Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

quicky008

Technomancer
I've been thinking of buying an antivirus sw for my pc as avast free av that I'm currently using couldn't provide adequate protection to my system and allowed it to become infected with malware on a few occasions.Which paid antivirus sw provides the best protection from all kinds of malware related threats?Would buying kaspersky av 2015 be a good idea?Does it slow down the system a lot?Please advice what i should do.

Last edited:

Genius-jatt

Broken In
use avira free or check that 360 Total Security is using bitdefender & avira engines in settings.
Thanks and today I check for updates in its Download Manager ,I was surpeise to see that it consume (350MB ) of download & still downloading, What 360 is downloading ? Its irritating ..

quicky008

Technomancer
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION]:i dont really like norton security products as they are resource hungry and often fail to detect many types of spyware and viruses-i've had a really bad experience with norton in the past and so nowadays i avoid it like the plague.How is eset's performance as compared to Kaspersky?

Last edited:

Genius-jatt

Broken In
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

use avira free or check that 360 Total Security is using bitdefender & avira engines in settings.
Thanks and today I check for updates in its Download Manager ,I was surprise to see that it consume (420MB ) of download & still downloading, What 360 is downloading ? Its irritating .. I got only bit-defender Engine no Avira ?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks and today I check for updates in its Download Manager ,I was surprise to see that it consume (420MB ) of download & still downloading, What 360 is downloading ? Its irritating .. I got only bit-defender Engine no Avira ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
bitdefender engine downloads large amount of data during 1st few updates.using bitdefender or avira,either is fine.

[MENTION=33037]quicky008[/MENTION],what you are talking about norton products was true many years ago.for around 3-4 years now norton is one of the best performing AVs with light resource usage.in fact norton is so aggressive right now that many people don't like as it deletes even a little suspicious file which may turn out to be safe later.

quicky008

Technomancer
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]: Does norton give too many false positives?If i had to choose between norton av,kaspersky and eset nod 32,which one should i go for?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you don't download cracks etc then norton is very good but it is also costlier compared to kaspersky which is even a bit better but on some systems it is very resource heavy so you have to try it out first on your system to see how it behaves.eset is also a good choice but again it is costlier.in any case i suggest you to use trial version first before deciding on any software.however note that if your hdd already has cracks etc & you install norton it will delete them without even asking.

Kaltrops

In the zone
I purchased keys for Norton, Bitdefender and Malwarebytes from G2A. So it isn't that costly.

Windows 8 and above has adequate built-in AV. So just download Malwarebytes and Spybot and that's good enough.

Last edited:

ankitj1611

Journeyman
YEAH i also use Windows defender inbuilt into windows 8/8.1 and microsoft security essentials in windows 7.
I never had any problems using them.They have a very very good detection.I am using them from past 2 years.

And also they are very lite on resources

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i think it is like - I downloaded virus update / engine update files. the AV server keeps a track of it. another user needs the same, then if i am online, it will download files from my computer also. this way there will be multiple sources of the same files and the download will be faster.

btw, isn't is possible that they can then use some other app to use my internet connection - something similar to what was done by HOLA?

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
I have installed Norton internet security that came with my motherboard for free on day 0 of the computer, ever since then i am so satisfied with it, that i have renewed it twice (each for 1 year), it was able to detect all the online attacking URLs which mostly come in file sharing site ads, malware addons, toolbars etc, however it also has file reputation system which you can use or not, its up to your choice, whenever you download a file it checks for its reputation online and if it has bad reputation (cracks pirated content) it deletes it.....

Kaltrops

In the zone
I have installed Norton internet security that came with my motherboard for free on day 0 of the computer, ever since then i am so satisfied with it, that i have renewed it twice (each for 1 year), it was able to detect all the online attacking URLs which mostly come in file sharing site ads, malware addons, toolbars etc, however it also has file reputation system which you can use or not, its up to your choice, whenever you download a file it checks for its reputation online and if it has bad reputation (cracks pirated content) it deletes it.....
Windows Defender also does that, and it's free and built in. It's very sensitive to cracks.

The bottom line is, stay away from dodgy sites and you'll be fine. You don't really need to spend a cent.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Windows Defender also does that, and it's free and built in. It's very sensitive to cracks.

The bottom line is, stay away from dodgy sites and you'll be fine. You don't really need to spend a cent.

well i dnt trust windows defender looking at all the loopholes that were present in internet explorers, I think that's the same case with windows defender, and i feel more secure using a product from a core cyber security firm rather than some other company which only made theAV security software as their holiday project......

Top Bottom