Bike for comfort and long rides

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello Guys,
I'm thinking of buying a bike for daily commute. I have to travel minimum of 50KM + on weekdays. Bike should be very maneuverable and also comfortable for the back and buttocks(yes you read if right). I have been traveling for 40+ km's for the past 15 years and used bike for about 8+, only last two years I started using car for daily commute and its expensive to it daily, so want to have a bike which get get me around quickly and still be comfortable.

I back ache when I use bikes for longer period of time, If I use splendor for 4-5 days continuously I get back ache. so the suspension should be good.

I was thinking of Activa first, but not sure if its good for very long rides and pickup will be low compared to bikes.

Two bikes which I am interested in are Pulsar and Unicorn, Honda Twister is too trendy for me :p.
In 125 range Discover 125M and Honda Shine looks good, but not sure if it will have good pickup.

I am not worried

What is your budget?
- 80k~90k

Your height & body build (lean/medium/heavy).
- Height: 5'.5" , Build:Heavy

Looking for 100cc or 125cc or 150cc or >200cc?
- 125 - 150cc+

How many KMs do you travel everyday?
- Min 50 kms max 120 KMS

How do you intend to travel most of the times- Alone or with pillion?
- Alone, may have office colleagues some-times

Looking for Naked/Semi faired or faired bikes?
- nothing too fancy

Do you have preference to a certain brand or interested in any specific bike?
- CB Unicorn, Pulsar 150, Activa.

What do you want most out of your bike? (Mileage/Power).
- Pickup, Power.

Your place of stay and where you intend to buy it.
- Bangalore

What bikes have you owned in the past?
- Activa, Splendor, I have also used Yamaha FZ

How long do you intend to keep the bike?
- 5 yrs

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Out of all bikes you mentioned, Unicorn has literally got no competition keeping in mind of your requirements. The suspension of Unicorn is very good. You will get a mileage of 50+ if you drive uncle style. But traffic of b'lore won't allow that, I guess (and am sure). Only con is that weight feels on the heavier side.

Also, Activa has a much better pick up than all 100cc bikes. Even though scooties are easier to drive, I don't like them, personally.

Shine also has decent pick up. You don't have to do racing, eh ? :p You may say, shine = chhota unicorn.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ I am not concerned about mileage, comfort is the primary requirement and also should be lighter. I used my friends pulsar for a small test ride and felt comfortable. I haven't had a test ride with Honda Bikes yet, unicorn does look heavy so I wasn't considering it till yesterday, untill I came to know CB Unicorn is a newer sportier model of the original Unicorn. I want to have a good pickup so that I can speed away from signals :D.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
^^ I am not concerned about mileage, comfort is the primary requirement and also should be lighter. I used my friends pulsar for a small test ride and felt comfortable. I haven't had a test ride with Honda Bikes yet, unicorn does look heavy so I wasn't considering it till yesterday, untill I came to know CB Unicorn is a newer sportier model of the original Unicorn. I want to have a good pickup so that I can speed away from signals :D.

Unicorn looks like the bike for you. Pulsar is comfortable but the handling is not that great. Get yourself a Unicorn and you wont regret the buy.

PS:: I had a pulsar earlier and now am using RTR 180ABS

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Unicorn it is then. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Unicorn looks like the bike for you. Pulsar is comfortable but the handling is not that great. Get yourself a Unicorn and you wont regret the buy.

PS:: I had a pulsar earlier and now am using RTR 180ABS

How's the ABS buddy ?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I had considered RTR 160, but came across multiple complaints regarding Back Ache for riders. so wont be considering it.

DB Unicorn yes highly considered. but not for Trigger as it a little expensive and also it might not suit me.

Also which one is easier to maintain? I give my vehicles for service regularly (every 3-4 months) .

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
I had considered RTR 160, but came across multiple complaints regarding Back Ache for riders. so wont be considering it.

DB Unicorn yes highly considered. but not for Trigger as it a little expensive and also it might not suit me.

Also which one is easier to maintain? I give my vehicles for service regularly (every 3-4 months) .

another vote for Unicorn, but also CBZ xtreme.

has the same engine, but better features (speedometer, lock for key hole) :p

Its a bit tall though, but i think the suspension can be brought down a bit w/o compromising on comfort (for both cbz & uni)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Partially true due to the sporty postition. Also, the fact that it's a boke only for short/avg height riders, and people with 5"10 or higher heights would face a bit problem.

Some poeple find that postition quite good, but some refrain from it (preferring typical bullet style seating).

I'll say take a test ride for at least good 5 kms, then decide. RTR's maneuverability is just top notch (no competiiton on that front), and gives much less issue than at least Pulsar.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I found pulsar 150 to be uncomfortable too after 140kms ride. Probably best to take rest after every hour. But havn't been on longer rides.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
How's the ABS buddy ?

To sum up RTR 180 ABS -
1) Its a beast with raw power
2) ABS actually works and can be a life saver for 10K (worth the money spent) compared to the non ABS 180 cc bike
3) Its a rough ride and aggressively postured. Recommended only for people who like the Z shaped seating posture. People with troubled back should not even consider RTR.

- - - Updated - - -

Partially true due to the sporty postition. Also, the fact that it's a boke only for short/avg height riders, and people with 5"10 or higher heights would face a bit problem.

Some poeple find that postition quite good, but some refrain from it (preferring typical bullet style seating).

I'll say take a test ride for at least good 5 kms, then decide. RTR's maneuverability is just top notch (no competiiton on that front), and gives much less issue than at least Pulsar.

Agree with rest of it but not the height factor. :) I am 5 10 and I dont find the ride short. The seating makes up for the generally short looking body (it looks so partially because of the dome).

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I found pulsar 150 to be uncomfortable too after 140kms ride. Probably best to take rest after every hour. But havn't been on longer rides.
I won't be riding for 140 kms, its one of the total up and down distance to my home and office. I usually take car if I am driving in that route. :p

3) Its a rough ride and aggressively postured. Recommended only for people who like the Z shaped seating posture. People with troubled back should not even consider RTR.

Yes.. this is my concern, so won't be considering it.

Last edited:

ashs1

Padawan
Unicorn is a very comfortable bike indeed. But, imo, its looks feel a bit dated. If you aren't concerned with looks, Unicorn is a good choice. If looks matter, check out the CB trigger. It is almost identical in specs to the Unicorn. The main difference is the looks. Highly recommended to test drive both bikes before choosing.

From Bajaj Stable, atm, I wouldn't recommend anything from the pulsar series as the 2 main bikes Pulsar 150 & Pulsar 180 are way too dated. Both these bikes, will however, recieve a major upgrade in 2-3 months.
The Discover series is for those who are mileage conscious. & speaking from personal experience, These bikes tend to become a bit hard to manage after 4-5 years or so..Still, i'd say the bajaj Discover 125ST or the new bajaj bajaj Discover 125 might suit you. :)
Bajaj Avenger is also a great VFM & comfortable bike , but since your priority seems to be maneuverability, i feel this is not a good choice.

If you can wait though, Suzuki Gixxer will be launched Shortly.
A FZ 170 is alos on the cards.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
There is a new model in Discover its 125M , looked good, I didn't see the other ST models.

also Trigger was too fancy, and has shorter pillion rider seat.

I am not sure if I am willing to wait for 2-3 months for the new model. Pulsar though dates is a very tested model. Investing in any new model will be risky cause we will not know if there is any problem which might occur after a few months of use. FZ is out of the question, its not comfortable for me.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I myself use Yamaha SS125. But I would not recommend it against Unicorn, but I would like to suggest this: Suzuki GS150R.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Agree with rest of it but not the height factor. :) I am 5 10 and I dont find the ride short. The seating makes up for the generally short looking body (it looks so partially because of the dome).

I said on feedback of other people. I too am almost 5"9 and feel fully comfortable.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Will be going today for a test ride for both pulsar and bikes from Honda. will try to check Suzuki GS150 if possible. Will book the one which I will feel comfortable.

I am more aligned towards Black Pulsar.. but lets see :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Aah...not black pulsar. Doesn't look good.

And for safety, choose one with brighter color. Red is fine.

I can't press enough that how many times I have avoided black cars at the end point of a to be collision on hardly lit Indian roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom