All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'm thinking of switching to dual boot instead of virtual using machines on windows 7, so I shrunk a partition to create a 20 free space.

That's the maximum space I want to invest on GNU/linux.
Machine Specs: i5 2nd, 4GB ram, radeon 6490M.

Can anyone suggest me a suitable distro ? I will basically need gcc , mysql and dev stuffs and chromium. And Gnome 3.4 or higher is preferred. Speed and NTFS compatibility is a must. I have tried ubuntu 12.10(i386) in wubi but install process goes unresponsive @"kernel_thread_helper" which is quite a famous problem for ubuntu. Now I have DVDs of openSUSE12.2 and MINT 14(cinamon)(64). Mint also has a wubi derived installed which also crashed while installing.

If fedora is better for the purpose ,let me know with supporting arguments. I'll get which ever is better:-D

And one more thing, If I ever feel like removing the GNU/linux , how should I start to finish without effecting windows 7(for gaming,and everything )?

usr level : beginner -->intermediate

You can consider Linux Mint, Fedoa and Arch.

Linux Mint - Generally for beginners. But stick to ot of you like apt-get.

Fedora - Generally considered for Developmemt and stability.

Arch - Considered by geeks, and for cutting edge technology. But stay away from it if you are into developmemt.

thinkjamil

Journeyman
thanks

BTW, Which one of em has a better repository? one that is huge and maintained well...I'm using fedora but i"m open for a change.

thinkjamil

Journeyman
Its funny and may be stupid , but I want to replace fedora 18 with openSuse 12.2 without disturbing my windows installation. How should I proceed? I used LVM partition for fedora.

thinkjamil

Journeyman
My problem is solved. Just put the openSUSE 12.2 64 DVD onto drive and booted to install. Now running openSUSE and windows 7.

Theodre

In the zone
Well among Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE which is better considering performance

Opensuse was 12.1 was said to be the best by Digit :) If you are a beginner Go for ubuntu (not linux mint!! because it will spoil you) :)

1. Install ubuntu
2. Open the ubuntu software centre
3. Install the gnome-shell (search for it in the ubuntu software centre :) )

If you use the unity desktop environment, you will hate ubuntu and maybe linux :)

mitraark

Decrepit
Hello.

I want to install a linux distro, along with my Windows 7, on an NTFS partition ( i did this before, installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a 30 GB NTFS partition, but i'm unable to do it now with 12.10, or maybe i just forgot how i did it )

I was going to go for Fedora ( haven't used it yet )

I will use Linux to run C++ programs and maybe tinker arounnd a bit to learn ( you can assume I know almost nothing about Linux atm but i'll grasp quickly )

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I suggest you try Knoppix live CD distro first. It has a hell of a lot of apps and runs off the disc. Good to get acquainted with Linux before moving to a more hardcore distro.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Hello.

I want to install a linux distro, along with my Windows 7, on an NTFS partition ( i did this before, installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a 30 GB NTFS partition, but i'm unable to do it now with 12.10, or maybe i just forgot how i did it )

I was going to go for Fedora ( haven't used it yet )

I will use Linux to run C++ programs and maybe tinker arounnd a bit to learn ( you can assume I know almost nothing about Linux atm but i'll grasp quickly )
You can use Wubi to install Ubuntu/Lubuntu on your existing NTFS partition
Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

Ubuntu/Xubuntu 12.10 has a bug that prevents it from getting installed in some machines
My Laptop used to run Xubuntu 11 dual booted with Windows 7 ,
when i tried to install Xubuntu, the installation froze midway (same with Ubuntu 12.10)
However Lubuntu 12.10 installs as it should without any hitch. You should try Lubuntu (It is just Ubuntu + LXDE - Gnome 3)

for best possible experience, do not install it on an NTFS partition
Create a 6 GB + 1GB Free space from your HDD,
During installation format the 6gb one as EXT4 and 1GB as Swap space.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Re: All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

thanks

BTW, Which one of em has a better repository? one that is huge and maintained well...I'm using fedora but i"m open for a change.

Ubuntu is easy to use or you can try linux mint.

Well among Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE which is better considering performance

OpenSuse is better considering performance but ubuntu and mint are easier to use.

Theodre

In the zone
Please Reply :)

Backbox is a linux based on ubuntu nd is mainly focussed on providing pen-testing, incident response, computer forensics etx kind of thing and it is not for a regular i think.... You are better off with Linux mint if you are a beginner dude :)

Top Bottom