[Attention]- Symantec, Norton 2006 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Symantec suffers ActiveX and licensing problems

As details of flaw in 2006 products released, users report subscription issues.

Symantec has released details of a potential security threat in its 2006 products, involving ActiveX software provided by a third-party developer. Meanwhile, some users are apparently reporting problems with their subscriptions, as false warnings of expiry are issued.

The ActiveX flaw, which could be used to initiate a stack overflow and gain remote access to a machine running the vulnerable software, affects several products in Symantec's 2006 range, including Norton AntiVirus 2006 and Norton Internet Security 2006. The current 2007 range, including Norton 260, are not thought to be at risk, and no attempts to exploit the vulnerability have been observed.

Symantec has released detection for any potential exploits, and has provided details on how to check if software is vulnerable so that a patch can be applied, here. A Secunia alert on the issue is here.

According to a report in The Register (here), Norton 2006 users have also been experiencing problems with their subscriptions, with false messages warning of imminent expiry of their licence to access updates. A fix for the problem is thought to be available (here), and users may be able to upgrade to the 2007 line, which is not thought to be affected by the problem.

championspike

Right off the assembly line
Why post about norton or symantec company cos i have used alot of times but when i used symantec 9 it couldnt remove a virus so i installed 8 and it removed immediately. I just want to know if symantec 8 can remove a virus which cant be removed by 9, then why do they create more upgraded antivirus like symantec 9 or 10.

Recently i faced alot of problems with norton or symantec and so now i use AVG an perfect antivirus software which is better than norton or any other software.
Why waste money in norton when u get AVG for free...:cool:

Updates: norton or symantec's updates are only 2 updates in a month but for AVG everyday there is an update. So new virus created tomorrow i have the cure today. what else do u want?

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
errr, dude this info is for the ones who are using Norton AV 2006:wink:

there are many people who still use NAV 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom