AMD Rx 200 series

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
@omi ...have anyone really dealt with that card here? people bought titan like a Ferrari ( assuming ur referring to it even when its not a 1lac card), who also can afford corvette( 2 or more of them). have you seen them too ? fact that they can afford the luxury and we dont, does not necessarily make it a "bad" card. it is an immensely powerful (compute too) card with fatal price thats all.

Actually Toxic Performs better than Vapor-X

ooooo ...toXic is the new X ;)

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Its a well thought card, it performs what it says and more. Its not exactly a gaming card. No issues with it.
My only complaint is that we are seeing a massive shift in GPU prices to the higher side.
We need competition. Last time when amd spearheaded with the phenomens , Intel felt the heat and gave us sandy bridge, amazing performance increase. Then there's this phase where Intel is just doing incremental changes lazying off. No reason to upgrade from sandy bridge.

I just want to see Good competition and reasonable prices. There is no reason to loot customer.

Even amd has done it, that price on 7970 at launch was insane.

PS: 1 lac was just a /sarcasm

Last edited:

ACidBaseD

ACid DrinkeR
The only reason for me going with the green team was PhysX, yes i know it's pretty useless when it comes to gaming but hey if i am spending around 20k for a graphic card, i'd like it to be able to run every setting properly [even though not maxed out]

ALSO 95degree was the temperature noted in US where it's comparitvely cooler and mostly air conditioned, i can't imagine how hot it will be here in India.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
phyx is nothing bad, if it would have been constituted by Aegia till date or any other sub-vendor, then no one would complain, but just because nvidia has standardized it , its forcibly called useless. it would have been just another name just as bullet and implemented overall, may be by NovodeX itself, may be AMD had acquired it before Aegia. Doesn't matter, not having it while there is an option and still complaining is like "i will never buy a jacket because its not much cold around here" its true that phyx alone cant decide a good buy but nevertheless if its there with a powerful card its nothing sinful. Your choice is not bad afterall.

95 deg is a thing to worry, water-blocking is an option , but its not that simple around everywhere neither waterblocks are free. but perf/dollar is best in R9-290 without any doubt. but AMD just punched themselves so damn hard in the "X" balls that they will get some heat of 290X buyers two weeks ago for this complete sudden rip-off. At this point the people who got most ripped off are those that paid $549 for a R9 290X two weeks ago. At least Titan and the 780 could sustain their exorbitant prices for months after their respective releases.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't derail this thread by starting off with PhysX nonsense. Because the posts deserve a reply, that's the only reason I'll be replying.

The only reason for me going with the green team was PhysX, yes i know it's pretty useless when it comes to gaming but hey if i am spending around 20k for a graphic card, i'd like it to be able to run every setting properly [even though not maxed out]
The question comes to my mind is, if there is a faster card for the same price, would you like to run 99.99% games faster or want to run countable games with some special effects enabled?

Same case with when Mantle gains a little bit traction.

If a card "X" no matter what brand is giving you best performance at a given price point, get that. No matter what the brand. This should be the logic.

phyx is nothing bad, if it would have been constituted by Aegia till date or any other sub-vendor, then no one would complain, but just because nvidia has standardized it , its forcibly called useless.
There was a reason why it was called useless.

nVidia was claiming a massive increase in performance by doing certain calculations on the GPU vs CPU. Funny thing was, the performance increase gain was claimed by intentionally using single threaded X87 code on CPUs. X87 instructions are ancient. They were depreciated in favour of much faster SSE.

Read this and learn: PhysX87: Software Deficiency If possible, read the whole article.

Verdict: Useless. (was)

Now it isn't as useless. It is multithreaded and uses SSE instructions on the CPU. But then this again beats the whole point why the whole "PHYSX IS FASTER ON GPU THAN CPU" marketing hyperbole was created in the first place.

I don't like Mantle either. Another attempt to cause fragmentation. We'll see how it goes.

95 deg is a thing to worry, water-blocking is an option , but its not that simple around everywhere neither waterblocks are free. but perf/dollar is best in R9-290 without any doubt. but AMD just punched themselves so damn hard in the "X" balls that they will get some heat of 290X buyers two weeks ago for this complete sudden rip-off. At this point the people who got most ripped off are those that paid $549 for a R9 290X two weeks ago. At least Titan and the 780 could sustain their exorbitant prices for months after their respective releases.
95 C a worry on the damned reference card. Even here in India the temperature won't go much higher than that. The reference card is designed to keep it that way. I don't see Hardocp complaining much about it. Same with Tomshardware. Non-reference cards will fix it, and you know it still you keep on repeating the same thing.

I find it quite amusing, Titan has been a Ferrari and R9 290X @ $549 has been a ripoff. Funny. Plenty got the Titan, plenty will get the R9 290X despite R9 290 being @ $399.

When HD 4850 had 80-85% of the performance of HD 4870 @ 66% of the price, HD 4870 was never called a ripoff. Both launched around the same time iirc. oh yea, they also ran hot. 95 C and all that.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
first things first, it has never been my sole intention to make a thread irrelevant, the phyx approach from nvidia and its futility was first asked by me in this forum long ago, later found the simple thing that when something comes for free, it aint that bad to have it when many people think that having phyx in ur card makes it useless so getting rid of it means getting rid of the card in the first place...which is stupid, that was the whole point, kindly spare me the article and tech-sweep, i already read that article long ago.

and yes that rip-off is too sad, NV did throat-cut with titan and its price but was there any GPU as fast as it was by 2 weeks after its sales released? 780 came later and even it was overpriced and then ? anything from nvidia's own production nearly as powerful within 100$ range down from it within soon enough? i'm not asking here that what nvidia did was marvelous, rather pointing the fact that marketing a equally powerful card with 100$ less within such a short time will definitely impact AMD's margins. if its perf/dollar, 290 wins every round. its both a ferrari and a nano.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
290 is as fast because of 290x throttling at quiet mode. if u know amd released 47% fan driver to make r9 290 run at constant 947mhz. when non reference cards will come out 290x will be worth again. again worth or not depends on a person's pocket too.

and top performance comes at a premium. gtx780 almost matched titan at 350$ less. still titan sold. premium product.

ALSO 95degree was the temperature noted in US where it's comparitvely cooler and mostly air conditioned, i can't imagine how hot it will be here in India.

card is designed to run at 95c no matter if ambient temperature got more. it will throttle more i think here.
anywayys better wait for non reference coolers. techspot did this with r9 290 -
Update: Based on your feedback, I took the IceQ X2 cooler off the HIS Radeon R9 280X and stuck it on our R9 290 sample. Cooling was dramatically improved. The FurMark stress test maxed out at 76 degrees while the card never exceeded 63 degrees in Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4. So it seems as expected the board partners will be able to solve the heat issues of the reference card.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
first things first, it has never been my sole intention to make a thread irrelevant, the phyx approach from nvidia and its futility was first asked by me in this forum long ago, later found the simple thing that when something comes for free, it aint that bad to have it when many people think that having phyx in ur card makes it useless so getting rid of it means getting rid of the card in the first place...which is stupid, that was the whole point, kindly spare me the article and tech-sweep, i already read that article long ago.
If you had actually, you'd have actually understood the point.

Simple point is, compare graphic cards on their actual performance. Rather than fragmenting pseudofeatures and marketing hyperboles. I won't be recommending AMD GPUs only because they'll run a few Mantle games faster.

and yes that rip-off is too sad, NV did throat-cut with titan and its price but was there any GPU as fast as it was by 2 weeks after its sales released? 780 came later and even it was overpriced and then ? anything from nvidia's own production nearly as powerful within 100$ range down from it within soon enough? i'm not asking here that what nvidia did was marvelous, rather pointing the fact that marketing a equally powerful card with 100$ less within such a short time will definitely impact AMD's margins. if its perf/dollar, 290 wins every round. its both a ferrari and a nano.
Big deal worrying about AMD's margins. I'm a customer. I've a great performing product @ $400. I'll buy it.

Same thing happened when GTX 670 was released after GTX 680. Your margin logic is weird and can be applied to GTX 670 and 680 as well.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I despise market annotations based on sheer evaluation of a product being good at something extra-ordinarily and failing at others, i never said i was drum-beating phyx neither nvidia, in fact i promoted many some friends AMD cards to play games which HAD phyx. nuff argued, off topic.

i was not talking about GTX 670 or 680, may be they were awful cards, may be they exploded in PCs , who cares? the argument was to understand AMD's move for 290 releasing too soon, they could wait, see the drop and release 290 at a later time. And right, you're a customer, you do have a very powerful card next to you'r counter , you buy it, and its the $400 card, not the $549 one :)

ASHISH65

Technomancer
The Cause Of And Fix For Radeon R9 290X And 290 Inconsistency - The Difference Between My R9 290X And Yours

Techguy

In the zone
The 95C limit seems to be controlled by the drivers of AMD, so even if the cooling soluton is good, the fans will run slow and still maintain the 95C limit.. unless the manufacturer changes settings in the BIOS.

Hmm.. and the 95C thermal limit is going to end up killing the cards soon because the heat at the backside (reverse of the cooler), the resistors are crossing 100C because of lack of cooling on the back.. even the heat is spreading though the board and heating up the memory and VRMs.. plus the thermal expansion is not going to be good for the solder balls under the GPU

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 95C limit seems to be controlled by the drivers of AMD, so even if the cooling soluton is good, the fans will run slow and still maintain the 95C limit.. unless the manufacturer changes settings in the BIOS.
No!

As posted by Jaskanwar, techspot tried this out:

Update: Based on your feedback, I took the IceQ X2 cooler off the HIS Radeon R9 280X and stuck it on our R9 290 sample. Cooling was dramatically improved. The FurMark stress test maxed out at 76 degrees while the card never exceeded 63 degrees in Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4. So it seems as expected the board partners will be able to solve the heat issues of the reference card.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
With the new catalyst beta drivers the cause of the difference of performance between press and retail cards has been fixed :D

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-driver-fix,3666.html

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Is this a good deal?

ON SALE! - SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD DUAL-X R9 270X 2GB DDR5 OC - Rs.15,599 - WELCOME TO MDCOMPUTERS ::::::::::The Ultimate IT Solutions::::::::::

Top Bottom