ASP Linux 10 and Windows partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohourkill

Broken In
i installed ASP Linux 10, but it doesnt see my Windows partitions (which are NTFS). Although, other Linux distros can see them...do i need 2 install somethin to make Linux see them?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
what does this command show?
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/ntfs/

It should list a kernel module ntfs.ko .. If it doesnot show, then ntfs support if missing from your kernel. You need to get stock kernel and recompile with ntfs support.

You may also try to insmod ntfs . If it gives error that means ntfs is surely not there.

OP
Z

zerohourkill

Broken In
i tried ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/ntfs/ and it did list ntfs.ko i also found this five in one of the system folders, but when i typed insmod ntfs it gave error

wut should i do?

ujjwal

Padawan
Modern linux kernels use the kernel module autoloader, so you won't need to insmod the module if its present, just try to mount your windows partition -

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/win/

Replace /dev/hda1 with the partition corresponding to your windows drive, hda1 is the first primary partition on the first hard disk (usually C drive if you installed windows first), hda5 will be the first logical partition (usually D drive) and so on ...

BTW if the module was not loaded automatically, try modprobe ntfs instead of insmod, it will load the dependencies (if any) along with the module.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Also try ujjwal's suggestion. # modprobe -v ntfs will insert the module.

Actually this could have worked.
# insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.ko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom