Black google site to save energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

blademast3r

In the zone
An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts. I thought I would do a little math and see what could be saved by moving a high volume site to the black format.

Take at look at Google, who gets about 200 million queries a day. Let's assume each query is displayed for about 10 seconds; that means Google is running for about 550,000 hours every day on some desktop. Assuming that users run Google in full screen mode, the shift to a black background [on a CRT monitor! mjo] will save a total of 15 (74-59) watts. That turns into a global savings of 8.3 Megawatt-hours per day, or about 3000 Megawatt-hours a year. Now take into account that about 25 percent of the monitors in the world are CRTs, and at 10 cents a kilowatt-hour, that's $75,000, a goodly amount of energy and dollars for changing a few color codes.

Therefore Bloogle is an effort to save this energy by using the exact same search engine powered by google but using a black background. Thus using this Black google helps save energy in this time of energy scarcity.

Please use Bloogle as your home page and help promote the site to make the world a greener place for everyone.

Site : *www.bloogle1.com
Source : *www.bloogle1.com/about.htm

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
Think how much energy i am saving ..??

*img102.imageshack.us/img102/6274/12aa9.th.jpg

Using Stylish

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
man, how/where did you get this... looks cool!!

useing Zune theme for Win XP , Black( blank) wallpaper , Alternate firefox theme , black google and many sites useing Stylish extention . brightness at 50% always . icons hidden to get alpha transperencies .

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very old news....

And that 74watt for White & 59watt for Black, this thing is only true for CRTs....
LCDs may even use more power for displaying black than white.....

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
This is very very old. You better go googling first before posting. I also believe that 90% of the world already uses LCD rather than CRTs. CRTs hurt your eyes badly and look fat and ugly.

I also personally think that bloogle is not a popular site and looks seriously ugly. Why don't you guys set your wallpapers black, Change your theme to black and make Thinkdigit black? Also make your startup screen black along with the welcome screen black. In fact, turn your brightness to 0. That would be black enough, will it?:D:p;):eek::):eek:;-):smile::p;):D:cool::cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
Use parsix !! every application's background including OO is black. I never thought fire fox will be such black beauty.. this posting itself is from parsix's icewwesal (firefox)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom