a durable high performing laptop for 30- 40 k

Rajiv

Broken In
General Questions

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
30-40 K INR

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" or 15" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, HP, Sony
b. Dislike: Lenovo

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

a. MS Office tasks
b. Surfing Web

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Mostly to be used at home

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No gaming

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

4 hrs

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Prefer to see it

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Win 7

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?

Normal standard resolutions

This laptop will used by my parents.. Hence no gaming. It will be used for basic tasks like internet and other usual tasks. Want a laptop which gives
good performance, does not heat up too much, gives good battery back up and can perform reasonably for 4-5 yrs.

aroraanant

Explorer
Check out Sony VAIO E Series VPCEG2AEN.
You will get for around 35-35.5k,may be lil cheaper but not for more than that.

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
What abt Asus? is there any Asus model which is better than the sony one.

And also regarding After sales service which brand is good.

aroraanant

Explorer
But for the tasks you have mentioned here the above suggested laptop is perfect for you.
The Asus laptops generally comes with Graphic card which you don't need as graphic cards are required for gaming.
If you still want Asus then you can look at the following models:
Asus K Series X53SC-SX224D
And Asus X Series X53SC-SX223D, for this one you need to extend you budget but I think you don't need such high configuration laptop to perform the tasks you have mentioned above.

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
Which brand is good as per after sales service? also will it be better to buy a laptop brand which has a service center in the same city.?

Mine is a small town where very few laptop firms have service centers?

also whether Sony Vaio E VPCEG2AEN has good battery back up and whether it heats up too much..

Too many questions.. Hope i get all d answers:)

aroraanant

Explorer
Asus is good and is having onsite service.There are a couple of members who own Asus laptops here on TDF so I think could tell you better.
Almost every brand is providing onsite service now but sony doesn't come in that league.So you should check that the companies which do not provide onsite service have their service centers in your town.
Sony one has good a decent battery back up,depend on what you are doing,you can get a backup of around 3.5-4hrs while surfing.
Asus X Series X53SC-SX223D is the best cheapest option if you wanna a laptop with i7. It will costs you around 41-42k

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
Can anybody pls suggest a laptop with a decent webcam as it will be used for video chat too?

The models already suggested have just 0.3 M webcam

MyGeekTips

script-kiddie geek
Can anybody pls suggest a laptop with a decent webcam as it will be used for video chat too?

As per my knowledge you'll not find a good webcam in laptops below 50K. I would better advise you to buy a external webcam.

aroraanant

Explorer
What is the meaning of onsite warranty/service?

Onsite means that the company will send a engineer at your place and he will repair the laptop at your place, you don't need to go the service centre to get it repaired

In video chat one doesn'r need a very good cam, an average camera will do the work. Asus is giving 0.3 mp camera in all the laptops.The are companies who give 1.3 and 2 mp camera in the laptops.
So if camera quality matters a lot then get an additional webcam or if you want a good inbuilt webcam then go for something other than Asus.
But I personally don't think that one needs a very good webcam and if one really do then one should buy an additional webcam.

As per my knowledge you'll not find a good webcam in laptops below 50K. I would better advise you to buy a external webcam.

It is not like that.
One can get a decent webcam in 25-30k laptops also(may be in cheaper laptops also but I don't have any idea about them)

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
@aroraanant ,, Sony VAIO VPC2GAEN does not seem to be available ..
Any other Sony alternative

1 thing more .. suggest a laptop which has a decent webcam

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Check out HP probook models. They do provide 2.0mp cams. My one room partner owns it. Although i haven't personally checked its quality, but it should be far better than 0.3mp at least. One best thing about the probook, it makes my laptop speaker sound like mobile speaker when both are played! :cry:

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
@dashing.sujay..

Does HP probook good on other parameters which i listed out in the beginning

in the forum questionnaire?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
It won't give you more than 3 hrs of battery back up.

My mate's is 1 yr old, and it hardly gives 1 and half hour now.

aroraanant

Explorer

Sony laptops have a decent webcam.
The above model is widely available in local market,I don't know why it is not available in local market,I think it is because it may be in huge demand.

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
I just called a dealer in bangalore .. He told me that Sony VAIO
VPCEG2AEN has been discontinued because of some defect.. in place of that
Sony has launched VPCEG3AEN .

I saw both of them in flipkart. there is quite a bit of difference in price
for almost exactly same spec

aroraanant

Explorer
I suggest you to put your email id in the notify my option for this laptop on letsbuy as well as flipkart and then just wait for a couple of days.
And apart from that try some other dealer also.