Android ported to C#

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Oracle and Google are currently in a $1 billion wrestling match over Google’s use of Java in Android.

But Java is not the only way to build native apps on Android. In fact, it’s not even the best way: we have been offering C# to Android developers as a high-performance, low-battery consuming alternative to Java. Our platform, Mono, is an open source implementation of the .NET framework that allows developers to write their code using C# while running on top of the Java-powered operating system, and then share that same code with iOS and Windows Phone.
Source

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Quite interesting and tells us about the capability of the Mono stack, but this is nothing more than academic.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If Oracle wins the case against Google, I think this is what can keep Android alive.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
While Mono is protected by ECMA, if I am Google I would think twice before using anything based on Microsoft's standards.
And I don't think Oracle will win anyway.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
While Mono is protected by ECMA, if I am Google I would think twice before using anything based on Microsoft's standards.
And I don't think Oracle will win anyway.

Yup, they are down to one random number generating method. It doesn't look strong enough to be worth a billion bucks.

Indeed google would not want to use it, but what about third party ROMs? Would be worthwhile if the performance boost they claim is true.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Third party ROMs? I doubt it.
IIRC Miguel de Icaza was trying to promote Mono as one runtime to target all all major phones OS with MonoTouch, MonoDroid and .NET in WP7, this will be a good publicity for them to promote their stack.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If Ubuntu can come out for Android devices, I don't see why this one should not come out.

Besides, Java, for all its advantages, is stereotypically slow and Dalvik is no better. I think this one can make a difference, once it comes out.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Ubuntu is a different beast man. Complementing Android is one thing and replacing Dalvik is different.
And it is yet to be seen whether it will actually be adopted by handset manufacturers.

abhijangda

Padawan
that's amazing. One thing Microsoft has done right is C# and thanks to Mono Team for such a great. Moreover, Google may go for C#. ECMA334 and ECMA335 implementation falls under Microsoft Community Promise, hence Microsoft will not assert their patents against anyone implementing, distributing, or using alternative implementations of .NET. So, it should be safe to use Mono.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If there is a possibility of incorporating a secondary VM alongwith the existing DalvikVM, there could be app compatibility between Android and Windows Phone. Potential lawsuit material though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom