BIOS Rollback

RBX

In the zone
BIOS Rollback | Fix Boot files

I have a DH61WW motherboard and have problem similar to this one : Stuck at the BIOS screen after update(can only access it) - BIOS - Motherboards

The major problem is that F7 key doesn't work (It was already enabled).

I'm trying to find a tool to make flash drive bootable for BIOS update, so far only frustration, and also trying to figure out what BIOS configuration jumper looks like so I can remove it.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool.rar

with this tool you can make a dos bootable flash drive(select internal ms-dos files option) without having to separately download 3 dos files needed.once done you can use intel bios flash exe & bios file.

View attachment 12121

You don't need to make the pen drive bootable for bios recovery. Follow these steps:

> Download the .BIO file of the bios version you initially had before updating.

> Format the pen drive with FAT32 and copy the downloaded .BIO file in it.

> Remothe the BIOS config jumper form the motherboard and insert the pendrive.

> turn on the PC and the BIOS recovery will start.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool.rar

with this tool you can make a dos bootable flash drive(select internal ms-dos files option) without having to separately download 3 dos files needed.once done you can use intel bios flash exe & bios file.

I already have it, but I can't seem to locate the files DOS files for creating such startup disk. I have my windows CD, they must be available on it.

View attachment 12121

You don't need to make the pen drive bootable for bios recovery. Follow these steps:

> Download the .BIO file of the bios version you initially had before updating.

> Format the pen drive with FAT32 and copy the downloaded .BIO file in it.

> Remothe the BIOS config jumper form the motherboard and insert the pendrive.

> turn on the PC and the BIOS recovery will start.

I tried this, but simply placing the file doesn't seem to help, the PC just powers on, the display remains off. I read some document from Intel that told to make the flash drive bootable to be able to restore.

EDIT:
@harshilsharma63: Did some more reading to find out that downgrading to version 0048- could not be done, so I decided to upgrade to 0117. Simply placing the file in flash drive, removing configuration jumper, and pressing F7 worked.

I now have a different problem. My system is a Fedora/Win7 dual boot, I had modified GRUB to load Windows 7 by default without a timer. Now I can see grub and can't load Windows 7; the computer simply restart when trying to start Windows; Fedora works fine.

EDIT:
I have been planning to remove Fedora and keeping Windows 7 as the only OS, if there is a solution that involves this, I don't mind. ;)

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
there are 2 versions of hp format tool,one without inbuilt dos files(commonly found version) & other activated/cracked version(not known much & harder to find) with inbuilt dos files so you won't need to download those files separately.dos files used to be available in windows 98 cd but they are not available in later windows versions.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
The problem isn't with BIOS anymore, but is with Windows Boot Loader (most probably). So I decided to make a bootable Win7 flash drive (I have 2 hard disks, and have no power cable for optical drive), and use these commands
bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot
but the computer now restarts even before showing GRUB screen.

EDIT:
Finally got the bootable Win7 flash drive to work.
bootrec /fixmbr - worked
bootrec /fixboot - says element not found

EDIT:
also tried
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Result:
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:Y
Element not found.

Also tried using diskpart to mark partition active.

EDIT:
May have activated wrong partition, I select partition 1. I don't exactly remember what size it had, but Linux shows it to be 105 GB.
View attachment 12142

EDIT:
tried this
All done in directory D:\Boot

attrib -h -s BCD
del BCD
bcdedit /createstore bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /store bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"

bcdedit.exe /import bcd.temp --failed here
bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
attrib -h -s bcd.temp
del bcd.temp

Now I get an error:

An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

File \Boot\BCD

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what happened to the 100mb windows system partition which contains the actual boot files needed for windows to boot & btw this is the partition which needs to be active & set as boot partition not the C/windows install drive?

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
^ Made one more edit, read it to see if there is something useful.

what happened to the 100mb windows system partition which contains the actual boot files needed for windows to boot & btw this is the partition which needs to be active & set as boot partition not the C/windows install drive?

I have 2 hard drives. And things are a bit complicated as Windows is installed on one drive and linux on other; so I don't know what happened to that partition, might be on the other drive, but diskpart shows only one partition even on that (It must have 2/3 - one NTFS, and 1 or 2 for Linux).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
too much mess.better to start fresh by formatting & reinstalling.the root cause of your problem seems that you somehow deleted the 100mb windows hidden active system partition which is must for windows to boot.
try this:
Accidentally deleted system partition. - Windows 7 Help Forums
basically you have to create a new 100mb active NTFS partition labeled as System Reserved just in front of the windows install partition/first on hdd & then use windows startup repair 3 times with reboots in between to finally get it working.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
I have reinstalled windows, and have an additional question regarding my old linux partition.

I have 2 Drives, (1 TB + 500 GB); I'm pretty sure that the linux partition (~10 GB) was made from the 500 GB hard disk, but the Disk Management Console shows only one partition in 500 GB disk and a ~10GB partition in the 1 TB drive, moreover it appears to be empty. Would it be safe to delete it, and are there any tools to check the partition's content ?
View attachment 12152

EDIT:
Now that I try to remember, the 10 GB space was probably divided in 9.5 GB and 500 MB (Swap) partitions, so I think it would be fine to delete both of them. I'd still wait for opinions regarding these partitions before deleting them.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are not using the GRUB boot loader anymore and using the windows boot loader instead just remove those linux partitions.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
if you are not using the GRUB boot loader anymore and using the windows boot loader instead just remove those linux partitions.
I want to be sure that they are Linux partitions and nothing else.

EDIT:
I deleted them and merged to an existing partition, everything seems fine.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
so you are planning on installing some other distros on that 10GB space and dedicate it all to windows ? :D

Top Bottom