Audio not smooth in Feisty Fawn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi guys ,
I recently installed Feisty Fawn. Rest is working fine except that when I play music files at high volume , the sound gets broken, I mean sound gets distorted , like "aawaz phatne lagti hai". At low volume , its ok. I dont understand what is the problem???:rolleyes: Everything is fine in XP even at high volume...

One more query ,I use Raaga.com to play songs in Xp. i tried this in Feisty but it said Real Player not installed. Then I installed Real Player but still Raaga.com says somthing like "could not find appropriate hxplay or realplay in the system path to use as an embedded player". what to do ????

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
well raaga won't work. Only workaround i know of is install ie6 and realplayer windows version over wine. I miss that too since switching over to linux. But well can give this one thing a miss.

eddie

El mooooo
@kalpik: He is using Realplayer like lots of us other people. I have also tried very hard to get raaga and musicindiaonline working on Linux but it just doesn't work. One of the possible reasons I have heard is that realplayer is compiled with GCC 3.2.0 while latest browsers are compiled with GCC >= 3.4. This leads to the plugin not working properly but I am not sure if it is a valid theory.

Anyways, I have been using a site *www.hindisongs.net/ for listening to Hindi numbers but other language sites I have not found.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Thanx guys for replying.
@mehul, I have tried installing IE6 using wine many before but in vain.
@kalpik, I m using RealPlayer10 Gold as downloaded through Raaga.com and sound problem is with all players like VLC, mplayer,rhythmbox,etc.
@eddie, thanx for the site.
and guys what about my first problem ???????

freebird

Debian Rocks!
as with debian and most distros u got "alsaconf" cmd.but in ubuntu,they removed that cmd :( .now what is ur audio card post here.also there are some packages like alsa-tool-gui,alsa-firmware loaders etc which will help with some audio cards.another thing to check is in ubuntu feisty my experiance is it s /etc/asound.name file is not in correct format.so i copied from my debian /etc/asound.state to fix this.
A collection of GUI based ALSA utilities for specific sound hardware:
echomixer - control tool for Echoaudio soundcards
envy24control - control tool for Envy24 (ice1712) based soundcards
hdspconf - GUI program to control the Hammerfall HDSP Alsa Settings.
hdspmixer - tool to control the advanced routing features of the
RME Hammerfall DSP.
rmedigicontrol - control tool for RME Digi32 and RME Digi96 soundcards
alsa-tools
Description: ALSA software loaders for specific hardware
A collection of software loaders for specific hardware:
cspctl - Sound Blaster 16 ASP/CSP control program
hdsploader - firmware loader for the RME Hammerfall DSP cards
mixartloader - firmware loader for Digigram's miXart board sound drivers
pcxhrloader - firmware loader for Digigram pcxhr compatible soundcards
sscape_ctl - SoundScape control utility and firmware loader
usx2yloader - firmware loader for Tascam USX2Y USB soundcards
vxloader - firmware loader for Digigram VX soundcards
alsa-firmware loaders
will they help?

AND,haan! do u have ur speakers right? :))

eddie

El mooooo
Open alsamixer in a terminal window and see the status of your Master and PCM volumes. Try keeping your PCM and Master at some where around 70-75% of the max. For more volume, use the controls (if any) in your speaker set.

Also tell us about your sound hardware, the media player you are using, the back end in the media player and the type of files played.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
@eddie:from my experiance in feisty,i am not able to store volume levels(ac'97 6 chnl)with alsactl command.dont know what to do.lastly copied stock debian's /etc/asound.state to fix the problem.i know about asound too.but lacks experiance.

eddie

El mooooo
By any chance could it be that Ubuntu doesn't come with alsa-utils pre-installed? Have you tried installing from Package Manager?

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I have Intex speakers 2600 Watt and media player I normally use is VLC player, though the problem is with all the players.
My speakers are fine because there is no problem in XP even at High Volumes.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well i think prob with linux sound system is that it's max is a lot more amplified than the max vol in xp . in simple words when u set vol to max in ubuntu it is amost 150% of what u get at max in xp , i had same prob too , keep ur max vol to 80-85 n then use sound control in ur sys to increase vol

Last edited:

freebird

Debian Rocks!
^A very well supported card by ALSA.

@eddie:alsa-utils is installed default in feisty,but ubuntu removed alsaconf from it.
package contnts shows a "asoundconf" cmd dont know wat?
Code:
@safa-marva:/# dpkg --listfiles alsa-utils
/usr/bin/alsamixer
/usr/bin/amidi
/usr/bin/amixer
/usr/bin/aplay
/usr/bin/iecset
/usr/bin/aconnect
/usr/bin/aplaymidi
/usr/bin/arecordmidi
/usr/bin/aseqdump
/usr/bin/aseqnet
/usr/bin/speaker-test
/usr/bin/asoundconf
/sbin
/sbin/alsactl
@zeeshan:
ALSA controls linux's audio,alternatively OSS was there.
*www.alsa-project.org/

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well i think prob with linux sound system is that it's max is a lot more amplidied than the max vol in xp . in simple words when u set vol to max in ubuntu it is amost 150% of what u get at max in xp , i had same prob too , keep ur max vol to 80-85 n then use sound control in ur sys to increase vol

This is what I've exactly done and the sound is fine now :)

eddie

El mooooo
@freebird: yeah looks like they specifically removed alsaconf from alsa-utils and gave very weird reasons as well
*bugs.launchpad.net/alsa-utils/+bug/29597

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom