Acer 4520 Gemstone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopz

In the zone
Officially they may want to promote Vista (so they dont have XP drivers), but I can confirm that the drivers given on the above link work fine without any problems.

gopz

In the zone
Yeah I think his audio problem would be solved if he uses the audio drivers from that blog. I have installed it on my friends laptop and it worked fine.

Pathik

Google Bot
Has ny1 installed any linux distro on this??? Does the nvidia igp get detected automatically..?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
1) Not my laptop but my uncles. Tried everything as I said. Even the drivers from that blog and many others which I found after searching. Nothing worked!

2) Yes, it gets detected. You need the restricted drivers if you use something like Ubuntu. If you use Sabayon, tho the identifier is soemthing different 3D works great on that.

Pathik

Google Bot
Infra you need to get the drivers from the acer.co.cn china site.. I ll give u the link if I get it.

Pathik

Google Bot
*www.acer.com.cn/driver/check_whole.asp?a=d32&sort=notebook&product=AS4520&path=WinXP

This is what I was talking about.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yep, haf all that. Deosn't work for some strange reason :( Audio works in Linux/Vista but not XP no matter what. I've given up!

gopz

In the zone
Infra red I know for a fact that it works, because it has been installed on my friends lappy. If you give me your address I offer to courier a copy of the CD to you

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Its ok gopz :) Thank you for the offer. My uncle got Vista. Now obviously he won't pay for XP again! But nevertheless I'd surely wanna see the Audio working in XP!!!

puchudear

Right off the assembly line
Can anybody please post the actual price of Acer 4520 by Mar,2008 please ?I am planning to buy the same,only thing I wanted to know about the drivers available at acer website,are they working properly ?

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I have done enough research on 4520 & am using XP & Mint (on this laptop) for a while now,never had much of a problem. Kindly let me know if any support required on this one.

Can anybody please post the actual price of Acer 4520 by Mar,2008 please ?I am planning to buy the same,only thing I wanted to know about the drivers available at acer website,are they working properly ?

Currently its available for Rs. 25,999 w/o carry case & excluding taxes. You get a resource CD with the machine. Which will configure everything on this laptop.

Last edited:

girishadat

Hi friends,

I bought this laptop in November 2007.
(Acer Aspire 4520 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 - TK 55 - 1GB RAM - nVidia GeForce 7000m - Bluetooth - WiFi - Card Reader - PCMCIA - DVD Burner - 4 USB - 14.1" LCD - WebCam - 2+1x4key touchpad).
The only problem with this one is a small heating problem. It won't break your work because of this. But you may feel uncomfortable if u are keeping this lappy long on your lap. Another limitation is 2.15 hr of battery back up, and finally a CRT like reflection problem with the LCD screen. But as this is a feature rich - above average budget lappy, I am always happy with this one. One more problem is the toy like look(Contributed by the designers of BMW). But the build quality is good...

I am running 32 bit WinXP on it and got a DVD of XP and Vista drivers with it...

I used to connect my n73 with this lappy using bluetooth without any problem...

This is a good choice for an average user... :)

gindimane

Hi!
I have purchased an Acer aspire 4520 nwxmi (yes,there is another model wxmi with a turion and win vista).
Cost:Rs 28500(incl VAT and carry bag)
(i upgraded the RAM to 3gb transcend so total cost is Rs30500/-)
Specs:
AMD athlon X2 TK-57 1.9Ghz
nvidia 610m chipset
nvidia 7000m graphics
3gb RAM 667hzDDR2
160 GB HDD
14.1" widescreen
DVD super multi
USB 2.0 x 4
IEEE firewire x 1
S-video x1
VGA x1
Dolby digital live speakers
Webcam with mic 1.3 MP
Bluetooth 2.0
Consumer infrared port
5in1 cardreader
LAN,Wireless LAN,dailup
6 cell li-on battery
1 year ITW

Review:
1.Processor: This has a AMD athlon X2 tk 57 1.9 Ghz.what's the difference between athlon x2 mobile and turion?Turion was built for laptops athlon was for desktops .main difference is in power consumption(tu-35w,ath-65w).turion is better in this point.otherwise no much difference in performance even when compared to the intel duos(yes the benchmarks may show some variations in performances but in actual running conditions no much difference).So,opted for the AMD athlon(earlier they offered TK53 1.7ghz,now a tk 57 so even better).Also i'm not much into battery life.

2.RAM: 1 GB they provide may be sufficient for everyday applications.but for graphic intense applications,more the ram ,better.So,opted for a RAM upgrade .Nowadays RAM is cheap 1gb for 1000/-.Remember to go for a good ram brand .i chose transcend with lifetime warranty.

3.HDD: i think 160 GB is enough for most of us.

4.Graphics:nvidia GeForce 7000m .Ya,this is a bit of outdated graphics card.Has 256 MB dedicated RAM and 796MB turbo cache(shared).I am not much into games but saw some demos of games most worked well in high detail.some had snags i must agree.But Hey!for a laptop of this budget it is more than expected.

5.Screen: Acer crystalbrite 14.1'' widescreen has very good brightness and response time no problem with this.

6. DVD super multi:Reads and writes no pblm.good write time.this is a DVD RAM

7.Ports:Has good connectivity.4 USB ports are sufficient as web cam ,mic are all built in.there's a fire wire and s video .HDMI would have been a plus point..

8.Connectivity:Bluetooth and CIR do a good job.Webcam is pretty clear with1.3 MP

9.Audio:speakers are of a very good quality with dolby support.really much better than even those of the costlier laptops.

10.Battery: Battery life is not that good 2hrs.athlon may be affecting here.also there's a bit over heating.

As far as the looks,exterior is pretty much similar to all others glossy and matt black.interiror keyboard part is white ,,mac like,may appear toyish for some but for me it impresses.Build quality,keyboard are good.
Regarding drivers,the resource CD has both vista and xp drivers.Though many complained about driver problems i had no problem with any drivers.And yes the heating is a bit noticeable when working for long hours and graphic intense applications.

Otherwise a very good laptop that too at this pricepoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom