Apple releases Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and refreshes Macbook Air, Mac mini

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not an Apple fan by any means, but as a Mac user I thought of sharing this.

Lion is being offered for $29. I'll most probably buy it next month.

Both Mac mini and Macbook Air have been refreshed. They sport Sandy Bridge processors now. Earlier Macbook Air had nVidia GT 320M, now it only has Intel HD 3000 which is slower. GT 320M in the Mac mini has been replaced by AMD HD 6630M. So, basically you won't find any nVidia dGPU in Apple products now.

The white Macbook has been silently discontinued.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Some features are nice... like ASLR & sandboxing in Safari, TRIM support in SSDs & 128-bit encryption in Filevault (although world is moving towards 512-bit).. I'd say, it's better late then never..

Mac Mini is costly right now, 45k.. that's too much..

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I just dont understand why Apple products are costing so much? Their laptop edges are sharp as a knife. Maybe by next gen MAC books come out we can cut vegetables with it.

ico said:
GT 320M in the Mac mini has been replaced by AMD HD 6630M. So, basically you won't find any nVidia dGPU in Apple products now.
This is actually kind of good

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mac Mini is costly right now, 45k.. that's too much..
well, I consider it nothing more than a portable desktop. Compared to laptops for 45k, it is fine if you ask me. But you know Apple na, premium is always there. :oops: The only thing worth getting is Macbook Pro. It is actually class apart from the rest of the laptops available in the market.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
well, I consider it nothing more than a portable desktop. Compared to laptops for 45k, it is fine if you ask me. But you know Apple na, premium is always there. :oops: The only thing worth getting is Macbook Pro. It is actually class apart from the rest of the laptops available in the market.

Yeah.. the thing is that, it gets costly due to our import duties.. it costs $599 in the US which is around INR INR 26600 but it costs almost double here.. 13-inch Macbook Air is good at 74k though.. But still, Macbook Pro baseline beats it hands down..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Update :- Mac Mini has an awesome price now. 34k with Intel HD 3000 & 45k with AMD 6630M.. Now, this is simply amazing..

The Apple Store (India) - Mac Mini

Krow

Crowman
I was looking for a lightweight laptop. Macbook Pro is a tad bit too heavy. Macbook Air is a tad too expensive and low on power.

Anyone knows how much the new Macbook Air is for in India?

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ wait for AMD A8-3500M laptops. Superior battery life compared to Intel Sandy Bridge laptops and the built-in IGP can actually be used for gaming. Although the processor is Core 2 Duo class. They should come for cheap.

Krow

Crowman
^How long is the wait? As of now, Sony Vaio S looks best for me. I was waiting for the Air refresh, but it is hardly impressive. :(

Vaio S: 13.3", 1.72 kg, Sandy Bridge, 320 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, HD6470M. Beats the Macbook Pro 13-inch (2.04 kg, HD3000, SB, 320 GB, 4 GB) on most counts, equal proccy and HDD.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ A8-3500M notebooks are already selling in the US. No idea when they'll be available here.

Krow

Crowman
No USB 3 in any Apple product. Another reason to not buy the Air. I think I will go for the Vaio S.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ they have Thunderbolt which has loads of bandwidth. USB 3.0 will be possible in future through it.

Krow

Crowman
Yeah I know that. But no Thunderbolt products in the market. I have a USB 3.0 HDD lying around.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ You should wait for llano based notebooks. The battery life is almost an hour more than intel. Their cpu's are previous gen but powerful enough for all tasks. The on-die gpu is the difference maker and is powerful than a 6470.

Better wait for that and you'll get a terrific deal.

sygeek

Technomancer
Hmm..cool. But I don't see any reason to upgrade my hackintosh to Lion. It's a serious pain in the ass starting all over again from scratch. Anyway, ico, you might as well want to write a review or something later when you buy it.

Top Bottom