Any tips for a new Labrador Retriever owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Arey that's why I am saying don't let it eat mud. Supervise when it's playing on grass or mud.

It's horibble if it stays only on concrete floors!

Anyway I am not a vet but IMHO not giving it water(it's not that young) & not allowing it to play on mud & grass is screwed logic. Better ask another vet or ask on that forum. You'll get wonderful advice from Sarah & members there. I am telling you this again & again coz it'll benefit you. However it's upto you :)

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
yeah, i'm not very sure about the not giving water part too...but i think that since it drinks milk, it doesn't need water..there's no harm in it drinking water though

narangz

Web developer
Yes. It's not just a couple of days old. Also the weather is pretty much hot these days. Maybe it tries to cool itself by eating grass :D

Aayush, have a look at it's nose. It should not be dry.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I’m a horrible owner. It turns out that I was feeding it less than it required, keeping it thirsty without any reason, giving it the medicines wrong and making it sleep improperly. Apparently, I’m lucky it has survived a week under my care. :(

I’m trying to follow the vet’s advice more closely now.

@narangz,
I appreciate you pointing out that forum to me. Thank you! :)

I’ll sign up if I ever need help with something and can’t find it here. I don’t really have time to visit another forum right now.

narangz

Web developer
I’m a horrible owner. It turns out that I was feeding it less than it required, keeping it thirsty without any reason, giving it the medicines wrong and making it sleep improperly. Apparently, I’m lucky it has survived a week under my care. :(

I’m trying to follow the vet’s advice more closely now.

What went wrong? Did you forget something?

@narangz,
I appreciate you pointing out that forum to me. Thank you! :)

I’ll sign up if I ever need help with something and can’t find it here. I don’t really have time to visit another forum right now.

You are welcome :) The forum members helped me a lot when I had a dog :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What went wrong? Did you forget something?
Yeah, well, I was supposed to gradually increase the diet but I didn’t. He isn’t supposed to be allowed to sleep on a gunny bag. And the vet apparently never asked me not to give it water.

I had it vaccinated today. One down, three more to go and then 21 days after that, I’ll be allowed to take it out of the house for walks and stuff.

narangz

Web developer
Oh. Okay.
Anyway take due care of the pup. Be very careful from now onwards. :)

This is the age when they develop habits & learn from you.
For the Pup, the whole family is the pack & you(I guess) are the leader. It'll learn more from the leader. :)

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
Yeah, well, I was supposed to gradually increase the diet but I didn’t. He isn’t supposed to be allowed to sleep on a gunny bag. And the vet apparently never asked me not to give it water.

I had it vaccinated today. One down, three more to go and then 21 days after that, I’ll be allowed to take it out of the house for walks and stuff.

Buddy relax man ....Its because u are too caring that u made some mistakes in the past...

Remember Happy suckled ur fingers...so he has taken u as his Boss/master...so he will listen to u only

If u are busy man ask ur sisters to take care of him ...because i guess they are now free ...guess its their holidays

Okay planners to go:
For the Box/Its Home
1) Find a old TV cardboard box.....or Monitor box....[ u can get one from Paperwalla too ] Cut it into half.....i mean horizontally so one base of the box rests with the ground.
2) Fill it with old Matress/pillows ,top it with ur ol clothes like jeans ...make it sturdy cloth materials
3) Allow passage way for Happy to get in and out....like this III_III

Put this in your room for now for 25 days ....after he goes outside for walk then put the setup in the garage...

As i said earlier 2 bowls for his food & water

when his teeth grows get some rubber toys for him...ask ur mum for advice ....they go for Duck toys....get sturdier rubber toys & not the el cheapo ones

Also check his behaviour with others...ur mom & Dad ,Sisters....check if he is afraid of anyone....this is because Labby pups are sensitive & may never get accusstomed to that person
More when appropriate time comes

xbonez

NP : Crysis
hey, don't worry arya....no one's a perfect owner.

u know, the best advice i can give u is, once ur dog's a little older..say about 4-6 months, stop asking anyone anything, don't read any doggy parenting books...just take things according to your and your dog's instinct...they work the best. thats exactly what i've done and i have the happiest, healthiest and most play ful dog ever...and don't even get me strted on how affectionate she is

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
But it’s not even two months old yet and is being fed only cerelac mixed with water and a few medicines. Why would it have trouble digesting?

I think it doesn’t know that dogs aren’t supposed to eat grass…
feed like you feed yourself, don't be too protective and caring, it can harm puppy unknowingly. And did I mention take the matter into your hands, no friggin vets and others, jus go by common sense. Vets are here to make profit, they even give your dog vaccine every year even if the single one of them is effective for 3 years, just to make extra bucks.

Imagine you are overfed or given a hell lot of vaccines just to make sure that u survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom