A cheap, reliable, durable e-reader with PDF support.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Hello!

Reading hundreds of pages on laptop leaves me very tired and eyes strained. Taking print outs used to work with smaller number of pages. Could you please suggest an e-reader that supports PDF files besides the regular epub and does not cause strain to the eye? I've heard that kindles are pretty good at this, but I have no clue about what their capabilities, pros and cons are. What's e-ink? Will having a non-backlit e-reader make reading in low-light difficult?

Budget: Not really sure what these cost, but cheaper is always better. :)
Battery life: At least 12 hours.
Screen size: At least 5 inches.

I'm extremely sorry for the above questions might be noobish - I have no clue about anything related to this field of technology. I could try to wait for a month or two if there's a new model or better deal coming up.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
just bought Kobo Glo from ebay for INR4458 few days back. it has epub, pdf, mobi and lot many format support. has front lighting too. best in this price range as kindle paperwhite is 10999. now available at ebay at 4999. Kobo GLO Black Leave A Feedback IF Happy | eBay

the seller is basically croma retail and on their official website, this is available at 10999. the delivery is pathetic though all else is fine.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Thanks for your reply.

Could you give a short review on Kobo Glo?

With very little research that I could do in the little spare time that I had, I found that reading PDFs is not a delightful experience on Kindles. Is it same with this? What about abilities to highlight text? That's really needed because most of the text I have to read if of in PDF.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Reading pdf is not great in ereader. I have kindle and pdf is very hard to read. You can install Duokan OS which has better pdf rendering.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
another option is ipad mini 1 ,install kindle app and ibooks and use with low screen brightness,its almost as good as e ink
i myself use my ipad 2 as an ebook reader now,my mom has a kindle paperwhite but e ink and the overall UI is a bit annoying sometimes
though battery life is a major plus-8 weeks vs 16hours on my ipad

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
why not convert pdf into epub and then read?
afaik, in kobo glo, you cannot select text in PDFs or comic books.
reading epub / mobi etc. is flawless. i have changed fonts (made bigger) and it works perfectly.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Reading pdf is not great in ereader. I have kindle and pdf is very hard to read. You can install Duokan OS which has better pdf rendering.
Thanks, I will look into details of this OS. BTW Does installing this void the warranty? I'm assuming it does...

another option is ipad mini 1 ,install kindle app and ibooks and use with low screen brightness,its almost as good as e ink
i myself use my ipad 2 as an ebook reader now,my mom has a kindle paperwhite but e ink and the overall UI is a bit annoying sometimes
though battery life is a major plus-8 weeks vs 16hours on my ipad
Because neither is it in my budget, nor is it worth the money just for reading PDFs. Added to that, irritation to eyes after hours of reading from a screen is the reason I wanted to switch.

why not convert pdf into epub and then read?
afaik, in kobo glo, you cannot select text in PDFs or comic books.
reading epub / mobi etc. is flawless. i have changed fonts (made bigger) and it works perfectly.
PDFs do not convert very well into epubs, especially with footnotes and all. :/

$hadow

Geek in making
Why not get a elchepo tab and spend about 500 for a good e reader software and enjoy it.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks, I will look into details of this OS. BTW Does installing this void the warranty? I'm assuming it does...
/

You can easily uninstall Duokan OS from its setting. Even formatting the storage space after connecting to Windows will remove Duokan OS.

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Why not get a elchepo tab and spend about 500 for a good e reader software and enjoy it.

That seems the only plausible option. However, I am being warned of most devices being low-res and reading on them not being enjoyable. Was thinking about a Nexus 7 2013. Although the ASUS Fonepad 7 seems to be good, too. Not to mention cheaper by 5k-odd rupees.

What do you guys say?

- - - Updated - - -

You can easily uninstall Duokan OS from its setting. Even formatting the storage space after connecting to Windows will remove Duokan OS.

I'm not very convinced by the PDF highlighting capabilities. Could you please post some images? :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
That seems the only plausible option. However, I am being warned of most devices being low-res and reading on them not being enjoyable. Was thinking about a Nexus 7 2013. Although the ASUS Fonepad 7 seems to be good, too. Not to mention cheaper by 5k-odd rupees.

What do you guys say?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not very convinced by the PDF highlighting capabilities. Could you please post some images? :)

you could also wait for nokia n1,seems very promising and the specs are amazing for the price
plus its nokia so you are assured good quality and ASS

$hadow

Geek in making

What do you guys say?

- - - Updated - - -

If you can get N7 2013 there is no other tab in this range to compete with it

Top Bottom