Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
every good PSU ( or at-least any model of a particluar ) series has some review or made by some well known players in the PSU market and post some other specs like MTBF, the temps the PSUs were tested, +12V rating etc. - try to find those.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Avoid recommending CX V2 series as of now. I am getting too many complaints of eventual failures as of now. I've heard that AX series psu dies off and the only one thing that was noticed by a friend and in couple of cases by me is that they use APC UPS. Not I am saying don't recommend AX series, but please do ask people who have reported AX series' death and see if they use APC UPS or any other.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
What happened to FSP, CM (gx)??? Antec has basiq series but I am not sure how good they are so better off checking the reviews of those models. They have 350 and 450 IINM. Antec India said that they replace the psu and not repair so....

tkin

Back to school!!
What happened to FSP, CM (gx)??? Antec has basiq series but I am not sure how good they are so better off checking the reviews of those models. They have 350 and 450 IINM. Antec India said that they replace the psu and not repair so....
We get CM GX in kolkata at least, the entire range, but FSP is long gone :(

PS: What about Gigabyte, didn't they make a cheap SMPS?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Gigabyte was brought by some small-time distri but I am not sure. But looking at how series of psu brands have dissapeared, stick to those companies who have offices here. Gigabyte has offices here but that's only for motherboards. Antec and Corsair has a management here. Problem with distris is that if they have some dispute they wiill ditch it, having a management from the brand ensures that if they loose a distri at the very least they'll put someone else.

This is also to point out that people should refer to sites that have proper testing methology- such as anandtech, hardocp, hardware secrets, Silent PC Review: especially Silent Mike's blog post where he puts up such posts whenever is required: Seasonic 520W Platinum Fanless: Sample No. 3 | silentpcreview.com

tkin

Back to school!!
Gigabyte was brought by some small-time distri but I am not sure. But looking at how series of psu brands have dissapeared, stick to those companies who have offices here. Gigabyte has offices here but that's only for motherboards. Antec and Corsair has a management here. Problem with distris is that if they have some dispute they wiill ditch it, having a management from the brand ensures that if they loose a distri at the very least they'll put someone else.

This is also to point out that people should refer to sites that have proper testing methology- such as anandtech, hardocp, hardware secrets, Silent PC Review: especially Silent Mike's blog post where he puts up such posts whenever is required: Seasonic 520W Platinum Fanless: Sample No. 3 | silentpcreview.com
Johnny guru?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ I've given examples. Like that if you see, I can point out atleast 1 person in xtremesystems who has the equipments/used the equipments from the manufacturer to evaluate the psu. Having the technical knowledge is even more important than having testing apparatus.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

there's still so less PSU brands available it's hard to recommend - we need manufacturers like Rosewill, Enermax, Thermaltake,Logisys,Lepa, Sparkle, Azza, Coolmax, Ocz, Zalman,NZXT to extend their PSU business here.

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
Avoid recommending CX V2 series as of now. I am getting too many complaints of eventual failures as of now. I've heard that AX series psu dies off and the only one thing that was noticed by a friend and in couple of cases by me is that they use APC UPS. Not I am saying don't recommend AX series, but please do ask people who have reported AX series' death and see if they use APC UPS or any other.

My Own CX 600 V2 Died within A Month ... GOT RMA and the guy where I got it took back and then got GS 700 from Him....I Did Not Used ANY UPS ,,, Nither Using Now :p

jeetu

Broken In
As far as i know There are 3 versions of Corsair CX430
1. The original CX430 was without 80 plus certification which came in bluish box. I didn't buy it because of that reason.
2. CX 430 v2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) came in brown box with 80 plus certification. 28A on 12V rail. I bought 2 early last year and using them with 9600GT and HD7750 running without any issue on.
3. A new version of CX 430 v2 is in market now (CP-9020046-UK) with 80 plus Bronze certification. 32A on 12V rail. Its running without much trouble on last 2 days on Core2 Duo with lightweight nvidia GT630.

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
Will The CX 430 Do For A 24/7 6 TB Nas as Earlier My CX 600 V2 Failed ...
C2D 1.8
2GB Ram
2tb Baracuda X3
No Gpu

Whats Up With This VS Series !!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
should work just fine ... even the CX 400 and VS series well it's made for Asian countries only and may be lower in quality compared to CX series.

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey guys suggest me a psu in budget of 3.5k

My current rig :
CPU: AMD phenom II X4 B25 (4th core unlocked athlon X3 425)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA78LMT-S2P
Ram: 4GB Corsair value select 1333mhz
GPU: none
HDD: 1TB WD Green
ODD: asus 16x burner

I need a reliable psu (i'll use it for atleast 5yrs). Should be able to handle future upgrades (low-med end components) like sub 8k cpu, gtx650/7790 or similar gpu 4-5 HDDs. I'll also use this pc to download huge files sometimes during holidays (17-18hrs per day)
I am totally noob about psus as i've been using a local one since last 3yrs

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys suggest me a psu in budget of 3.5k

My current rig :
CPU: AMD phenom II X4 B25 (4th core unlocked athlon X3 425)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA78LMT-S2P
Ram: 4GB Corsair value select 1333mhz
GPU: none
HDD: 1TB WD Green
ODD: asus 16x burner

I need a reliable psu (i'll use it for atleast 5yrs). Should be able to handle future upgrades (low-med end components) like sub 8k cpu, gtx650/7790 or similar gpu 4-5 HDDs. I'll also use this pc to download huge files sometimes during holidays (17-18hrs per day)
I am totally noob about psus as i've been using a local one since last 3yrs

if you can spnd 300-400 bucks more that should get you a CX600v2.

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ Get the Corsair CX500 or the Corsair CX430v2. Both of them will be sufficient :)

thx bought corsair CX500V2 :D

if you can spnd 300-400 bucks more that should get you a CX600v2.

CX500V2 is available @ 3.9k :O

btw i have a few doubts, this PSU is rated to operate under 100V-240V AC. but my household main supply has ~250V [during night], is this safe to use this psu in 250V o_O

also, according to HW monitor, i am getting 12.29V on +12V rail is this normal and safe for other components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom