Apple is most innovative company — Fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Tuesday, 06 March 2007
Apple is most innovative company — Fortune
Apple is the most innovative company and America's leading retailer, report claims
Jonny Evans

Apple has been named as the number-one most-admired company for innovation by Fortune magazine.

The annual Fortune report also puts Apple at number seven among the top twenty companies in the world, and in second place in the computers category (behind IBM).

Read more...

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
@Shailesh no offense

but onething sure is that

Apple has best interface in computer world

they never do publicity or their products

they made products for Single use

also Fortune is not a time pass mag who give apple 7th Rank

47shailesh

Security Exp
hmm... agreed....

But being a Linux/M$ user, MAC has no use in my life till now...

And to me having GOOGLE is like playing in GOD MODE :D

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
@shailesh buddy i m not comparing Apple with Linux or google

i m talking about Apple's Innovations

for comparisons better go for some Hardcore Mac Lovers

i m not saying google is bad

GOOGLE is a part of my life Like this forum

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Apple is the most innovative company

Martians attacking earth

Jupitar is a staelite

Nokia makes bread

ya right

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, the guys at Fortune Magazine are dumb jerks. I keep advising people to ask you before going out and publishing their opinions, but I guess no one cares! Don't give up, however. Keep saying these things and we can hope that someone will take notice one fine day.

47shailesh, Google is of course a great company and they've had their share of innovations too but it has mostly been just in one field, web search.

Apple, on the other hand, has had innovations in three major industries - computers (in a huge way), the music industry and more recently, the mobile phone industry.

And now with Google and Apple collaborating on various forthcoming projects, I am totally thrilled with the possibilities. Have a look at that page, Apple features on a lot of lists. :)

hailgautam

Youngling
Apple sure got the best eye candy when it comes to gadgets - that no one else can claim......their products in a sense were revolutionary in concept and design.

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
The annual Fortune report also puts Apple at number seven among the top twenty companies in the world, and in second place in the computers category (behind IBM).
A correction...it should be America...not world.
Secondly, it is not a Fortune "report" or Fortune "guys" that has put Apple on number 1 in innovation...rather a survey conducted by Fortune has. The difference might be small but is a vital one.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I guess it is.

Yes, it was a survey of "3,322 executives, directors, and securities analysts". This is what they had to say about Apple:
Apple

Top 20 Rank: 7
Rank among: Computers: 2
You could say that Apple has landed - not only on our street corners and in our malls but also, for the first time, on the top ten of our Most Admired Companies list. Apple's peers have watched it upend industries from computers to music. And now it's become the best retailer in America.
In 2004, Apple reached $1 billion in annual sales faster than any retailer in history; last year, sales reached $1 billion a quarter. And now comes the next, if not must-have, then must-see, product.

"Our stores were conceived and built for this moment in time - to roll out iPhone," CEO Steve Jobs told Fortune. If sales are anywhere near expectations - Apple hopes to move ten million iPhones in 2008 - the typical Apple Store could be selling, in absolute terms, as much as a Best Buy, and with just a fraction of the selling space.

Innovation: 1
People management: 1
Use of corporate assets: 2
Social responsibility: 6
Quality of management: 2
Financial soundness: 2
Long-term investment: 2
Quality of products/services: 1

unni

In the zone
Apple may or may not be great inventors, but they certainly are great innovators. I don't know if you guys have read this.
Jobs' iPhone demo was so powerful that he actually made people believe that Apple invented a whole new user interface. In fact, Apple did something more important than that. The company took some of the best -- hitherto obscure -- UI research and put it into a product that you will be able to buy. It did the same thing with three other products, the original Apple computer, the Mac and the iPod.
This is how Apple changes the world. It takes awesome research out of other people's labs, polishes and perfects it, and then ship it as warm-and-fuzzy consumer products everyone can buy.
Succeed or fail, the iPhone will be remembered as the first major step toward the third-generation PC user interface.

The first-generation UI was the command line. Apple didn't invent it, but used the concept for early Apple computers.

The second-generation UI is the icon-based, folder-driven, resizable overlapping windows interface that we use today. Again, Apple didn't invent it -- Xerox did. But Apple was the first major company to build it into a consumer product, the original Macintosh computer, which came out in 1984.
The iPhone's relevance lies not in its convergence of phone and iPod or even the mobilization of OS X, but that it's the first-ever mass-market computer with a third-generation UI.
But will the desktop version of this third-generation UI come from Apple, or Microsoft?

Apple's next update to OS X is expected by late spring.
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom