Balance between portability and performance (60 - 70k)

pickster

Professional Layabout.
Hello guys, I'm looking for a laptop to buy in the next few weeks..

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Around 60 - 70 K
EDIT: I can increase the budget to around 80K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen - Preferred.
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Programming, app development, watching movies, etc.
I'll also be gaming frequently (the usual suspects, FIFA, COD, Battlefield - mainly FPS games).

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Sony, Lenovo
b. Dislike: HP

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Nothing in particular.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution: 1080p (Full HD)
Battery back up: As much as possible, obviously ;)
Purchase place: Anything. Either online, or through local dealers. (I live in New Delhi).

I've been browsing the other threads and I realise that if I want an out and out performing machine, I should go for the Lenovo Y510P. But it'll be pretty heavy at 2.7kg and I'm not too sure about it's build quality.
Can anyone comment on that?

I'd prefer if I got something which had good performance but in a smaller/lighter form factor.
Also, please tell me if I'm hoping for too much, and I'll change the requirements accordingly.

Thank you for your inputs. :)

Last edited:

i72600k

The Physicist!
If you need full HD resolution I think in your budget this laptop would be fine:

Sony VAIO Fit 15 F15A13SN/B Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph/ Touch) Rs. 67721.81 Price in India - Buy Sony VAIO Fit 15 F15A13SN/B Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph/ Touch) Black Online - Sony: Flipkart.com

If you can afford y510p, then go with it with your eyes closed!

OP
pickster

pickster

Professional Layabout.
If you need full HD resolution I think in your budget this laptop would be fine:

Sony VAIO Fit 15 F15A13SN/B Laptop

If you can afford y510p, then go with it with your eyes closed!

And if I don't go for a 1080p screen?
Also, it has a 3rd gen i5. Would it matter a lot as compared to 4th gen?

How is the build quality and everything of Y510P?

Remember i7 4th gen that you usually get in that price range are ULV models which have performance equivalent to 3rd gen i5 Mobile processors (i7 4500U == i5 3230M)

Companies are really looting people & making them fool now............ Y510p's price seems legitimate compared to others(also keeping in mind the weak rupee)

HP Envy 15-J048TX Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Lenovo Ideapad Z500 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph): Compare Computers: Flipkart.c

And if I don't go for a 1080p screen?
Also, it has a 3rd gen i5. Would it matter a lot as compared to 4th gen?

How is the build quality and everything of Y510P?
Y510p's build quality is same as that of Y500 (which i own). I would say that the build quality is great, better than Samsung series 5. You would love the red backlit keyboard. Screen is glossy, which can cause some problems but other laptops also have glossy screens, so no alternative(except Samsung series 5, which seems to be discontinued). Speakers are good for a laptop, not enough bass though(Series 5 has best laptop speakers I have heard)

So overall Y510p is great, 2.5 or 2.7kg, doesn't matter much, unless its an ultrabook with weight less than 2kg

Y510p is worth the money spent on it.

Does the Indian version have glossy or anti glare screen ??

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I read the title " Balance between Portability and Performance", so I am going to suggest accordingly.

1. First of all let me clear some air here(A general doubt of many people), The 4th Gen(Haswell) series has very little to offer in terms of improved performance, Haswell was designed specifically to improve battery life in portable devices whilst keeping the same performance levels along-with better integrated graphics(which still are no match for dedicated GPU's)

This is quite evident from the below comparision

Intel Core i7 4700MQ vs 3630QM

2. By " Balance between Portability and Performance" I am assuming you mean a laptop with great battery life(6+ Hrs) with no compromise on performance.

Now the Lenovo Y510P is a " No compromise on performance" laptop as others have mentioned earlier this thread. That been said Y510P performs very poorly in terms of battery life.

Lenovo markets the battery life as 3.5 Hrs, but its a "HOAX", generally quad core proccys and battery life dont go hand in hand, also the y510p does have switchable graphics so the GT 755M inside it will be eating a large chunk of your battery life.

To sum up I don't think the Y510P will manage anything beyond 2 Hrs if you are watching movies or doing anything beyond web browing etc.

I too was looking for these attributes a month back and after doing some extensive research I bought this.

Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop - Mainstream laptops from Dell

The Inspiron 15 R has a fast dual core haswell proccy and the graphic duties are handled by a fast AMD RADEON 8850M.

This laptop will perform marginally slower than the Y510P but it is a battery life champion !( 6+ Hrs), do anything you wish due to the ULV proccy.

The Ideal Mix of performance and battery life for me. In other words the most "Versatile" laptop I have ever seen

ANYBODY WHO QUESTIONS THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS LAPTOP IS WELCOME TO CHALLENGE ME IN A BENCHMARK AND GAME SHOOTOUT !!!!!, THIS LAPPY WILL BEAT EVERYTHING AT EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE Y510P and Y500

Hope I helped you in aking a decision.

Cheers!
Abhijit

OP
pickster

pickster

Professional Layabout.
Awesome, I'll definitely keep the Y510P in mind.
If I want to sacrifice a little performance for smaller size and weight, which models would fit the bill?

BTW, I can increase the budget by a bit to around 80K.

i72600k

The Physicist!
Well If you don't need a FHD screen, then I think for the title of this thread, HP Envy 15 J048tx would be a good pick! i7 4700MQ, GT 740M and slim design seems a good blend for performance and portability!

$hadow

Geek in making
Y510p's build quality is same as that of Y500 (which i own). I would say that the build quality is great, better than Samsung series 5. You would love the red backlit keyboard. Screen is glossy, which can cause some problems but other laptops also have glossy screens, so no alternative(except Samsung series 5, which seems to be discontinued). Speakers are good for a laptop, not enough bass though(Series 5 has best laptop speakers I have heard)

So overall Y510p is great, 2.5 or 2.7kg, doesn't matter much, unless its an ultrabook with weight less than 2kg

Does the Indian version have glossy or anti glare screen ??

Lenovo did sell initial models with anti glare screen but later on I found out that they have again changed it to glare. Don't know what is wrong with them.

Top Bottom