Best & Fastest Download Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
Being a student of computer networking I can tell you one thing: Download managers have no impact on your download speed. They cannot magically increase speeds over ur bandwidth limit. The only thing download managers are good for is to either schedule / organize your downloads and to pause / resume downloads. I've tried hundreds of them, and never found any single one to be anything special. All do the same thing, some have ads, some dont, some look nice etc. At the end, I just use the DownloadThemAll extention with firefox, which saves me the trouble of installing a third party downloader.

Cheers
Aditya

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
^^: i don't agree, surely they don't increase your default speed, but they do influence the speed at which the file is downloaded, the difference becomes obvious with a connection like mine (2mbps broadband)
with DAP, i get average download speeds of 200kbps while downloading windows vista, and when i stick to my normal firefox downloader, the speed is always fluctuating with a rate between 100-170kbps, mostly around 110kbps

adit_sen

In the zone
@jz2linkinpark: we actually had a benchmark test in our uni as part of our assignment for http bandwidth tests. What we saw was all download acclarators do is keep sending repeated requests to the server for the files, and thus try to maintain download priority from the server, and in theory tries to gain most bandwidth from the server. But there's only so much that it can do.
We tested using a 40mb file using a normal IE 'save file' download, the speed showed 70kbps, and DAP showed 140kbps. But when we monitored the actual bandwidth used by each individual program, IE was using ~68.7kbps and DAP was using ~71kbps!!! So don't trust the speeds that is shown. Use a clock and measure ur download times if you're not convinced. You'll see for yourself.

Cheers
Aditya

hey wat download managers generally do is they break a downloading file into 4-5 parts & download seperately, u wont c the difference with dial ups but sure in bb u notice it...but wat the dap8 claims i dont think so that its true....downloading faster as much as 400%.....i dont agree at all.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
What download managers do is that,
- they try to find the shortest way to to the downloading server
- then they divide/split the information in small parts/packets
- packets r downloaded randomly --> I type of download managers
packets r downloaded in sequence --> II type of download managers
- when all packets r succesfully downloaded, they r reassembled in case of I type & rejoined in case of II (faster than I)
- some provide facility of sheduling, & IE is not in this category & also IE is I type while Oera is II type.

I have got this information over internet last year & I m so sorry, since I don't have its link. It's my habbit that whenever I got such information (even from this forum), I take a print-out with my Dotmatrix. I hope it will b useful.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
I know friends that my post is not completely related with this topic but I don't want to start a new thread for such info that's why I posted it here.

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I hv used FDM in past but it crashed many times on my comp and asked for sending Error Reports to the developers, so I stopped using it :(

Then I tried Flashget and really it was awesome :) But recently it stopped downloading from Rapidshare, thats why I stopped using it.

And now-a-days I'm using IDM and very much satisfied with it :D

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
What Download managers do is break-up the download into fragments and increase the pulse rate between download bits. IE cannot do that. It rather completes each bit at-a-time. So we will definetly see considerable reduction in the time for download using download mamagers.
I would recommend Internet Download Manager. It is awesome in reducing the time between pulse rates. Download Accelarator Plus is a crap. Stay away from it.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
download managers only decrease the overall time taken by splitting into parts.

i am using Internet Download Accelerator and find it gud. also, Opera's download manager is excellent. i download 1 MB in one second sometimes (really!!!). also DownThemAll for firefox is very gud.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Even if they do breakup a file, your bandwitdh isnt unlimited. each file is actualy downloading at 1/4th your bandwith. therefore by simple math the file takes the same ammount of time to download.
All these managers do is ensure your connection is highly efficient thus the "noticed" step up in speed.
I feel downloaded managers are requider only to pause and resume downloads. the managers that come bundled with firefox or opera are good enough to do that and atleast they dont come riddled with spyware.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
WARNING: Download Accelarator Plus comes with a spyware. That's what my Counter Spyware says. It's not harmful though, but don't you want a spyware free computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.