915GAV mobo and P4 3.0 Ghz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech&ME

Banned
Hi again guys.

Can anyone tell me what should be the ideal temperature for a P4 3.0 GHz CPU on 915GAV mobo. I mean what should be the ideal zone 1 and zone 2 temperature of this CPU, since what i can see on the bios screen is the zone 1 and zone 2 temperature goes to about 38 to 39 degree C. Is this normal for this CPU or is it on the higher side please tell me.

I think it is right no problem. Don't worry what do u say about my amd2600+ it is 50+ always dude. 8)

I open up the cabinet and heat my room! :lol:

rohanbee

Padawan
Well i have had the same problem as you with the over heating thing with the 915gav. These cabinets that we are getting in the market today are not suitable for our new generation extra-heat producing processors. :evil:

i always have my cpu cabinet open and have installed two extra fans as well.

Apart from that i installed the sp2 of windows xp it seems it also solves some of the problem related to the alert that we get when the system reaches the threshold temp.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@ Tech&ME
you can try the software provided with the board i.e Intel Active monitor. Also you can download a light version of the same software from the intel website which doesnt have all useless stuff such as stress test, diskeeper lite etc....

i am using the same board but just 5 mins before posting you a reply i have uninstalled the intel active monitor as i suspect it was giving me false warnings for my system..... i have 3 extra fans with an antec smps and still it was showing my system zone to be overheated... i tried everything and then finally uninstalled it and now i am searching for a similar kinda software.

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys
I have an Intel 915 GAG motherboard, with Intel P4 2.8. I am also suffering from the overheating problem. I dont think there is a problem with the Intel Active Monitor. I also got the Warning message when my system zone 1 temp crossed 50 . Initially i ignored it but after sometime the computer turned of itself and when i restarted it i heard bepeps from motherboard. I switched it on after 1 hour and a message came on the screen that " The Computer was Turned of due to a thermal Event.(overheating). " I have also installed two additional fans but it made not much difference. I am also keeping my Cabinet open .

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Well guys my problem is still not solved, like mako_123 said, my computer also turned off itself it between, it seems the temperature for zone1 went to almost 50 + and hence this happened. I checked with the intel website and they recommend to keep the temperature atleast to 38 C, but it seems its impossible also they recommend to install the mobo and the processor in a cabinet with AIR GUIDE . Well I purchased a similar cabinet with AIR GUIDE fitted onto it but the whole purpose of the AIR GUIDE itself is creating problem it seems since the heatsink fan rotates at an rpm of only about 2500 or so (-2000) which is much low for such a Processor and hence the air does not get pulled out by the AIR GUIDE directly. Having an extra fan does not do much as well. And working on an Air conditioned room always is not viable. Is there any concrete solution to this ?? Please help me.

Prajith

Broken In
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Hey guys try out speedfan it is a great software to monitor your sys temps and even your hdd

Try this link
*www.almico.com/speedfan423.exe

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

rohanbee

Padawan
Tech&ME said:
Well guys my problem is still not solved, like mako_123 said, my computer also turned off itself it between, it seems the temperature for zone1 went to almost 50 + and hence this happened. I checked with the intel website and they recommend to keep the temperature atleast to 38 C, but it seems its impossible also they recommend to install the mobo and the processor in a cabinet with AIR GUIDE . Well I purchased a similar cabinet with AIR GUIDE fitted onto it but the whole purpose of the AIR GUIDE itself is creating problem it seems since the heatsink fan rotates at an rpm of only about 2500 or so (-2000) which is much low for such a Processor and hence the air does not get pulled out by the AIR GUIDE directly. Having an extra fan does not do much as well. And working on an Air conditioned room always is not viable. Is there any concrete solution to this ?? Please help me.

Dude try the software bit first.........it has worked for three people in my friends circle. Also make sure your cabinet is kept in an area with a lot of cross ventilation. sometimes sticking it in a corner also does not help.

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey tech

Open the BIOS and under Advanced TAB open FAN CONFIGURATION. Then Disable FAN CONTROL. i did the same fan and my fan speed became around 3000 , before that it was around 2300. It also gave some slight releif from overheating

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Hey kiran_k i don't know where did u picked this up from but i think this is not officially recommened from intel. This CPU (LGA 775) does not require any paste like material to be put on the surface of the CPU instead a brown tape is to be applied to this surface as per intel. And ya the water cooling solution may work however, will try that.

And mako_123 will try your solution also.

Any new ideas are always welcome, please do post in.

rohanbee

Padawan
Tech&ME said:
Hey kiran_k i don't know where did u picked this up from but i think this is not officially recommened from intel. This CPU (LGA 775) does not require any paste like material to be put on the surface of the CPU instead a brown tape is to be applied to this surface as per intel. And ya the water cooling solution may work however, will try that.

Its true Intel does not recommend anything. I don't even think they officially accept that there is any over-heating problem with the P4. Anyone and everyone i have met face this problem to some extent or the other. Un-fortunately the solutions are becoming more expensive than owning the actual product.
I think that is the reason that Intel will not come out with a 4.0ghz chip as they cannot find a solution to the heat dissapated by millions of transistors working together.

kiran_k

Broken In
Well I do know that intel does not recommend such things, but still it is a very good solution. every thing is explained in the PDF as to how it actually works. furthermore a temp of 36 to 38 degrees is absolutely normal, care should be taken if temp. reaches late40's.

rohanbee

Padawan
someone once suggested this stuff called artic silver? anyone have some more info on it, or actually used it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom