Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

tkin

Back to school!!
So this got published this year by Penguin books
My Fiancée, Me & #Ifu**edup eBook: Aarya Babbar: Amazon.in: Kindle Store
Ban this idiot from writing books, now a days when I visit some bookstore in shopping malls I'd see all these romance books. Books with title like this, no one buys them, no one who wants to read the book anyway, some buy them as a gift though.

BTW, the first review:

Okay so im done with d book....Aarya jst gotto tell u dis...dat d book is not a normal book....it has heights of uniqueness ! ! !and its jst sooo enjoyn in reading d book..feels like wen a certain situation is been held I feel as if I myself im present out der...I could feel each..emotion d character goes throug..I mean I loveee it not jst lovee it I loVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT... || (highlights~pause pause+pause ..)....**all dis is not enuf to explain how amyzingly fabulous ur book is yaaaa***...its NOT JUST A BOOK ITS A DRUG ! #InLoveWithDisMadAuthor..<3

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I have the right idea of good and bad any more

I once imagined a book exactly like this and thought how much fun it must be, then saw someone doing it sincerely, and instead of the language being atrocious and amusing at every line, it becomes one of the background issues

saw some other titles there, the things people also apparently purchased. Seems like there is a market and an audience that does not really care so much for good language anymore, I don't think they even care for understanding something.

I just feel like books have now died
Have you seen recent facebook posts? Specially in news articles?

PS: These books get good reviews, because no one with a sane mind buys them, those who do would choke on a George Orwell novel, so they read these books and rate them 5 stars.

- - - Updated - - -

Completed Metro 2033 - So much more than the games. But the games are executed beautifully giving shapes to the mutant abominations and the places as you read. Ending took me by surprise, more so if you read the book first.
Did you see the alternate ending in the game?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
so no one read Anansi Boys?

If you read the way "tiger" is used in the book, it is as if tigers are already extinct, and a mythical creature

there is a huge market for simple english books, something that a non native speaker can easily understand. I think somewhere in this thread only someone pointed out some guy who collected english versions of the book, and read the hindi version.
Simple does not mean bad language though, or children's books for that matter. Samit Basu is solid, local content, and good language. There are also one off books, Nothing is Blue. Maybe we should make a list of these sad books that get popular, and suggest good alternatives. How is Sidin Vadukut?

Of course, digital publishing means everyone has the freedom to publish crud

I would love to read a book that uses sms language, in the spirit of being ultra conservative about the number of characters used. The whole narrative must be direct, and concise. It should be easy to read for those using sms language, and impossible for those who don't. Like someone should actually type it out on a keypad of an old feature phone for authenticity.

tkin

Back to school!!
so no one read Anansi Boys?

If you read the way "tiger" is used in the book, it is as if tigers are already extinct, and a mythical creature

there is a huge market for simple english books, something that a non native speaker can easily understand. I think somewhere in this thread only someone pointed out some guy who collected english versions of the book, and read the hindi version.
Simple does not mean bad language though, or children's books for that matter. Samit Basu is solid, local content, and good language. There are also one off books, Nothing is Blue. Maybe we should make a list of these sad books that get popular, and suggest good alternatives. How is Sidin Vadukut?

Of course, digital publishing means everyone has the freedom to publish crud

I would love to read a book that uses sms language, in the spirit of being ultra conservative about the number of characters used. The whole narrative must be direct, and concise. It should be easy to read for those using sms language, and impossible for those who don't. Like someone should actually type it out on a keypad of an old feature phone for authenticity.
I'd rather gouge out my eyes before reading a book written in sms language, somehow that really irritates me. There are thousands of books out there, quality books, a lifetime is not enough to read even a fraction of them, I'd rather spend as much time as I can to read those books.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
and suggest good alternatives. How is Sidin Vadukut?

He has written three books till date.

Dork trilogy. FIrst book is good and you might just enjoy the seldom tongue-in-cheek humor, at times toilet humors too. But, one thing for sure you'll enjoy first book.

Second one tries to copy success of first book and repeats few scenarios in different set-up. Kinda happened with Hangover series, the sequels were not supposed to happen but they had to milk the cash cow.

Third book is bad. Simply bad. Period.

If you follow him in Twitter you'll find out he has good sense of humor; good one liners but not enough talent for novels I guess.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Any recommendations for Dark fantasy novels ? Anything similar to A song of Ice and Fire...
PS : I like books that are open to reader interpretations

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^Michael Moorcock
Eternal Champion series... it's huuge
Corum, Von Bek and Nomad of the Time Streams especially good
can be read in any order, and in fact, the stories in each volume also can be read in any order

and trust me, Moorcock goes much, much darker than GRRM

Fortress of the Pearl, and Dancers at the End of Time also good

James S. A. Corey which is a pen name for the assistant writers of GRRM have written a sci fi series The Expanse which is written in the same narrative structure and style as ASOIAF

Pillars of the Earth and World Without End follows the stories of multiple characters during the anarchy and plague in the middle ages. Medieval historical fiction, no fantasy, but dark enough.

tkin

Back to school!!
Any recommendations for Dark fantasy novels ? Anything similar to A song of Ice and Fire...
The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is an excellent dark fantasy series, three books, very mature and realistic(except the magical elements). I'd suggest you try it. At least the characters die there, violently just like GoT series.

I've been continuing The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Its getting a bit boring, the entire novel drags like a queue at passport office, but the last 200 pages or so make up for that delay, 15 books in the series. Now reading the Lord of Chaos, sixth book, 9 more books to go. Only saving grace are the excellent and unique magic system, size of the world and setting, looking forward to Brandon Sanderson's work who picks up from 12th novel, if Sanderson wrote them anything like his Mistborn Trilogy then it should be an excellent conclusion to this excellent series.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Technology of the Gods The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients
ok book if you want unscientific theorizing of basically ancient aliens (this guy and this book was one of the references in the series that actually exists, so read it). there are a bunch of interesting artifacts described that show devices way ahead of their time, and only a few of them are hoaxes.

ashs1

Padawan
Finished "The Immortals of Meluha"... The manner of writing is simple and easy.. Written in very dramatic style though. Somewhat Like bollywood ..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

I just started reading ASOIAF
think Jon Snow is going to be the ultimate anticlimax. Hope he dies now, because the only other option is that he will be saved up to die later.
Liked the TV series so far, but now can see that they removed some parts potentially important to the story.
Wondering how much the unnamed characters in the tv series that might still exist, will affect the story.
It is basically historical fiction. Anarchy, and War of Roses. It dissects the political scenario, which it does very well.
Pillars of the Earth and World Without End heavily inspired this work.
He found a middle ground between Moorcock and Tolkein. And he treads this middle ground purposefully with liberal references to both the Tolkein Legendarium and the Moorcock Multiverse. The TV show also does this, but very subtly. Best example is design of Iron Throne or sword names called out during the Purple Wedding.
The most rewarding aspect is the mundane bits. We no longer see the Middle Ages as a rustic, backward, stupid time.

Top Bottom