All laptop related queries here!!!

wecaz

Right off the assembly line
Nope, nothing like that. Windows 7 works fine even on 2GB RAM. And you can always extend your RAM. 4GB DDR3 laptop RAMs cost no more than 1.2k these days. So, i5 seems to be a better choice as it has 750GB HDD and remember you can't extend your HDD like RAM.

How will one know which RAM to purchase? There are many types of DDR3 RAM in the market. Different makers and speed. How to check the compatibility?

Secondly, will it not void the warranty of the laptop?

rider

as Kratos
How will one know which RAM to purchase? There are many types of DDR3 RAM in the market. Different makers and speed. How to check the compatibility?

Secondly, will it not void the warranty of the laptop?

Warranty will not void with RAM expansion. 2nd gen core series get 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM.

Monk

Journeyman
Wait for a month dell xps is refreshing new laptop, will definitely come with a 1080p option

1 month? I'm skeptical about it. Lets say Ivy launches next month (hopefully), still it will take some times for companies to adopt the new processor. Since they will try to sell out the sandy bridge machines they already have in stock.From the reviews it doesn't look like that they have a big advantage over Sandy Bridge, IB is only 20% better than current SB.
HD 4000 is alot faster than HD 3000, but can only give competition to low end Nvidia and AMD discrete GPUs.

And why do you people rule out Dell laptops? Any specific reasons?
Dell's according to me under-delivers for the price. I dislike their aggressive marketing technique. Plus they're big and heavy.

rider

as Kratos
Dell's according to me under-delivers for the price. I dislike their aggressive marketing technique. Plus they're big and heavy.

Yea, it would be available in some july in India (maybe)
Yes, you are right dell is overpriced.. hp is much much better in terms of product quality, performance and pricing, they don't a do lot of ads in TV and magazine like dell. They have good after sales service. They are selling ivy bridge processors from 1 month. My dv6 is much lighter, slimmer and more performer than any XPS 15 laptop. It's total myth now that hp laptops produces lots of heat. XPS 15 of my friends get pissed off like one HDD crashed but get replaced new one, one get monitor flickering etc

No, I can not wait for new Dell XPS it is not even launched anywhere in the world. It will take 2 or 3 months to come properly in India.

So, get Sony vaio, there is no option except this left to get 1080p display in your budget.

Last edited:

priyankashah

Broken In
@Soham

Thanks for your suggestion. Can I know how did you find the looks of ASUS P53e? Does it look like cheap plastic laptop or something which is impressive if not great

@Rider

In my opinion get Thinkpad Edge 420 with core-i3 (2.3Ghz) for 32k or extend your budget 3k more and get Thinkpad Edge 420 with core-i5 (2.5Ghz), its the coolest, with its heatsink design, the most durable build quality in this price range and has a good battery laptop, about 6 hours but you can get up to 24 hours of battery life with external battery slice. It is also lightest in its class just 4.6 lbs (2.08kg). A fare on-site warranty of 1 year.
Thinkpad is highly reliable brand, designed, developed and sold by IBM but now produced by Lenovo. Thinkpad has also been used in space, and is the only laptop certified for use on the International Space Station.
I don't know much about Asus P53E, how is its service, heating, battery and all that? Its new in the market, so no comments. Tech specs wise its rocking but much heavy (2.6kg) and bigger screen 15.6". If I were in your position I get Thinkpad, though its personal choice.

Thnx for your suggestion, I liked thinkpad but I am really looking for 15" lappy....is there any other laptop that you would suggest?

How about Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen Ci3/ 3GB/ 320GB ?
Would it be better than ASUS P53E? According to sustainability and performance?

rider

as Kratos
@Soham

Thanks for your suggestion. Can I know how did you find the looks of ASUS P53e? Does it look like cheap plastic laptop or something which is impressive if not great

@Rider

Thnx for your suggestion, I liked thinkpad but I am really looking for 15" lappy....is there any other laptop that you would suggest?

As per you requirement, you need a good business laptop with low heating and good battery life. 14" is much more user friendly as it light and compact to use, much suitable specially for girls like you who prefer general everyday use work on computer. But As you said you want 15.6" laptop I trust dell inspiron model that you give link to me, first class service by dell guys. Asus P53E is far better as it has better processor, RAM and HDD but no high performance graphics (but it doesn't affect coz you dont do gaming and all) I don't know about asus service and all, on pages its mind blowing and total value for money. IMO First go to Asus selling shop, know about Asus service and after sales, take demo of the laptop, understand and buy.

Last edited:

soham.b

Broken In
@Soham

@Rider

If you are okay with 14inch just check it out once at least. There is nothing better than the think pad. at 32k. I am buying the thinkpad.

about the asus one it doesnt feel cheap at all. it feels good and durable.but its buklky and big.

priyankashah

Broken In
Hi all...thnx for ur wonderfull responses.....

I hv zeroed in these 3 laptops and i m very very confused between them.....plz let me know which one shud i go for. plz don't suggest me any other laptop...i will get more confused:-D

Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH35EN-i3/2bg/320bg/512mb

Asus X53SC-SX492D / Core i5 / 2 GB / 750 GB

Lenovo Essential G Series G570-i5/4gb/500gb

I am concerned about the viewing angles of ASUS X53SC....can anyone plz throw some light on it??

thanks
Priyanka

rider

as Kratos

I hv zeroed in these 3 laptops and i m very very confused between them.....plz let me know which one shud i go for. plz don't suggest me any other laptop...i will get more confused:-D

I am concerned about the viewing angles of ASUS X53SC....can anyone plz throw some light on it??

thanks
Priyanka

Regarding to display, Vaio would be definitely better among all.
See everyone has different opinion regarding to display, you know like those who use IPS panel would say its totally a shitty monitor. You should better take demonstration in the showroom rather asking from someone.

Monk

Journeyman
See everyone has different opinion regarding to display, you know like those who use IPS panel would say its totally a shitty monitor.

Valid point. You cannot expect a HD 1080p LED TV like quality from a budget laptop!!
Sony has a slightly better screen, but asus wins specs wise. Asus will be a future proof option, since you are not looking to game on it.

aroraanant

Explorer

thanks
Priyanka
Go for Asus

chethanbhat

Hello Friends, I just finished my Engineering and will be going for a construction job in July. This Laptop will be just for entertainment purpose, not work related. Here is the filled form.

1) What is your budget?

Rs 40,000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Value for Money Brands such as Acer, Lenovo, Asus
b. Dislike:

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Watching Movies, Web-surfing, Gaming, Autocad and Civil Engineering work.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Screen Resolution - Whatever best fits in the budget without compromising other features

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Should not be fingerprint magnet

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes. COD MW3, Crysis, Fifa etc

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Not important. Prefer to plug in always. But 3-4 hrs shd be good enough.

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Won't buy online. Will buy from local dealer.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

DOS/Linux. Will install windows later.

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
720p or 1080p , whatever best in budget.

I preferably need

1.2nd Gen C-i5
2. Higher the Hard Disk Capacity , better. Cos i maintain a huge collection of movies, documentaries. Preferably 500GB and Above
3. Also should provide decent frame rates for games such as COD MW3, Crysis, Fifa etc. I don't want ultra high settings. Just medium settings.
4. I use AutoCad and Structural Softwares. So please keep that in mind.
5. USB 3.0 port is preferable.
6. Need DOS/Linux operating system. I will install windows later.
7. RAM 4gb and above.

I don't need shiny white elephant. So looks not important. Value for money is very very important

Some Laptops in my mind - Acer 5755G, Acer 5830 TG.

Thank You in Advance.

Monk

Journeyman
Since you like Lenovo, Lenovo IdeaPad Z Series Z570 (59-315960) is a good option.
Comes with 750GB HDD, 4GB Ram, Core i5, 2GB nVidia 540M, DOS.
@ 42,745 INR

aroraanant

Explorer
Hello Friends, I just finished my Engineering and will be going for a construction job in July. This Laptop will be just for entertainment purpose, not work related. Here is the filled form.

1) What is your budget?

Rs 40,000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Value for Money Brands such as Acer, Lenovo, Asus
b. Dislike:

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Watching Movies, Web-surfing, Gaming, Autocad and Civil Engineering work.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Screen Resolution - Whatever best fits in the budget without compromising other features

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Should not be fingerprint magnet

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes. COD MW3, Crysis, Fifa etc

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Not important. Prefer to plug in always. But 3-4 hrs shd be good enough.

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Won't buy online. Will buy from local dealer.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

DOS/Linux. Will install windows later.

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
720p or 1080p , whatever best in budget.

I preferably need

1.2nd Gen C-i5
2. Higher the Hard Disk Capacity , better. Cos i maintain a huge collection of movies, documentaries. Preferably 500GB and Above
3. Also should provide decent frame rates for games such as COD MW3, Crysis, Fifa etc. I don't want ultra high settings. Just medium settings.
4. I use AutoCad and Structural Softwares. So please keep that in mind.
5. USB 3.0 port is preferable.
6. Need DOS/Linux operating system. I will install windows later.
7. RAM 4gb and above.

I don't need shiny white elephant. So looks not important. Value for money is very very important

Some Laptops in my mind - Acer 5755G, Acer 5830 TG.

Thank You in Advance.
have a look at Asus laptops here, choose the one which suits you better.

chethanbhat

Is there any heating issues with Asus K53SM-SX010D ? Also heard problem related to speakers..

Is Lenovo good brand ??? Is Z570 worth the deal without sacrificing quality ?

akroy87

Hello, I am confused between following two laptops:
1. HP probook 4430s: i5-2350m,4GB RAM,500GB-7200rpm HDD,Intel HD3000
2. Lenovo L420: i5-2450m,4GB RAM,500GB-7200 rpm HDD, ATI Radeon 6470M

I am not into gaming so not thinking of graphics cards as such.(Are these both cards give nearly same performance??) But I am able to get both these configuration at almost same price.

Please comment on specification and also on performance of HP probook vs Lenovo L series & their service in India.

Top Bottom