RW to be replaced at lenovo service center.so i installed vista bootloader but somewhere i messed up and corrupted xp+server ntldr files as with legacy boot installed i am not able to boot xp+server it shows ntldr file missing. i used the following method but it didnt worked

Well…there's a turnaround to that problem but for this you need the Vista Installation Disc, since the files needed to restore the Vista Boot Manager are on that disc…you said you don't have one since its a VAIO with Vista OEM…lets see what i can do here…i've uploaded the required file here…
*www.box.net/shared/77k1y2qbr1
just download that file…extract it in some folder and then follow these steps carefully but at your own risk…
1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt: Path\bootsect.exe /NT60 All
In this command, Path is the location where you have put the bootsect.exe file.
2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt.
Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} –d "Description for earlier Windows version"
Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can be "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003″.
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:
Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} –addlast
3. Restart the computer. Now you should see the Vista Boot Manager.
Hope this resolves your issue.

please note i used this method to add boot files of xp and server to vista bootmanager not to enable vista bootmanager as it is already enabled.

right now my boot files for xp and server are not working. As ODD is not working i am not able to use os cd as repair . i tried to copy ntldr and ntedetect from os cd to d:, also /windows also /windows/system32 but none worked . i am hanged with vista only please help

there is one wired problem with my DVD RW that it is detecting my lenovo vista os DVD no one else not even a copy of lenovo vista os DVD

OP
R

razial

Broken In
Dear Fellows,

i expected that someone will answer to my problem but now that no one replied .i have now formated my laptop. the config is still same the only diff is that first i installed server then xp (server in E: and xp in F:) now i am going to install vista (in C:) by the OS DVD provided by lenovo

what i want really now is some steps that when vista will be restored, how will i make all three os bootable. since i fear that after installing vista, the boot manager disrupts the xp and server boot files and doing the following steps won't get my xp and server back

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} –d "Description for earlier Windows version"
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:
Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

i am waiting for your reply please help me , i won't install vista untill i get answer from u

Status
Not open for further replies.