BlackBerry eyes future beyond smartphones: CEO

mojo+

Right off the assembly line
TORONTO: Barely a week after the launch of an all-new, make-or-break smartphone, BlackBerry is already looking at a future in which it is a leader in "mobile computing," Chief Executive Thorsten Heins says.

He says BlackBerry's aim is to reclaim its spot as an innovator in world where smartphones will have the processing power to replace tablets and laptops.

The company, which changed its name from Research In Motion when it launched the BlackBerry 10 smartphone last week, pioneered on-the-go email before losing ground to nimbler competitors. It's now out to explore new territory.

"This isn't just about smartphones and tablets," Heins, who took over as CEO just over a year ago, said in an interview at the time of the BlackBerry 10 launch.

Read More: Source

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
"Mobile computing is not going to be decided in the next quarter ... We have got to figure out as an industry how we get there. All I know is that I want us to be a leader there."

hmm... where have I read a similar story before? oh yeah in 2011 the other CEO said almost the exact same thing
It may take some time to realise the benefits of these efforts and the platform transition that we are undertaking, but we continue to believe that RIM has the right set of strengths and capabilities to maintain a leading role in the mobile communications industry

Read more: BlackBerry BB10: Crucial new phones delayed until 'late 2012' | Mail Online

it actually makes sense. they said in 2011 also that the next BB would invisibly interface with everything else. they have made the phones, now they have to make everything else. think that was the part of the plan they didn't think through.

Top Bottom