Before They Spoiled the Software - 13 app we liked better before they were "improved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Re: Before They Spoiled the Software - 13 app we liked better before they were "impro

Nav11aug said:
@ankur... now that... is a really bad suggestion

Well thats the only solution to the problem..
Either he can have his security or freedom from permission alerts..
I believe UAC is for beginners and not for intermediate or advanced users...

Nav11aug

In the zone
XP SP2 is sorta very good.. infact there was an article on ZDNET saying "Is Windows XP too good for Microsoft's own good? "

*blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=759

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Most of the people complaining about Vista hardly use it.

Out of the 13 apps mentioned, I have used very few. I go with winamp and acrobat being spoilt but love the new WMP and messengers.

Nav11aug

In the zone
The problem is that there isn't a warning saying "Loading... ad infinitum"

And that there is very little memory to actually load the document after loading the program , the mammoth that it is.

Nav11aug

In the zone
Re: Before They Spoiled the Software - 13 app we liked better before they were "impro

that is really strange , did you use Adobe Speedup or something to stop loading some of the plugins?

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I don't understand why windows media player is in the list. I feel wmp11 is the best of all wmps. I stopped using winamp because of it.

nirubhai

Broken In
recent versions of ACDSee are much bulky... takes ages to load. i uninstalled it immediately!

i still love to use ACDSee v2.4
its lite n integrates well with windows... with all functions i need to view images

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Those who say Adobe reader is slow & eats more RAM compare it to Foxit reader, right? Well, tell me, how many features does Foxit supports compared to Adobe reader when showing a PDF file full of Multimedia, real time 3d animation & Models, encrypted forms, online tools etc..

Any software when loaded with features will get complex & eat more RAM, thats the holy truth of software industry. Deal with it. If you want to use a new software with many new features then get better hardware. If u don't want the new software then stick to the old hardware & stop complaining about resource usage of new software. Even Windows 98 with IE 4 opens Yahoo mail classic fine, even WMP 6.4 in Windows 2000 opens DivX files fine, just that the computer fails to playback a 480p DivX file because the computer was purchased in 1998 when 480p video did not exist.

Firefox 2.0 eats a lot of RAM, I understand there might be memory leaks & bugs, but compare Firefox 2.0 to 1.0 in features & then say firefox 2.0 eats more RAM for no reason.

Nero 5 was good & used to eat less RAM. Oh plz....Nero 5 didn't had Blu ray & HD DVD Burning support, it didn't feature new drive support, it didn't support direct DivX to mpeg2 conversion while making a DVD or Nero Recode support etc. If you have a old computer & if nero 5 is all u need & working fine for you cos u don't need the new features of nero 8 then why r u blaming nero 8 for becoming a memory hog? Just keep using Nero 5, Those who are running Nero 8 with 2 GB RAM don't have a problem using it. Either stick to what u have or stop whining when a software demands more RAM just cos it is providing 25 new features over the previous version.

We do need better & quality code, & that is why I prefer .net over any other developement environment. The code is very very small for many things. Zeeshan even made a fully working audio player based on WMP engine in 1 day of 1 MB only....(Work in progress, we are adding more features).

goobimama

 Macboy
While the fact of evolution can't be avoided, the difference in performance of Foxit reader vs Adobe Acrobat reader is astonishing (at least on a 3Ghz CPU).

The point of this article is exactly that. It's about taking a perfectly working model, PDF, and screwing it up with all kinds of multimedia thingies that no one really needs. And to support those multimedia features which few people use, the rest have to roam around with a bloated app. Instead, a plugin model would have suited best... or maybe an Acrobat Reader Lite...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
While the fact of evolution can't be avoided, the difference in performance of Foxit reader vs Adobe Acrobat reader is astonishing (at least on a 3Ghz CPU).

Sure, plz use Adobe reader speedup or remove the useless plugins from the "plugins" folder of Adobe reader & u will get all the speed u were missing on a 3GHz CPU back. I m doing it here, & Foxit reader is one a portable app for me.

It's about taking a perfectly working model, PDF, and screwing it up with all kinds of multimedia thingies that no one really needs.

You obviously have not worked in a pro environment where distributing documents with forms, 3d data for CAD etc is essential & it should be cross platform. Adobe added those feature when people asked for it. No software company wastes resources & money developing a feature which no one asked for.

And to support those multimedia features which few people use, the rest have to roam around with a bloated app. Instead, a plugin model would have suited best... or maybe an Acrobat Reader Lite...

Adobe reader & Photoshop is the best example of plugin model, it is already there. Just read what I wrote above :)

Suppose Adobe provides Acrobat Lite, without any 3d model animation or encryption or integrated video playback etc. Fine, then one day the user find out that he needs to read a PDF which has these things but he can't cos he is using Adobe reader lite...now he has to download the full Adobe Reader again, wait for it to download & install so that he can read a document with a 3d model in it...gr8, I hope u go & answer to him when he asks " Why can't adobe provide this inbuilt already? :mad:"

You wanna make adobe reader a "lite" application, go to the plugins folder & move the plugins to "Optional" folder

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
There is also high pressure on companies to roll out their products within a specific time limit due to competition so they end up releasing half baked buggy softwares which are then polished by subsequent patches.NER0 is a perfect example to this and so is Windows Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom