AMD intros mid-range Radeon 4600 series GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
People don't usually get excited about mainstream and low end graphics cards, but they nonetheless represent the largest part of the market and thus one that simply can't be ignored. With this in mind AMD is releasing a new round of mainstream graphics cards that should fall in the sub-$80 range, setting a low price for performance and hoping to beat Nvidia's GeForce 9500 cards.

The new Radeon HD 4600 series is basically a watered-down version of the high-end 4800 series that launched a while back. The initial line-up comprises the 4650 and 4670, each packing in 320 unified shader cores and built using 55nm process technology. As you might expect, these cards also include support for DirectX 10.1 and Shader Model 4.1, ATI's CrossFireX multi-GPU technology, enhanced HD multimedia capabilities and good performance-per-watt.

The basic Radeon HD 4650 is estimated to cost as little as $69 and does so by using 512MB of GDDR2, whereas the Radeon HD 4670 is only slightly more expensive at $79 and switches to faster GDDR3 memory.

Source

A part of your post is wrong. 4600 is actually (as I predicted) a 55nm shrink with some features added and/or removed from RV670, or Radeon HD3800. And I think saving 10$, or 400 rupees, by getting a lower clocked version with a much slower memory makes no sense. I predict that HD4650 will be a flop while HD4670 would OWN the market.

79$ looks too good. If it comes at Rs. 3,500 to India, I would be very happy.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Bu hu hu hu hu...ba waha ahahahahahahahha:(:(:(:(:(

(Owner of Radeon HD 3650 who bought it in May for Rs 5k).

Oh well, for anything non-gaming related there isn't a reason to upgrade.

However the nVidia GeForce 8, 9 & 260 series looks juicy now because nVidia now owns Mental Ray & they will sure bring CUDA based GPU acceleration to rendering with Mental Ray and also nVidia has a better GPGPU API then AMD right now due to which more & more devs will go for CUDA.

Anyone wants to buy a 4 months old Radeon HD 3650?

OP
4T7

4T7

Journeyman

(Owner of Radeon HD 3650 who bought it in May for Rs 5k).

Oh well, for anything non-gaming related there isn't a reason to upgrade.

However the nVidia GeForce 8, 9 & 260 series looks juicy now because nVidia now owns Mental Ray & they will sure bring CUDA based GPU acceleration to rendering with Mental Ray and also nVidia has a better GPGPU API then AMD right now due to which more & more devs will go for CUDA.

Anyone wants to buy a 4 months old Radeon HD 3650?
The future is Larrabee by Intel and Fusion by AMD :cool:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The real competition for these two cards are 9500gt and 9600gt and they easily beat 9500 and 9600.

These are budget cards and hence compare them at lower resolutions till 1440x900.

Only those with no knowledge will buy these cards for a 24"+ displays.

When you take a budget conscious user into account. These do offer lot more than 9500gt and 9600gt and are priced lower.

Anyways, let's wait till the official price for India comes out.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
nVidia will be doomed for at least some time to come; its CUDA will get it to nowhere and till now or even in the imminent future, there isnt much that it adds up. Id better have a good Intel proccy and ATi card with me this time. :) Plus, this HD4670 shows promising stats at even high resolutions. Now, this brings so much light to the budget/mid-range gaming. :D

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Damn. I couldn't post this first. :|

These cards will wipe out nVidia mid-range cards from the market.:D

yesh1683

In the zone
New Stalker Clear Sky Benchmarks are out its new GPU killer with GPU demolishing DX10 Enhanced full Dynamic lighting maximum image quality settings.

at maximum quality and higher resolutions 4670 comes neck and neck with 8800GT though both produce very low FPS under 10 it does compete with 8800g:D

*www.guru3d.com/article/stalker-clear-sky-graphics-card--vga-performance-roundup/5

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
But Now AMD is wid HD 4830 launch, and it's supposed to have 480SP, aww I at least hoped for 600 but no probs.
Here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98205

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
These cards will further reduce the prices of the mid range Nvidia cards. The price drops in graphic cards these days is tremendous. When I bought my 6600GT about 2 years ago, I had to shell out Rs 6600 for it. Now, we get cards with thrice the performance at half the price. But the future really is Nehalem, Fusion and their successors.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
3 years ago, my dealer(i was 11 then) told my father that he's giving the best gaming PC, well just for the CPU, GPU, mobo, RAM and HDD, he took 40k..
And once i got to know abt grafx and all that(smtyme last year end), I came to know how they deceived us, I was given an ultimate 6200TC, blah, balderlash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom