Bandwidth requirement Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawanrh

Right off the assembly line
hello,
I need help for providing internet connection for our college cyber centre. The Cyber centre has about 50 computers.
1. What speeds do you estimate to be required for general browsing (Mails, orkut, google, etc. and maybe even some minor downloading, and images, etc.)
I am speculating a requirement of 2Mbps (mega bit), considering that at least 60 % of the times, the cyber centre is running with all computers running. i.e. All 50 being used.. 2Mbps/50 = 41 Kbps. This is a very Lame calculation, but still provides an idea as to saying this is fairly sufficient for the purpose.
I would like to hear as to what you all feel.

2. Further, in one of the previous months, on a different internet connection we clocked about 100 GB (Giga Byte) usage per month at its peak. Considering this, take a look at my calculations,
- 100 GB per month,
- per day 4 GB (Cyber centre running 25 Days),
- 0.571 GB per hour (running 7 hours a day) = 585 MB per hour
- 9.75 MB per minute
- 0.1625 MBps (mega Byte per second)
- 1.3 Mbps (Mega bit per second)

So I ended up with a conclusion that 1Mbps even with a 1:1 ratio will not be enough.. and it has to be a 2 Mbps.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Pawan

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
the problem is data transefar... DataOne is not for u... Certainly not... Look for Leased line as there you gonna have unlimited usage and every system would get a 128kbps stady connection as set up would be different than DATAONE.... as with DATAONE the DATA transefar would post a huge bill... as with college computer... u cant restrict user to do such huge datatransefar...

Look for Leased line... Idle for ur need... *www.bsnl.co.in/service/leased.htm

OP
P

pawanrh

Right off the assembly line
@ms123: [:)] thanks! hey 41 kbps is way above what is actually required, you know just for browsing, coz file sharing and such stuff will be banned.. So 41 kbps should be more than enough.. Was looking to see if someone will suggest a lower speed as well! [:)] Traffic is generally in bursts, like when a user clicks, and page loads, then theres a lean period with no transfer.. right? Also, we have considerd that on FULL load, which wont always be!

@Saurav: I was very much talking of a leased Line.. We are suffering with dataone plans at the moment, which provide a contention ratio of 1:50.. Jesus!! We have clocked 100 GB a month with dataone and so we know we need a leased line now! leased lines do work up expensive though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom