Boot issue with ASrock 845GV-m motherboard

quicky008

Technomancer
One of my neighbours has a Celeron cpu based system that uses an older Asrock 845GV-m motherboard.I recently attempted to format and install windows xp on his system but discovered that his system could not boot from the Windows xp installation disc.To fix this issue,i set the first boot device to his DVD-RW drive in his motherboard's bios and saved the updated settings-despite that the system still refused to boot from CD-while booting,it displayed a message that said it could not find any "boot record" in the disc and proceeded to boot from the HDD instead.Then i restarted the system and manually selected his dvd-rw drive as the boot device by pressing the F11 key while his system was starting up but it again showed the same error and booted from the HDD.

I was using a bootable disc-i tested it with another bootable windows xp installation cd but his pc could not boot from that one either which indicates that something is wrong with it.What can i do now to resolve this issue?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Are those XP installation CDs working on other systems?
And does that system read CDs and DVDs in DVD-Drive? I think DVD drive is the culprit here!

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
yes,the drive is ok-he uses it regularly to burn DVDs.The installation discs are bootable and they work fine on other systems.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
can your friend copy the entire XP CD using his DVD drive to the HDD - is yes, make sure the XP version you are trying to install is not 64 bit one and also just to be sure can your friend boot the pc using any win98/linux distro CD - sometime some DVD/CD drive can't just read CD/DVDs due to compatibility issue no matter how recent they are - I've seen this happening so telling and if this is what happening the only option you have is to install the OS using a bootable PD - use wintoflash utility to this.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks a lot for your advice topgear.I was trying to install the 32 bit version of XP-his system is not compatible with the 64 bit version.Unfortunately however,i could not get his system to boot from the CD despite trying every trick in the book that i knew of.The idea of installing the OS using a USB flash drive had occurred to me but i don't think his system is capable of booting from usb-i found no such setting while i was tinkering with the boot options in his pc's BIOS.

I'll see if i can get it to work with a Linux/win 98 installation disc.BTW he has an IDE LG DVD burner.

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Might be a problem with the CD/DVD drive or might be problem with the installation disc itself.
Not likely a motherboard problem.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ what about boting with oher OS disc and copying the contents of the XP CD ( the one which is not booting ) to the HDD using the DVD drive in question.

Top Bottom