Assembling vs Branded - strange problem faced ! Plz help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

PROBLEM 1 - in ASSEMBLING

After visiting the local dealers/ assemblers I 'm left in a shock n paranoia.
They simply dont have an idea of any new developments / products .
They dont even know the models I'm talking off . Despite it being avery basic config ( see below ) . The rates Quoted were exhorbitant - Rs 8600
for X2 3600+ .:x

Also I'm left WONDERING as to the TECHNICAL COMPRTENCY of the person ASSEMBLING the system .:-(

All this has forced me to reconsider my decision to go for an assemblrd PC.
So I checked out the branded ones .

PROBLEM 2 - in BRANDED

Now I have checked out the branded ones from HP , Compaq / HCL .
1 None of them is with AMD processor.:eek:
2 HP pavilion desktop A1514In - comes with 256MB DDR2 RAM only .
and is costing 43000 !!! ( the pluses are 160 GB HHD , DualLayer
Lightscribe ODD , 9 in 1 card reader ). Other things r normal
17 ' LCD ,Genuine MS Windows XP - home , 3 yr warranty.

Another HP model WITH 512 mb ram IS PEGGED at 49000 WITH
OTHER THINGS THE SAME !

3 HCL ezeebee 4941 @ Rs . 39000 - WITHOUT O/S !!!!
Although other things are reasonable -
core 2 duo 6300 + 512 MB Ram + 160 GB HDD + DVD RW
+ 17' LCD + 1 yr warranty
BONUS - 100 HRS INTERNET + some game CDs ( not specified )

Now IF THIS HCL 1941 HAD GENUINE O/S I WUD NOT MIND PAYING
39000 , BUT without O/S its a LOOT .

:confused: :!: WHAT TO DO NOW PLZ ADVICE ****** PLZZZZ .. !:confused: :!:

PS : I had decided upon the following config :

processor AMD athlon 64 X2 3600+
mobo MSI K9N GM2 / Asus M2NPV-VM
RAM Transcend/Kingston 512 MB @ 667 mhz
HDD Samsung spinpoint 160 GB
ODD Lite-On SOHW 1635S / Sony DRU 820A / BenQ 1640
Monitor Samsung 740n 17 ' LCD
K/B + Mouse Samsung - generic
Speakers Creative SBS 370
Case any generic case with front USB + Audio + Firewire
PSU Some good 350 watt PSU

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
1.Where do you live ?

2.I had assembled my own sys

This is my config

P IV 3.2 Ghz HT
1 GB DDR RAM
Intel 915GAV MB
Seagate 160 GB PATA + 80 GB SATA + 80 GB PATA + 40 GB PATA
XFX 6200 nVIDIA Video Card
Zebronics SMPs

Why don't you do the same ?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Most branded systems you get use old parts. 3 months ago when I inquired at an HP dealer, he suggested that I get a 3 GHz P4, not even a Pentium D!
Not to mention the mobo's they use SUCK.
You're much better off buying an asembled PC.

Last edited:
OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
@ techtronic & others - I live in INDORE ( MP ).

I'm a Chatered Accountancy student and dont know much about computers. Only in the past couple of months have started reading mags n browsing sites . BUT M HOOKED NOW !!!
But still cant assemble myself . Dont have an Engg. frnd either to do it for me !!

sorry forgot to mention this !!

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
dont go for a 350 watt psu .. atleast a 400-500 watt cooling master will work and go for assembled pc it would do and dont ever thing less then x2 or c2d now a days..

OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
thnx @ shantanu - will go for powersafe 400 watts - but it costs a lot .
I thot my rig doesnt need 400 watts n 350 wud suffice ?

Altho it is costing me a fortune ( for case + psu ) I'm thinking of
Gigabyte Triton case ( Rs 2900- 2*120mm fans , toolless design ,
all aluminium )
& Powersafe 400 watts ( price not sure of - prolly 2000 plus )

shantanu

Technomancer
hey buddy PLZ LISTEN IF YOU ARE LOW ON CASH THEN GO FOR 450 WATT COOLING MASTER its just 1800/- yaar really i sell it buddy... and i think every ones aware of cooling master but the last choice is yours .. SO THINK WANT JUST TO SAVE YOUR BUCKS AND GIVE YOU SOME CHOICES..

:) :)

OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
thnx@ shantanu - run out of them . Will go with CoolerMaster then .

About case - can u suggest an ATX cab with 2 120 mm fans , in decent price

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Powersafe 400W comes to around Rs. 1500 approx for golden one and Rs.1200 approx for the other one, I don't know the difference but dealers told me that golden one is a bit better.

And can't you just buy the parts from one place and then ask them to send over someone at your place to assemble it, they will take some Rs. 200-300 for it and maybe some extra for installing the OS.

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah buddy Go for ASUS casing @ 3000 + 4% tax and with two 120 mm fans
and HDD cooler .
name and model no. is TS-63

or Antec infinity is rs. 4400/- with 2 * 120 mm FANS but go for ASUS as its cheaper and very nice

hash!!

________
woww.... dunno why every1's so pent up on gettin a good psu... get a normal casing, get a normal psu... go wid standard stuff... not sub-standard stuff... the kinda rig u cooked up there, duznt really SCREAM power, u knw...
spend the extra bucks on a better processor or a better speaker system, or whteva... i dun think u need to go for a casing or cooling that costs 3k-4k!
if u need decent fans, then get a normal iball casing or sumthn, and ditch the normal fans u might get wid the case... get a couple of CoolerMaster fans, they cost about 70-100 bucks each... and they pretty much do the trick... :)
u really dun need to spend all that much on a psu and a casing... its totally weird...

and yea... @shantanu_webmaster... dude.. its CoolerMaster... u shld prolly read the print on the box when u "sell" it... it really helps...

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@DigitalImmigrant, the HP a1514in is a OUT Dated model, the latest ones a1521in.

that HP vendor was gonna take for a looong ride.

the official price of that model is 36,490 + taxes.

Check these PC's from HP Pavilion range.(with prices)
HP Pavilion Desktop PC's

but if you buy branded PC (which come with pre-loaded OS), when you upgrade your m/b, you cannot use/install that OS on new m/b.

===>>> good thing about branded PC is, Door Step Service Support, Online/Phone Support. & bundled s/w, such as Image Editors..., simple System Recovery.

OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
tech_your_future said:
Powersafe 400W comes to around Rs. 1500 approx for golden one and Rs.1200 approx for the other one, I don't know the difference but dealers told me that golden one is a bit better.

And can't you just buy the parts from one place and then ask them to send over someone at your place to assemble it, they will take some Rs. 200-300 for it and maybe some extra for installing the OS.
Two very good suggestions .:) the forum is really very supportive , thnx.
will go for a normal case , put 2*120mm fans n a 350/400 watt psu - prolly powersafe @ rs 1200 .

Actually my PC wil be in the Living Room . I will surf at night n my Dad sleeps in that room , so want it to be the quietest arrangement .;) I have been led to believe that 120mm fans are quieter ? what do u say . And I know my rig sure is very basic n doesnt need that much power .
if u need decent fans, then get a normal iball casing or sumthn, and ditch the normal fans u might get wid the case... get a couple of CoolerMaster fans, they cost about 70-100 bucks each... and they pretty much do the trick... :)
u really dun need to spend all that much on a psu and a casing... its totally weird...
and yea... @shantanu_webmaster... dude.. its CoolerMaster... u shld prolly read the print on the box when u "sell" it... it really helps...
-Hey it cud be a typo frm S W.
-Thnx for the suggstns. U got a point . Its a very basic rig n I reckon needs agood 350 watt PSU ( correct me if m wrong ).
-Actually my PC wil be in the Living Room . I will surf at night n my Dad sleeps in that room , so want it to be the quietest arrangement .:wink: I have been led to believe that 120mm fans are quieter ? what do u say ?
-I'm thinking of a genericVip/i-ball/blues case + 2*120 mm fans + 350/400 watt Powersafe PSU @Rs.1200 . Is their another decent n more affordable PSU ?
the official price of that model is 36,490 + taxes.
Check these PC's from HP Pavilion range.(with prices)
HP Pavilion Desktop PC's
but if you buy branded PC (which come with pre-loaded OS), when you upgrade your m/b, you cannot use/install that OS on new m/b.
===>>> good thing about branded PC is, Door Step Service Support, Online/Phone Support. & bundled s/w, such as Image Editors..., simple System Recovery.
thnx 4 d info ! will chk out the site .

Last edited:

Kniwor

Learner
I'd suggest u get an assembled one, as for me I assemble my own PC.

Where in Indore did u look for prices, In "Silver Mall" (I hope u know where it is), there is a lot of shops u can get, but the most famous shops quote high prices, and the less ones are not updated, so the best thing is, visit them, ask what they have, know what you want, then visit Silver Mall again and tell them that u want, I got a comp from this person in Silver Mall, he quoted good prices and was himself Quite Knowledgeable, cant seem to remember the name, but look around there, i think it's quite easy job.

OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
Kniwor said:
I'd suggest u get an assembled one, as for me I assemble my own PC.

Where in Indore did u look for prices, In "Silver Mall" (I hope u know where it is), there is a lot of shops u can get, but the most famous shops quote high prices, and the less ones are not updated, so the best thing is, visit them, ask what they have, know what you want, then visit Silver Mall again and tell them that u want, I got a comp from this person in Silver Mall, he quoted good prices and was himself Quite Knowledgeable, cant seem to remember the name, but look around there, i think it's quite easy job.

Hey I did check Silver Mall . The best shop is - SIGMA PERIPHERALS .
Is it the one ( owned by a Sardarji ) u r talking about . Neways thnx for
sharing the info n suggesstion , will dig more n post u abt it . Actually I m very usy hese days n so cant visit a lot of places the same day . Hence hav put it on hold for a few weeks .

Kniwor

Learner
no it's not the sardarji one, this was some other guy, anyways see wherever you get the right thing.

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
drvarunmehta said:
Most branded systems you get use old parts. 3 months ago when I inquired at an HP dealer, he suggested that I get a 3 GHz P4, not even a Pentium D!
Not to mention the mobo's they use SUCK.
You're much better off buying an asembled PC.

Lol. Why do you have so many HDD's? Isn't it cheaper and easier on the PSU to get 1 or 2 bigger HDD's?

I install Ubuntu,Kbuntu,Windows XP,Windows Server 2003
I also use VM Ware & Virtual PC
But I cannot install and run three OSes simultaneously in VM Ware
In order to check Hardware and Software compatibility I just keep my Old and New Hard Drives

So all these all my Hard Drive Upgrades starting from
40 GB PATA :) to 160 GB PATA :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom