Are 1TB HDD failures still happening ? (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB )

detoknight

Broken In
I am building a new rig & have decided for Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB .
Some say that these often fail under the warranty period.

But I see that Seagate has issued firmware updates for this.
Updated: Seagate 1TB Drives Biting The Dust
Firmware Updates for Seagate Products

I want to know if the freezings happen still after that?
Or should i go for 2x500Gb HDD's
Please advise

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I am using WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA HDD just because of these reports. Do not want to take any chances. I have never heard of WD HDDs giving such issues.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I am building a new rig & have decided for Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB .
Some say that these often fail under the warranty period.

But I see that Seagate has issued firmware updates for this.
Updated: Seagate 1TB Drives Biting The Dust
Firmware Updates for Seagate Products

I want to know if the freezings happen still after that?
Or should i go for 2x500Gb HDD's
Please advise

i have also heard of these issues....
in dat case using 2*500 GB HDD is wise choice....:mrgreen:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I have been using 7200.12 for few months. recently I dropped it from three feet high onto marble floor and like any other HDD, it died. Took it to seagate service centre, didn't say a word about fall. And guess what, the drive was replaced in four working days. Gave the drive last Saturday evening and I received mail yesterday morning that replacement drive is ready. Went and collected the drive this morning.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
^^^ hahaha lucky you...anyways they give 5 years of warranty..no..so for 5 years you can use it without fear (only except that you may lose your data).

static_x

In the zone
I'm using 3x Seagate 1 TB .12 HDDs without a single issue since the past 10-12 months...AFA warranty is concerned now seagate provides only 3 yr warranty in India.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I have a question. I have 450W SMPS/PSU (Supercomp, yeah I know it is crappy) and it provides only two power cables for SATA HDDs. What if I want to add another HDD? Suggestion to change the PSU are also welcome. Moreover MOBO has only two SATA ports that say SATA1, SATA2. Does that mean I can only attach only two HDDs at a time? If no, how to add more of them? Mine is MSI MOBO, will check more specs/model if you need.

BTW other irrelevant specs of the system, Intel Dual Core 2x1.8 GHz, 2GB RAM, 1+.5 TB HDD (1 TB WD, 500GB Seagate), forgot about the graphics card model but it is 512MB XFX card..

static_x

In the zone
I have a question. I have 450W SMPS/PSU (Supercomp, yeah I know it is crappy) and it provides only two power cables for SATA HDDs. What if I want to add another HDD? Suggestion to change the PSU are also welcome. Moreover MOBO has only two SATA ports that say SATA1, SATA2. Does that mean I can only attach only two HDDs at a time? If no, how to add more of them?

To attach more SATA hDDs you need the 4PIN to SATA Power cable like:
*www.chillblast.com/images//d_3439.jpg

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I am using WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA HDD just because of these reports. Do not want to take any chances. I have never heard of WD HDDs giving such issues.
Then here it from me.

I have both Seagate HDD and WD.
Both my HDDS died under warranty.

Seagate gave me time to recover data but WD just died.
I lost 930GB of precious data with it. Who cares if its under warranty or not. What is more precious to you data or HDD? U can always buy a new HDD but data?

I'm still in process of getting those from net :-x

static_x

In the zone
^^ I Agree...its always better to take backup...disk will never ask for its make or brand name before failure...buy any you like but keep on monitoring your disks continuously...

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^ I Agree...its always better to take backup...disk will never ask for its make or brand name before failure...buy any you like but keep on monitoring your disks continuously...
ya there are auto monitoring systems ...such as HDDinfo...HDDinspector etc
but they r not 100% reliable...

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I keep a copy of my very important data (around 35 GB) on both my HDDs and synchronise them every 7-10 days. However, this is not a good option if one has important data of more than 100-200 GB. I can afford it because 35GB really doesn't matter much when I have around 700 GB of space. (Actual capacity of 500GB + 250GB HDD)
All these problems will be resolved when Blu-ray becomes cheap. we will be able to take backups of permanent data very easily.

May the prices fall like water from Niagra :-D

Gauravs90

geek........
Then here it from me.

I have both Seagate HDD and WD.
Both my HDDS died under warranty.

Seagate gave me time to recover data but WD just died.
I lost 930GB of precious data with it. Who cares if its under warranty or not. What is more precious to you data or HDD? U can always buy a new HDD but data?

I'm still in process of getting those from net :-x

If data is so important to you then why you are not going for RAID setup.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@Cool Buddy ...hehehe Amen.

But for now, taking cue from rhitwick, I will keep all my "more important" data in Seagate (500+160GB HDDs) and all worthless items (movies etc.) in 1TB WD HDD. :)
static_x, thanks for that, I will have to goto my vendor for that kind of connector, plus SATA data cable too...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
If data is so important to you then why you are not going for RAID setup.

I'm not comfortable about internal drives. If my OS crashes the whole data is blocked until I fix my machine. Hence I prefer external backup.

In fact, when WD replaced my drive they sent me 1TB mirrored drive (2 500GB drives). Now I had the option to go RAID1, but then I'm limited to 500GB only. I had so much data that I had to opt for RAID0 and kept my finger crossed.

Till now its working properly. Again its filled till 970GB :-D
I've to buy another one, to take backup of backup.

@Cool Buddy ...hehehe Amen.

But for now, taking cue from rhitwick, I will keep all my "more important" data in Seagate (500+160GB HDDs) and all worthless items (movies etc.) in 1TB WD HDD. :)
static_x, thanks for that, I will have to goto my vendor for that kind of connector, plus SATA data cable too...
In my case its the opposite, my most important data are my movies :)

Gauravs90

geek........
I'm not comfortable about internal drives. If my OS crashes the whole data is blocked until I fix my machine. Hence I prefer external backup.

In fact, when WD replaced my drive they sent me 1TB mirrored drive (2 500GB drives). Now I had the option to go RAID1, but then I'm limited to 500GB only. I had so much data that I had to opt for RAID0 and kept my finger crossed.

Till now its working properly. Again its filled till 970GB :-D
I've to buy another one, to take backup of backup.

In my case its the opposite, my most important data are my movies :)
You are taking risk in RAID0. If one drive fails all data will lost.