advice me please : which linux is just like windows ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
ok bruders

just installed Kubuntu ..its far more crappy than Mandriva :x
Ok lemme state my probs then u suggest solns..lets kill each prob of Kubuntu ..i am not hopping distro now

1. In installation it hasnt asked for any root password..now I cant login as root user so cant do anything....If I supply same pwd as my user it denies ....???

2. No mp3 and avi support like Mandriva...

3. Adept hardware manager and any thing I start like Kmix etc shows a time button and after that nothing comes

Please help .....ASAP

^^ woohoo I shud be in R &D instead of IT :D ...just searched Kububtu forums and installed VLC by
reading newbie guide ...apt rocks ..feels like more n more learning linux like a developer ....woo hooo :D

but tell me guys abt that Adept problem ....I m doing my research also ;)

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
In the Open Source subforum here, you will see some posts marked "Sticky". They are always on top no matter what, and that says it all, they're IMPORTANT.
So if you bother to look into the one that reads,"Frequently Asked Questions", you'd see that there is a link called Packages and Dependencies for Ubuntu 8.04
That contains whole multimedia packages with dependencies updated every month, with install instructions. It has been compiled for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu.

And yeah, you have no root account in Kubuntu. All you need to do for administrative tasks is to enter your own password, when you log in as the default acount.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ are i thought ki Kubuntu has KDE desktop so more similar to windows :p

accha tell me which torrent client to install and how ?

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
add/remove progs se kaise karu ? Adept clik karte hee ek timer aata hai aur fir nothing happens..how to install deluge ..step by step guide needed :D

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ ok will be trying that..similarly to install skype ??

sudo apt-get install deluge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package deluge

wat to do now :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
^^ are i thought ki Kubuntu has KDE desktop so more similar to windows :p
I started off with gnome and I don't regret that. It takes 30 minutes to learn and get used to Gnome, while in KDE, you need to explore on endlessly. KDE may have principles on which some vista features are based on, and both may have menu on right hand bottom side, and they both appear similar on the outside, but on the inside KDE is much more complex.

And yeah, your Kubuntu 8.04 has KDE 3.5.x, not KDE 4.1. Meaning you get the old experience in it, and I think it would be a confusing job for you to migrate to KDE 4.1 immidiately at this level of experience in linux. So I suggest you move to GNOME.
^^ ok will be trying that..similarly to install skype ??

wat to do now :confused::confused::confused:
Well, I think the name is deluge-torrent. Try that.
And on KDE, you might want to use KTorrent.
DO a sudo apt-get install ktorrent for it.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
hi gautham
im experimenting wid Kubuntu... :)
not hopping distros rite now ...installed Skype by Kubuntu forums help..but test call of skype has very robotic type sound coming..no clear voice any idea ? might be due to slow net speed or some linux chakkar ?

hi gautham
im experimenting wid Kubuntu... :)
not hopping distros rite now ...installed Skype by Kubuntu forums help..but test call of skype has very robotic type sound coming..no clear voice any idea ? might be due to slow net speed or some linux chakkar ?

Well, if you are experimenting with Kubuntu, fine, but from personal experience with my early linux months, it won't be a very pleasing experience for you atleast for the first few weeks. But yes, being enthusiastic helps a lot.

As for Skype, what do you mean by test call ? Did you call some friend or did you use an inbuilt test call feature ?

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
ya its not pleasing but atleast im headbanging with kubuntu not with Rammy nowadays :p
I use that test call feature..sound is very distorted and robotic type ... :(

sayakb

Right off the assembly line
You could make gnome look completely like KDE. Personally, I would go for Gnome (though I like KDE apps). As for the kubuntu sound issue, try changing the sound device to ALSA/PulseAudio

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
In Skype change your audio device to ALSA and restart Skype.
There is no ALSA option coming..only options coming are Default device and some Intel ICH6, INtel ICHhw6 etc..If I select Intel ICH6 (any one) no sound comes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.