about file sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack expert

In the zone
well to start with me n my friend are on the same lan he`s got windows xp professional n i have home edition
well we can share file using lan mssnger n other softwares rest other things are ok
but when go in my network places nn click on his computer icon a message appears dat u cannot acess this computer is it becoz o difference in editions coz i can view shared folders of other users
also the network is not firewalled

also is there neway to password protect ur shared folders so dat only i or my friends can access it

sailendra

Journeyman
you can share files using the shared folders feature. other than that there is no real secure way of sharing files using NTFS permissions - cos you are using the home edition of xp. Alternative is to look for third party programs - its too much of a bother - just switch to XP Professional.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
First off, here's what you need to do. Open Windows Explorer, and click Tools>Options>View and at the bottom, uncheck the "Enable simple file sharing (Recommended" box and click Apply>OK. Then, right click the folder that you want to share (please try not to share the root of the drive) and select Properties>Sharing. Select "Share this folder" and give the share a name. If you're really paranoid, you can create an account for the user on the computer, and assign Permissions to him to either Read/Write/Full Control over the folder and then deny the rest. So the next time he tries to access the folder, he will be prompted for a username and a password and enabling it will allow him to view the folder and copy data to/from it.

Of course, since he is using the Home Edition, you're out of luck as Windows XP Home does not support Advanced file sharing. :) So, as sailendra said, either both of you switch to either Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Professional, that is, if you're uncomfortable or facing problems with simple file sharing using the Shared Folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom