Advise on buying a new Hard Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott274

Broken In
My 4 year old 80GB samsung harddisk was slowly going bad. After asking a lot on the net I have almost decided on buying a Seagate IDE harddisk as it was most recommended. Went to my nearest departmental stores PC shop and they told me a Seagate IDE 250GB Harddisk will come for Rs.3100/- and Seagate IDE 160GB will come for Rs.2575/- both with 3 years warrenty. Can somebody confirm these current rates and warrenty period. I am asking because they are a lot high than what I expected.

I live in mumbai by the way. Any more advise on this topic will be certainly appreciated as I am new to buying hard drive :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Dude. that price is very high

You get a 500Gb seagate or 640Gb Western Digital HDD for 3.5k

You better get the HDD from a location in your city where that has most h/w dealers

like Nehru place in Delhi, SP Road in Blore.

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
ok..I bought my 160Gb Seagate Sata hard disc for 1850/- including VAT yesterday from Arihant, kolkata.

WOW 160GB for just Rs.1850 What was the warrenty given.

Any mumbai guys can please advise me where to buy hard disk in mumbai because that departmental shop in dadar seems to be quoting very high price.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Lamington Road

The warranty will be the same unless you are cheated by giving second hand product :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
He's asking for IDE, and they are in the higher price range now, as very less demand.

The 500GB price mentioned might b for SATA:rolleyes:?

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
He's asking for IDE, and they are in the higher price range now, as very less demand.

The 500GB price mentioned might b for SATA:rolleyes:?

OH! I didn't think about that. Can anybody please find out the rates for Seagate IDE 250GB or 160GB.

And Seagate hard drives are very good aren't they. Or should I also ask for prices for western digital IDE drives etc. too

Will go to lamington road tomorrow and poke around, although never really have gone there before. Any mumbai guys familiar with the area knows where exactly to go there, shops etc.

Edit:
Seagate Baracuda 160 gb - 1975
250 gb - 2435
360 gb - 2270

at kolkata - it is going to fall very short
Is this for IDE drives. And what is "Baracuda". There are different types in Seagate hard drives? which is good and affordable?

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure
all are IDE drives. seagate Baracudda is better available ide drives.
At present IDE drives r in high price while SATA drives r much chiper. I think u need a ide one.

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
all are IDE drives. seagate Baracudda is better available ide drives.
At present IDE drives r in high price while SATA drives r much chiper. I think u need a ide one.

Yes I need an IDE drive as I don't have sata ports on my motherboard.

If I am not reading you wrong, Seagate Baracuda 160 gb IDE drive is for Rs.1975/- and is quite good. Please confirm. I find this affordable and OK. Do you know what is the warrenty period for this Seagate Baracuda 160 gb IDE drive, 3 or 5 years.

I guess I will just take the train to lamington road tomorrow and see some shops there. Well if there's any other advise you guys might have for me on this topic, please go ahead ;-)

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
Thanks master bhai :) Let's hope the prices on itwares are uptodate. They don't seems too bad.

Edit: I am not able to find the price for 160GB seagate barracuda IDE anywhere on the net. They do come with 5 years warranty but are they more expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom