Able to burn DVD-RW, Not able to burn DVD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
I am facing an issue since past couple of days when i tried writing a DVD. I selected all the files and proceeded for the actually burning of the DVD-R. The data is around 4.3 GB consisting of 6 Divx/Xvid movie files. But when the burn process starts the total time shown is around 7-8 minutes but after the stipulated time when the time remaining counter is nearing 0:00, computer stops responding. Also just before the computer hangs the percentage of burning shown is just around 50% mark (+/- 10%). I was burning at 8x speed. But when i tried burning a DVD-RW (@ 4x since thats what is max available for it), it burned the same effortlessly.

What seems to be the problem ??:(

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
^ A DVD has a capacity of 4.7 GB .. 4.3 GB is appropriate ..

@ Rak007 , which software are u using and which maker's drive ?

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
I am using Nero and the drive is of Liteon Make. I suppose the problem is because of the speed at which i am burning the DVD-R. The moser baer DVD-R that i am using states 16x Max speed but my drive only shows 8x at max. The previous two instances when it failed to burn, i had tried burning it at 8x. I suppose i will try doing the same at 4x and then see if it writes properly or not.

utsav

damn busy...
^ A DVD has a capacity of 4.7 GB .. 4.3 GB is appropriate ..

@ Rak007 , which software are u using and which maker's drive ?

Now let me clear your confusion :razz: .A DVD has 4.7GB in because the manufacturers calculate 1 MB to have 1000KB and 1 GB to have 1000MB but in reality 1MB = 1024KB and 1GB = 1024 MB .The dvd burning apps calculate using the latter pattern so the actual recording space available on a dvd comes to 4490 MB or 4.38GB .whenever i burn dvds i fill the space till 4485MB :D i face no problems burning it. So A DVD in reality contains 4.38GB space and not 4.7GB which is a different measurement system used by the company. Thats y if you buy a say a 80GB HDD you will be getting only 74.54GB space in reality . I hope this has cleared ur confusion :D :razz:

BBThumbHealer

^ i knew this...me too fill the space till 4483 MB. anyone can chk this in Nero !
So no confusion on my side ... :p

@ Rak007 , try changing ur Blank DVD brand . At present , which disc r u using ?

BBThumbHealer

^^ SO y did u said that a DVD has 4.7GB space and 4.3 GB is appropriate :lol: :razz:

While buying an HDD , we say we want the with capacity of 80 GB rather than 74.54GB ! :D ... Now lets don't take this thread offtopic thru our discussions !

legolas

Padawan
I have used Ashampoo burning software and I had the same issues earlier and my system would hang at around 99%. I had searched for problems, din't find anything useful. But, a newer version was available and that fixed the problem.
1) are you using the latest version of nero, if not, try it.
2) can you also try using say, other writing softwares like powerISO (by taking images and then burning the image file...)

ancientrites

In the zone
my liteon model number LH-20AIP and i purchased 10 moserbaer 8.5gb double layer blank dvds 8xdvd+r dl.unfortunately my dvdriter and dvdrom doesnt recognizes but all the blank dvds seem crispy clean and no damage.
i even tried updating firmware but it is already updated.help plz

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
my liteon model number LH-20AIP and i purchased 10 moserbaer 8.5gb double layer blank dvds 8xdvd+r dl.unfortunately my dvdriter and dvdrom doesnt recognizes but all the blank dvds seem crispy clean and no damage.
i even tried updating firmware but it is already updated.help plz

Me too facing the same problem and i too have updated the firmware but to no use

redhat

Mad and Furious
Is it such that your DVD writer is compatible wid onli dvd-r n not with dvd+r??

pls chk that out...

ancientrites

In the zone
Is it such that your DVD writer is compatible wid onli dvd-r n not with dvd+r??

pls chk that out...

have a look at my 2 models
*us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=1
*us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=216&Itemid=99&limit=1&limitstart=1

acewin

Point Blanc
it think DVD writer needs repair, LOL, I am facing this issue my lappy's writer.

Have taken backup of my lappy will format it whole then check the writer, if didnt work, will give it for repair if anything happens there. But because its my company lappy it may even get writer changed. and again the speed of my writer is 8x max as usual in laptops.
Generally it gives error disk seek error or hungs or ............... but never burns a writeable DVD complete without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom