ASUS K55VM vs Dell 15R SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablo5789

Broken In
Hi guys,

So i have zeroed down to the ASUS K55VM and the recently released Dell 15R special edition.

Configs are as follows:

K55VM
i7 3610QM
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
1TB 5400RPM HDD
2GB Nvidia 630M
Free DOS
IceCool Technology
Instant On and Fast Boot
Price- 54.5k on flipkart (haven't seen price anywhere else, any vendor suggestions?)

15R SE
i7 3612QM
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
2GB ATI 7730M
1TB 5400RPM HDD
Win 7 Home Premium
3 USB 3.0 ports
ATI Endure
Price - 55.9k on dell's website

I can't really decide which one to buy. The Asus one is awesome in every way except the graphics card (which i am quite disappointed with to be honest). The Dell one is decent in all aspects but I really like it's choice of the graphics card which is said to be at par with nVidia 640m (and in my opinion that is very good GPU at this price).

It's just that having seen all the other specs of the K55 which are so much more better than any other laptop (Minus the GPU and the FHD Display it matches Alienware M14x specs), i really can't decide whether going with Dell is the right option or not.

A few queries.

1. Asus India site does not seem to have K55 series listed but flipkart is selling it. The US site shows 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. However flipkart says there are only 2 USB 3.0 ports. I want a minimum of 2 as I already have one USB 3 enabled HDD and am planning to buy another.

• Asus laptops offer IceCool Technology. Does it make a big difference in cooling? I need this as my usage is pretty extreme. Will it remain cooler than the simple Dell Inspiron with no cooling enhancements?

• My usage includes medium to heavy gaming, video encoding, running virtual machines, decent bit of programming (which will involve turning my machine into a temporary server).

I understand the Dell one would give a good all-round performance, but does the K55 provide enough performance boost to make up for what it is lacking in the Gaming department?
So based on my concerns and requirements, which one would you guys suggest?

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
definitely ASUS, keep your eyes closed and choose ASUS, most reliable and trustworthy brand in laptops and motherboards ;)

aroraanant

Explorer
Dell will be a better option because:
You get better graphics.
Better screen(I have heard a lot of issues that Asus owners have faced but fortunately the company got it replaced almost everytime)
Better webcam
Better keyboard.
And also considering that the difference in price is not much.

And yes the icecool technology really makes a difference, I have never heard of any heating issue in Asus laptops

har

In the zone
Definitely go for Dell. The 17R will offer you at gt650m:-D at 58k if you want ultimate graphics :p

ASUS--You dont get windows, the camera is a paltry 0.3MP and the graphics is bad with only gt630m. At 50k the inspiron 14r and 15r special edition offers much much better. And ASUS screens mostly are defective.

OP
D

diablo5789

Broken In
Definitely go for Dell. The 17R will offer you at gt650m:-D at 58k if you want ultimate graphics :p

ASUS--You dont get windows, the camera is a paltry 0.3MP and the graphics is bad with only gt630m. At 50k the inspiron 14r and 15r special edition offers much much better. And ASUS screens mostly are defective.

Where do you get the price of the 17R from? The dell website does not provide it, and 58k for a HD Display(900p) with 650m will probably come with i5 3210M and 4GB RAM. So the only thing good is the Graphics card. Everything else will be going down.

And i really don't care about the camera. I never use it. Asus provide a zero dead pixel guarantee for a year too, so that would guard me against a defective screen won't it?

Dell will be a better option because:
You get better graphics.
Better screen(I have heard a lot of issues that Asus owners have faced but fortunately the company got it replaced almost everytime)
Better webcam
Better keyboard.
And also considering that the difference in price is not much.

And yes the icecool technology really makes a difference, I have never heard of any heating issue in Asus laptops

But with ASUS, the CPU is much faster.
I get double the RAM.
Zero dead pixel guarantee.
And IceCool Technology which also matters.

So you are saying that i should go for Dell despite keeping my usage in mind? I know i might regret buying not buying the Dell one right now, but what about the long run? I want it to last a minumum 3.5-4years. Will i be able to get there without proper cooling and a lower config (except the graphics) without getting frustrated? :p

Last edited:

har

In the zone
Where do you get the price of the 17R from? The dell website does not provide it, and 58k for a HD Display(900p) with 650m will probably come with i5 3210M and 4GB RAM. So the only thing good is the Graphics card. Everything else will be going down.

And i really don't care about the camera. I never use it. Asus provide a zero dead pixel guarantee for a year too, so that would guard me against a defective screen won't it?

But with ASUS, the CPU is much faster.
I get double the RAM.
Zero dead pixel guarantee.
And IceCool Technology which also matters.

So you are saying that i should go for Dell despite keeping my usage in mind? I know i might regret buying not buying the Dell one right now, but what about the long run? I want it to last a minumum 3.5-4years. Will i be able to get there without proper cooling and a lower config (except the graphics) without getting frustrated? :p

My friends always complain about asus screens. You can get it replaced of course. You can buy a new ram for 2k or so and expand it simple. The asus is 4k more and still it doesnt give you an OS. You will have to spend an extra 6k for windows. And dell will update it to windows 8 if you pay 700 rs in the coming months.

The i5 is more than enough for any use. The i7 is a bit of an overkill. If you are not into gaming,buy a vaio cb45 for the full HD goodness(believe me its awesome). Dells will last dont worry. And there is no guarentee the asus will last 4 years. I ahve been using my benq netook with its horrible cooling for 3+ years no problem.

Mu choice:
Gaming-inspiron 14r or 15r special
General-sony cb45

The ASUS isnt worth it. You may be thinking of pirating OS like most of my friends do but trust me it isnt worth it. Go original and you can get all security fixes and regular updates.

I found the 17r price on techenclave forum. But the screen is only 1600x900.

Can you please say why you feel you need an i7. An i5 is pretty good for most needs.

OP
D

diablo5789

Broken In
My friends always complain about asus screens. You can get it replaced of course. You can buy a new ram for 2k or so and expand it simple. The asus is 4k more and still it doesnt give you an OS. You will have to spend an extra 6k for windows. And dell will update it to windows 8 if you pay 700 rs in the coming months.

The i5 is more than enough for any use. The i7 is a bit of an overkill. If you are not into gaming,buy a vaio cb45 for the full HD goodness(believe me its awesome). Dells will last dont worry. And there is no guarentee the asus will last 4 years. I ahve been using my benq netook with its horrible cooling for 3+ years no problem.

Mu choice:
Gaming-inspiron 14r or 15r special
General-sony cb45

The ASUS isnt worth it. You may be thinking of pirating OS like most of my friends do but trust me it isnt worth it. Go original and you can get all security fixes and regular updates.

I found the 17r price on techenclave forum. But the screen is only 1600x900.

Can you please say why you feel you need an i7. An i5 is pretty good for most needs.

My usage involves:

1. Graphics Card Justification - medium to heavy gaming. I do want 7730M as the minimum graphics card as it will run all games on medium settings easily, some even on high. Just wondering if my below 3 needs trump this 1 need :p

• CPU justification - video encoding (i7 will take much less time to encode than an i5)

• RAM & CPU justification - running virtual machines (full OSs like Mac within windows or linux, i generally keep a dual boot of Ubuntu and Win 7). I like to keep things fresh by trying out different OSs. It would be refreshing if i could run them smoothly within windows, instead of dual/multi-booting to check out their raw performance.

• RAM & CPU justification - i am also a developer so i need an IDE, firefox, chrome a web server, database server and two Android emulators (one for 2.3 and one for 4.0) all running simultaneously. So i think i would code better if i don't have to keep cursing about a stuttering PC.

I hope this clarifies my needs. :)
For me the ideal thing would be 640M in the ASUS rig. I would jump at it.

har

In the zone
Look the answer is simple--Go for inspiron 15r with i7 option+buy extra 4gb ram for 2k or so and add it. Graphics card cant be replaced but RAM can. You also get windows+Skullcandy speakers(they are awesome !!)

So dell=55.9k+2k=57.9k(you may get it for 1k lower in shops)
Asus=54.5k
Difference=3.4k dor much much better graphics card+skullcandy speakers+original windows=ALL REQUIREMENTS MET !!

Whats the confusion here ??

har

In the zone
Every company has bad models and good models. The above graph doesnt prove anything. Just because you guy an HP doesnt mean it will explode after an year. Similarly an ASUS wont be niggle free either. What I am trying to say is dont buy a model just because its from a certain company. Just buy the one with the best specs. There are lots of unhappy asus customers buy happy Hp customers too. Just buy the best one for your requirements not a certain company name.

Dell specs is better value than asus. Thats why i recommended dell. If HP had a better one i would have suggested it. Ditto to asus :mrgreen:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Reliability
Four companies earned better-than-average marks on our survey's reliability measures, with Apple going a category-leading five for five. Samsung and Toshiba tied for the second spot, thanks to three positives and no negatives each; Samsung's strengths were in few problems on arrival, few dead laptops, and overall owner satisfaction with reliability, while Toshiba scored well on few dead laptops, few components needing replacement, and overall owner satisfaction. Asus deserves an honorable mention here for a low proportion of significant problems and better-than-average overall owner satisfaction with reliability.

Bringing up the rear in our survey results for laptop reliability are Dell's business laptops and HP's home laptops, with two worse-than-average marks and no better-than-average results, and Dell's home laptops, with three subpar marks and no positives.

SOURCE Laptop Reliability and Satisfaction: MacBooks Rule | PCWorld

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
sorry can't help you if you don't know ASUS's reliable laptops, this may help you Google :razz: :rofl:

So I don't know google :rolleyes:.

Well, Dell are pretty much reliable as compared to Asus. If the 3% difference is so important to you, then open an Asus shop.

I don't know why can't you see the VFM in both cases.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
^^^lolz as far as i know ASUS laptops have a great VFM. :razz: Dell laptops are overpriced, so can't ignore this :rofl:

and still after reading the link provided you support dell for price performance ratio, then you must open a service center of DELL :rofl:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^^^lolz as far as i know ASUS laptops have a great VFM. :razz: Dell laptops are overpriced, so can't ignore this :rofl:

Asus K55VM | Inspiron 15R | Result
i7-3610QM | i7-3612QM | Doesn't matters, but +1 for 15r
8GB RAM | 4GB RAM | Manage the cost by 1.5k
GPU- 630M| 7730M | Even near, huh ?
No OS| Win HP | Manage the cost by 6.7k
1 USB 3.0 port | 2/3 USB 3.0| +1 for inspiron
No accidental damage protection| It is there| +1 for inspiron
.3mp webcam | 1mp webcam| +1 for inspiron
Final cost= 54.5 - 1.5= 53k | 55.9-6.7k= 49.2k with much better performance

Ans still you find it overpriced ?!? Jog on dude.

Now who should open the shop? :rolleyes:

and still after reading the link provided you support dell for price performance ratio, then you must open a service center of DELL :rofl:

I never said it as a "whole", but in this case, it IS definitely.

far

Keep Going!
Asus K55VM | Inspiron 15R | Result

I never said it as a "whole", but in this case, it IS definitely.

Exactly... ! Sometimes people get tricked by prices of systems with no OS preinstalled caliming it to be cheap...

Well.. if they are not bothered about the Original OS.. then yeah.. else big no IMO

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Nice comparison dude DELL is good..happy? :p :noob:

Let OP decided which laptop he wants? a heating laptop or an ice cool laptop :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom