Badly confused between Xperia U and Xperia Sola.

suyash24seven

Journeyman
hi,
i am willing to purchase a handset in the next one or two days. i've shortlisted xperia u and xperia sola, but can't decide which one to buy.
i have some questions, and would be very grateful if some owners or users of these two handsets can please clarify.

1. on xperia u, can i load apps on the part of memory (4GB) apart from the 2GB dedicated to apps? or can i load apps only of 2GB max?

2. apart from the absence of memory card slot, are there any major differences between the 2 phones? (i am aware of floating touch and tags)

3. if i buy the phone in white color, is it difficult to clean any of the phones? i've heard that xperia u has a material which one can't wipe clean with a slightly wet cloth.

i already own an ipod touch (32GB), so 6GB memory is more than enough for me. so the answer to the first question will probably decide it for me. also, i find the transparent strip on the xperia u very cool! :p

super confused! please help.

and budget isn't a big issue. i can afford sola, but don't wanna spend extra bucks unreasonably.

thanks! :)

reddick

Mobile Freak
I've purchased Xperia U six days ago n I'm quite satisfied frm d device :razz:
You can use d whole 4 GB mem. and remaining 2 GB is reserved as phone's own mem.
In my case 4 GB is much more for me so I buy it.
Secondly It has gr8 looks, weights less, firm grip n ICS upgradation is a further plus point.
Go for it with close eyes :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. from my general knowledge, 2GB will act like the internal memory of other mobiles and you should be able to transfer part of some apps to 4GB.
2. hit the link in my signature and compare it head to head. too many differences to list.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I'd actually suggest you to go for Sola; it's well worth the price tag: You get expandable memory, a decent amount of internal storage and NFC. The only thing you lose is a front facing camera.

I got a Neo L recently: probably would have been better off taking the Sola because the neo L is based on 2011 Xperias and has incomplete firmware (no face detection in camera, no zoom, no clear bass in music player, no NFC). The only plus is the 4-inch IPS screen (without Bravia; all others currently available are regular TFT LCD with Bravia) and a front camera.

rider

as Kratos
Best phone in your budget is galaxy s advance:LINK Use bank coupon to get it for 17,660 rupees. It has better and bigger 4" Super AMOLED display and 768 MB RAM. Also the samsung has officially announced jelly update for Galaxy S Advance.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
-1 for Xperia U .. I had a look at it recently when I was searching for a good phone. I was very disappointed with it. build quality and feel was not good at all. on the other hand Xperia P which my colleague got was really fantastic.

Terabyte

In the zone
If your budget allows you to buy Sola get it, else get U.
BTW I do own Xperia U, so any queries are welcome :)

I was very disappointed with it. build quality and feel was not good at all
Seriously? :huh?:
Can you elaborate please...

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Seriously? :huh?:
Can you elaborate please...
Yes.. this happened two weeks ago. I had almost decided to go for Xperia U, I went to check checkout the device in a retail shop, so my expectation was high. when I "held" the device I was completely taken aback. it just didn't feel right. the display is too small for the size of the device. the UI response was also a little lagging. I expected a fast smooth response. After couple of minutes of usage I decided it is not worth it. I have had horrible time with my existing phone Galaxy 3 so decided against it.

all this just my two cents ..

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Built quality is good better than samsung phones I can say I love its rubberized finish.
Looks are better than Xperia Sola.Plus it has light strip which is unique.
But yeah I agree display seems smaller but not a problem for me though.
It's doesn't lag at all?I have installed like 38apps/games it doesn't lag at all.Even HD games like Shadow Gun/Nova 3 doesn't lag at all.
If you want phone with big dislay than go for XPeria Sola otherwise Xperia U.(It's 4k cheaper as well)And it has front face camera.
And yeah you can install apps on other 4gb memory too.And Xperia U will get ICS on 28th September as stated by Sony.
And last the least it's a killer device for its price.14k.

OP
S

suyash24seven

Journeyman
thanks a lot guys for all the answers :)
thanks for the clarification about the memory, i'm now certain that i can use 6GB, all for apps if i want.

one more question. does the white xperia u get dirty easily? and will it be difficult to clean it due to it's rubbery finish?
thanks! :)

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Nope it doesn't get dirty at all easily (Black one, havn't tried white yet)
And if it gets dirty just wipe it off with fabric cloth it will get cleaned with ez due to rubberised finish.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
Buddy what's ur budget? If u are willing to spend 18k then forget about everything n get xperia p without bill... I've bought it just a week before n highly satisfied with overall performance... It has same dual core cpu as u n sola but a huge 1 gig of ram which is must needed to run background apps... Higher ppi screen... 8mp cam n 1080p recording... I can play 1080p videos of any format on the stock player flawlessly..plus 16gig onboard storage...if u r a gamer then u should have a phone with more memory...big games like shadowgun, max payne, n.o.v.a. want 1-2 gig of memory to save extra data other than installation apps...so xperia u's memory won't be sufficient...xperia p has awesome screen...official ICS running like butter..no lags at all..going to write review soon...:)

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
Buddy what's ur budget? If u are willing to spend 18k then forget about everything n get xperia p without bill... I've bought it just a week before n highly satisfied with overall performance... It has same dual core cpu as u n sola but a huge 1 gig of ram which is must needed to run background apps... Higher ppi screen... 8mp cam n 1080p recording... I can play 1080p videos of any format on the stock player flawlessly..plus 16gig onboard storage...if u r a gamer then u should have a phone with more memory...big games like shadowgun, max payne, n.o.v.a. want 1-2 gig of memory to save extra data other than installation apps...so xperia u's memory won't be sufficient...xperia p has awesome screen...official ICS running like butter..no lags at all..going to write review soon...:)

How is the battery of your Xperia P ?

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
hmm..battery is less though i.e. just 1300 mAh...i agree..bt enough for me...u will need to full charge it at least once a day to get full day output..i chk fb updates 3-4 times a day, gmail 2-3 times, couple of downloads from play..whatsapps 24 hrs, skype..with these net tasks, battery will drain 90% for sure..but if u r not willing to surf on net then the bettery is more than enough...u can always set xperia's autosync account feature to off to save battery...n screen takes huge part in battery drain..so i have set it to power saver mode n 1 minute autolock...no live wallpapers..tht will suffice for sure...:) i even checked bro's defy+ which has 1700 mAh battery but that too drains as normal as xperia..i guess sony has worked pretty well to bring out max performances from each internals like cpu, gpu, battery n overall I/O devices...

Top Bottom