Basic Console Purchasing Guide

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Well.. Crytek is already working on NGP. Epic games is in thoughts of extending their Unreal Engine 3 to NGP. Same is with middlware programs like scaleform, ADX. NGP has a great time, ahead of it. Only if it manages to overcome the problems that PSP faced.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Umd was the main bug that affected psp sales. The drive was noisy and drained significant battery power. Psp-go was a complete failure due to lack of physical media.

So this time around, sony will be selling content on proprietary flash cards which will take care of power management problems of the original. Ofcourse digital content can be downloaded through psn.
Sony also has lots of first party studios. So games like killzone and resistance will also make their way onto ngp.

gameranand

Living to Play
@ Vamsi_krishna @ vickybat
Didn't knew these. I am in gaming but not in consoles. I once heard sometime ago that a new PSP would be launched didn't knew that it is still under development.

Baker

Albicelestes
It depends.

If you are not a man of playing too many games at once. 4GB will be just fine. As you can install the game in any other external device. But, if you have the habbit of storing the games, videos for nostalgia.. even then don't go for 160gb. It is priced very steep. Get 4GB thing and invest some amount in any external storage device. You will be fine :)

most of the time i will be playing only one game at a time....
but i didnt understand the part "installing game in other external device"..

all these games can be played from disc only right.. ? thats how i was playing in my ps2..

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Yea.. but Xbox 360 features optional game install, which allows you to install the game in console's HDD or external storage device.

Baker

Albicelestes
in that case one game can be shared across many people right.. like buy one disc and install in different xbox..?

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
To launch the game you need to insert the Disc. Installing is optional and is provided to reduce loading times and to eliminate Disc Swapping when a game has more than one disc.

Baker

Albicelestes
^^ thats great... so is this will be the same purpose of PS3 160gb and 320gb versions..?

and for a limited gamers xbox360 4gb willl be enough and more... right

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
PS3 games have mandatory installations. But in Xbox 360, its optional.

Yea, for casual gamers 4GB xBox 360 will be sufficient.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Installing the game in a console's harddrive will lead to lesser loading times. This is the primary reason of an install.

gameranand

Living to Play
@ vamsi
Please include prices of PS3 Move, XBOX 360 Kinect, PS3 with Move, Xbox 360 with Kinect.

Move Prices
PS3 with Move Prices
Kinect Price
I can't find Xbox 360 with Kinect bundle but if you find that please include that also.

Aryan

Broken In
Hi guys I'm new here. I was reading your forum and found many interesting things. But what is DLC? And can't we buy a game from US/UK and run it in PS3 from India?
And about NGP: I have lots of UMDs with movies and games<22 to be exact>. What will happen if I upgrade to NGP when its launched? Since it has no UMD Slot, how will I transfer UMD media to internal memory? My friends say that I have to buy ISO files from Sony's Site and pay for the games and movies again or download them through Illegal torrent sites and play them. Then will my UMDs will be wasted? I dont want to buy PSP 3000 when NGP will come out.

gameranand

Living to Play
Aryan said:
But what is DLC?
Its Downloadable Content. It is basically an extension to gameplay I mean it will add more missions, weapons. It is usually released after the release of the game from developers to keep gamers busy with their game for some more time and it also makes money for them.:)):)).
Aryan said:
And can't we buy a game from US/UK and run it in PS3 from India?
Region issues. Every PS3 ia region coded so only content from that region will play on that PS3. Its like desktops where if you want to play content from other region you have to change the region of that DVD writer. I don't know if thats available on PS3 or not.

Aryan said:
I have lots of UMDs with movies and games<22 to be exact>. What will happen if I upgrade to NGP when its launched? Since it has no UMD Slot, how will I transfer UMD media to internal memory? My friends say that I have to buy ISO files from Sony's Site and pay for the games and movies again or download them through Illegal torrent sites and play them. Then will my UMDs will be wasted? I dont want to buy PSP 3000 when NGP will come out.
I guess Sony will resolve that matter and give some option to UMD owners to extract their data. At least I hope so there maybe other methods also but I don't know about them.

Aryan

Broken In
Hi thanks for reply.
I also wanted to know about region coding. I have seen many people saying that all games of PS3 are region Free? Is it true? And for PCs, cant we just buy two DVD Drives each of different regions to play Region locked games on a single PC?

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Hi thanks for reply.
I also wanted to know about region coding. I have seen many people saying that all games of PS3 are region Free? Is it true?

Yes, PS3 games are not region coded. Only DLCs are region coded.

And for PCs, cant we just buy two DVD Drives each of different regions to play Region locked games on a single PC?

PC games are not region coded. So, that won't be a necessity.

Aryan

Broken In
Hey then please clarify one thing: The PS3 is region coded and not the games? or is it the other way round? I know that Blu Ray Movies are region coded and XBOX 360 games too. And if I order a PS3/PC game from amazon USA, what will stop me from playing the game-Region Code or DLC or my PS3 bought in India? Im not into online gaming and internet on console so its not a limiting factor.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hi, I'm actually not a gamer, it's just a timepass for me, like when I've nothing to do I play few stages, so it's like that.

I played few titles like:
NFS Most Wanted (Completed It)
NFS Shift (Didn't liked it, uninstalled after 2 hours)
Prince of Persia (All releases but only few steps)
Tomb Raider (Completed 1, but played few steps on 2)
Call of Duty (Played each and every version and completed it, I liked it most)
etc...can't recall any more.

So now I'm actually planning to get a console, after reading this whole thread, it looks like they are much higher prices than my price bracket.

I thought it'd be 2000/- or so, and after looking at the prices I was shocked. Now please don't laugh at me, I really don't have any idea about gaming or consoles.

I've a 8bit console on which I used to play Mario and all, but it's not of any use now, the PCB burned I guess many years ago.

So do you think should I get a console?? Does consoles supports all these games?? Or should I just continue playing few steps on PC. Well, if I get console then also I'm not going to play more than few steps, but still.

Well, after looking at the prices I think I can afford PS2, but the thread says it's coming to end, so will it be a good option to go for it if I go for consoles??

One more thing, I don't know will asking for it harm my reputation like banned or infraction or removed from Mod list, but the thing is I'm not going to buy games. Ya if they are priced at Rs. 100/- or so, it's ok. Otherwise I won't go up than that for buying games. So you know what I want to ask :p

So please suggest.

gameranand

Living to Play
krishnandu.sarkar said:
I thought it'd be 2000/- or so, and after looking at the prices I was shocked. Now please don't laugh at me, I really don't have any idea about gaming or consoles.
Well this quote of yours gave me a shock. :))
krishnandu.sarkar said:
So do you think should I get a console?? Does consoles supports all these games?? Or should I just continue playing few steps on PC. Well, if I get console then also I'm not going to play more than few steps, but still.
Well consoles have their advantages and disadvantages but for a casual gamer like you I won't recommend console at all. Just play on your PC.
krishnandu.sarkar said:
One more thing, I don't know will asking for it harm my reputation like banned or infraction or removed from Mod list, but the thing is I'm not going to buy games. Ya if they are priced at Rs. 100/- or so, it's ok. Otherwise I won't go up than that for buying games. So you know what I want to ask
If this is the case with you PLEASE DON"T BUY A CONSOLE. Games for console are very pricey like Rs.2500+. Although on PC they are quite cheaper but not at 100 at all. :D

Just go on with PC there are a hell lot of games for you to play on PC itself then why invest in console.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Just go on with PC there are a hell lot of games for you to play on PC itself then why invest in console.

Well, nothing like that, but looking at peoples spend their day on consoles, my lust for console increased.

And you know, I wanted to try playing racing games with wheel, which I see many peoples attach to the consoles.

And I mean, I know I can get PC games without buying them. But I don't know that method even exists or not for Console games :p

Top Bottom