A question for members who work in Indian MNC's

hotshot05

I luv Digit
If I join an Indian MNC(service company) and am allocated a domain(e.g mainframe or testing) which I do not like, will I able to jump to some other domain some years down the line?
If I am allocated a Testing profile but use my spare time to contribute to open source software or write programs to solve some problems and then release it for use by the public or participate in coding competitions, will I be able to use that in my CV to jump to a developer profile?
If I am working in the JAVA domain but after a few years don't enjoy it any more, will i be able to shift to using a new language? If I can show that I done some useful work in my spare time using the new language, will that be of any help?
Will there be a chance of joining a product company like Adobe, Paypal, Amazon after I have worked for a few years in an Indian services MNC? Or will that be a negative point on my CV?
I am an EE by education. After working for 3-4 years, if I study M.Tech in any computer related subject from IIIT, will it be of any help to my career?
I mentioned IIIT since they conduct their own examination. For IIT's and NIT's, I will have to give GATE and I don't think I will be allowed to give GATE in a stream other than the one which I studied during my graduation.

Hrishi

If I join an Indian MNC(service company) and am allocated a domain(e.g mainframe or testing) which I do not like, will I able to jump to some other domain some years down the line?
If I am allocated a Testing profile but use my spare time to contribute to open source software or write programs to solve some problems and then release it for use by the public or participate in coding competitions, will I be able to use that in my CV to jump to a developer profile?
If I am working in the JAVA domain but after a few years don't enjoy it any more, will i be able to shift to using a new language? If I can show that I done some useful work in my spare time using the new language, will that be of any help?
Will there be a chance of joining a product company like Adobe, Paypal, Amazon after I have worked for a few years in an Indian services MNC? Or will that be a negative point on my CV?
I am an EE by education. After working for 3-4 years, if I study M.Tech in any computer related subject from IIIT, will it be of any help to my career?
I mentioned IIIT since they conduct their own examination. For IIT's and NIT's, I will have to give GATE and I don't think I will be allowed to give GATE in a stream other than the one which I studied during my graduation.
#.It depends on a lot of factors , like if you have contacts in the other domain where you want to switch.Whether there are relevent vacancies or not.What are the policies of the company.etc.
AFAIK , many MNCs only allow developers into a development job with prior experience.Freshers are only hired through campus placement.
#.Yes , that will create a good reflection in your CV. That's a positive point , displaying your performance as an individual and your creativity and passion.
#.It's possible to shift to a new language , but it's not that easy.

But IMO , if you got enough sources/referencs in a company , it wouldn't be hard for you to crack those opportunities.
So , consider a lot on developing connections in higher management.

Although , If It were me , I would always go for a low paying development job in beginning than a highly paid non-dev job.And TBH' there are lots of reasons behind that ' which'll only be uncovered in long term basis.

That's just my 2 cents.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2013/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/GATE-2013-Brochure.pdf
The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
#.It depends on a lot of factors , like if you have contacts in the other domain where you want to switch.Whether there are relevent vacancies or not.What are the policies of the company.etc.
AFAIK , many MNCs only allow developers into a development job with prior experience.Freshers are only hired through campus placement.
#.Yes , that will create a good reflection in your CV. That's a positive point , displaying your performance as an individual and your creativity and passion.
#.It's possible to shift to a new language , but it's not that easy.

But IMO , if you got enough sources/referencs in a company , it wouldn't be hard for you to crack those opportunities.
So , consider a lot on developing connections in higher management.

Although , If It were me , I would always go for a low paying development job in beginning than a highly paid non-dev job.And TBH' there are lots of reasons behind that ' which'll only be uncovered in long term basis.
That's just my 2 cents.

elaborate please. :)