An introduction to CrossOver Games for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Dude, there's a difference between crossover office and crossover games. Get that straight. What I meant from the previous statement incase you didn't catch it is that crossover games are developed specifically for games and enhanced for the same to avoid delays and lower frame rates unlike wine which is developed for a broader taste.

What sense are you trying to make by saying that frame rates are low by asking to try running COD to see it when the game itself is not supported yet?

Incase you need more info, refer this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83069

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
What Im trying to say is that "Any Game made for Windows is more likely to run on Wine and even if you got it running on Crossover *, Cedega or Wine you will face LAG or performance degrade in most games unless the company actually supports it in Linux or has a client for it in Linux."

My question is Where do they say
There is no problem with FPS's using crossover, there might be at max a slight difference of 2-5% in frame rates from a similar windows config.
Or who said this and what was the test performed on ?
The best in gaming on linux so far has only been managed by cedega, where you have less than 0.5-1% frame rate difference and works equally or better to a similar windows config.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,@filledvoid,you are correct.it is just assumptions that @cyrus is saying without any backing :D
cedega or crossover or wine cannot run as in a native win platform.that is simple to understand!

where each game is still needs tweaks to the settings or patches to play in wine..and same will be with cedega/winex or crossover etc

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
tried cedega and i installed battlefield 1942 and when i try to play it gnome crashes and i get the login screen.
cedega website says there are no problems with battlefield 1942.
that is an original copy btw.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
What Im trying to say is that "Any Game made for Windows is more likely to run on Wine and even if you got it running on Crossover *, Cedega or Wine you will face LAG or performance degrade in most games unless the company actually supports it in Linux or has a client for it in Linux."

My question is Where do they say

Or who said this and what was the test performed on ?

Dude, I know you have been trying to butt out to get COD4 working, but it doesn't mean every other game is like that.

I'll clarify, Crossover and Cedega is anyday better to run games than wine.

And as far as the performance stats are considered, those are the tests that I did myself over several games and that is the reason I'm trying to tell you this.

Stop assuming that if an unsupported game doesn't run properly, then every game has the same results.

@praka, I did not say that the games run better than on that on the native platform, all I said was that it's not as lagging as @filledvoid is making it sound, that's all. It's not a myth, try it out and you'll know.;)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Dude, I know you have been trying to butt out to get COD4 working, but it doesn't mean every other game is like that.
Actually I think I got COD4 installed and working including network play a month or more ago.

I'll clarify, Crossover and Cedega is anyday better to run games than wine.

And as far as the performance stats are considered, those are the tests that I did myself over several games and that is the reason I'm trying to tell you this.

Stop assuming that if an unsupported game doesn't run properly, then every game has the same results.

Thats cool if you did it and only experienced a 1% lag at most. Out of curiosity which game did you run this on?
Im not trying to make Crossover Office or Cedega look like crap Im just stating what I hear everyday in the Wine , Ubuntu , Linux channels I log onto. personally I appreciate the availability of the products .

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@abhinandh:how much is your cedega subscription :D
the game is an original copy IMO:D

any one help me to install Silent Hill 2 on linux ??? It would be really helpful, i dont want newer games to work but this old classic must work.

When using wine the movie cutscenes just crashed the game.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Out of curiosity hat version of Wine are you using? 9.58? Also check out this page
*appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4525&iTestingId=21546

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^many many thnx for the link:), i wasnt expecting it to be fixed so soon.
Will install in NU hrs

yep stalker is there on home page :D
I will try this one again and see if my 1 GB RAM can crunch it with french fries

Last edited:
OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
I hope this should clear some doubts that Crossover Games is a bit more optimized for games than wine.
*wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/04/crossover-games-vs-wine-0958.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom