Android has entered the building!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
After heated speculation and anticapation, surpassed possibly by only that of the iPhone, the GPhone is finally here! Well, it isn't a GPhone as such, because only the software is Google's. But who cares! Here it is, the T-Mobile G1 in all its touch screen glory. Fellow Geek, I command thee, Drool!

*asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/crave/hh/63006511/g1_sc.jpg

Image Courtesy cNet Asia

And of course, some specs of and features :

• One-click Google search and easy access to all Google Applications - Quick and easy access to the Internet in one click. One touch access to Google applications:
  • Maps (including satellite, traffic and street views)
  • Gmail
  • YouTube
  • Calendar
  • Google Talk
  • Size–4.6 x 2.16 x 0.63 in
  • Weight–5.6 ounces
  • Display–65K color screen, HVGA (480×320)
  • Talk Time–5 hours
  • Standby Time–130 hours
  • Expandable up to 8 gig memory…
  • No stereo bluetooth.
  • Gmail account required to sign in and use, no corporate access email available.
  • There is a required data plan associated with this device; it will not work without the data plan active, sorry no prepay.
  • GPS is confirmed. No video capture. 3.1 mp camera.

Source

IMHO, this is the future of mobile computing. The iPhone does a lot of stuff really well, and looks great while doing it, but at the end of the day, when the "ooh!" factor wears off, people will be looking at productivity and expandability. Considering features like a full slide out QWERTY Keyboard and the army of developers that have sworn their souls to Google, the G1 has what it takes to last, and win the metaphorical race.

By the by, the G1 has not yet been launched as of the time of thread creation, so there may be some really minor changes.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Still sux when it comes to features. No Video capture on a device with such a big screen....what were they thinking

Pat

Beyond Smart
No video recording it seems.
No A2DP.

Initial impression: Browsing experience is not as good as on the iPhone.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
No video recording it seems.
No A2DP.

Initial impression: Browsing experience is not as good as on the iPhone.
How can you compare a 8k phone with 31k iPhone?
They have no match, both are entirely different

Pat

Beyond Smart
To all those oversmart guys:
*www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/t-mobile-g1-video-hands-on/

And to other "intelligent" people":
This one is $179 with a 2 year contract..Just like the iPhone is for $199!!

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
Official website here:
*www.t-mobileg1.com/default.aspx

Some interesting points I observed from various hands-on videos, video of the conference and some articles:

3.17 inch screen
3.1 MegaPixel Camera
No A2DP. Though it will be possible in the future via software update.
No Video Recording. I am sure there will be apps to fill that void.
Audio Jack is the proprietary HTC one..Unfortunately not 3.5 mm :-(
Features 256 MB Flash Memory (MicroSD slot available: Phone ships with 1 GB MicroSD)
Can download songs from amazon and apps from Google Market Place.
No Desktop Sync App (wtf ? )
Need to sign-in to google to use the phone ? huh ? In that case, the phone is practically useless for most people in India who do not use data-plans at all.(even if they are using an iPhone :p )

I am really curious to see how the onscreen keyboard looks like (Not a single hands-on video shows that) This is extremely important as it determines if you would be able to surf the internet using one-hand. All videos I have seen use the hardware keyboard to type URLs/Mails/Messages/Contact details.

Last edited:

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Looks quite ugly, the design has no feel and cannot be compared to the iPhone. But I wonder about the features...
I rather go for Nokia E71 or Blackberry Bold

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Not having the A2DP and video support is quite awkard for such a phone. After seeing the inaugural demo last night and the features, I think android is still a half baked product (may be three-quarter baked). But the code base and the platform is strong, OSS and does have places for a lot of improvements.

Since people were compairing the phone directly with Apple iPhone, atleast some iPhone features were expected. G1 does have a accelerometer like the Apple one but the touch screen does not support multi-touch yet. Software upgradation will not help either since the screen simply does not have that capability. Also there are a lot of randomness and discontinuty in the whole UI of android. Sometimes the analog and digital clocks displayed in the home screen is not showing the same time together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom