4 accused in Hyderabad rape-murder case killed in encounter: Telangana Police

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Source: 4 accused in Hyderabad rape-murder case killed in encounter: Telangana Police

All four accused in the rape-and-murder case of a 25-year-old woman veterinarian were shot dead in an encounter by the Telangana police during the early hours of Friday.

According to the police, the accused were killed in an exchange of fire which also saw two policemen sustain injuries.

Th incident took place around 6:30 AM on Friday, when the accused were taken to the site of the offence for reconstruction of the crime scene as a part of the investigation, a senior police official told news agencies.

"They (accused) snatched weapons from police and fired on police and tried to escape... police fired in retaliation in which the four accused died," a senior police official told PTI.

The four men, all lorry workers, were arrested on November 29 for raping and killing the woman by smothering her and later burning her body.They were remanded to 7 days' judicial custody.

Victim's family is understood to have welcomed the encounter of the accused. "We are happy. We did not expect this (killing in encounter). We thought they would be hanged through courts.

"We thank everyone who stood by us. With this incident people should be scared to indulge in such crimes (against women),” she told reporters.

The gang rape and murder had initiated a nation-wide outrage with the public and lawmakers demanding justice in forms of a speedy punishment to the perpetrators.

The state government had ordered setting up of a special court (fast track) to expedite the trial.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have kind of mixed feelings about this whole affair. It's actually illegal but at the same time, natural justice was served. I am sad that this was supposed to be the job of the judiciary to mete out justice in a fair trial, but at the same time our system is so corrupt that there is a real possibility that these subhumans get off scot-free.

I think all the policemen involved should be punished for this to balance things out.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I have kind of mixed feelings about this whole affair. It's actually illegal but at the same time, natural justice was served. I am sad that this was supposed to be the job of the judiciary to mete out justice in a fair trial, but at the same time our system is so corrupt that there is a real possibility that these subhumans get off scot-free.

I think all the policemen involved should be punished for this to balance things out.
Yes rightly said so about those animals but what about the minor who went scot free in Nirbhaya episode only on his age factor and he is said to be the most cruel of the lot.
Even the present laws should be repealed as well.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes rightly said so about those animals but what about the minor who went scot free in Nirbhaya episode only on his age factor and he is said to be the most cruel of the lot.
Even the present laws should be repealed as well.
There were some inconsistencies on this view(some evidence suggest the main accused who later committed suicide was the most brutal one).

Laws at that time already repealed,now any heinous crime committed by a juvenile between 16-18 years can be tried as an adult case after approval by a board based on case circumstances.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
There were some inconsistencies on this view(some evidence suggest the main accused who later committed suicide was the most brutal one).

Laws at that time already repealed,now any heinous crime committed by a juvenile between 16-18 years can be tried as an adult case after approval by a board based on case circumstances.
Then why did the system at that time leave the minor scot free since the laws have been repealed. They can do a re-trial right?
I thought the laws in the Moslem world are strict regarding crimes against women but look at this once: Its shameless.Victims of Rape and Law: How the Laws of the Arab World Protect Rapists, Not Victims

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then why did the system at that time leave the minor scot free since the laws have been repealed. They can do a re-trial right?
I thought the laws in the Moslem world are strict regarding crimes against women but look at this once: Its shameless.Victims of Rape and Law: How the Laws of the Arab World Protect Rapists, Not Victims
Because of one of the fundamental rights,Article 20 in The Constitution Of India 1949
1.No person shall be convicted of any offence except for violation of the law in force at the time of the commission of the act charged as an offence, nor be subjected to a penalty greater than that which might have been inflicted under the law in force at the time of the commission of the offence.
2.No person shall be prosecuted and punished for the same offence more than once
3.No person accused of any offence shall be compelled to be a witness against himself.
Above fundamental right is there so that no govt can change law 5 years from now saying whoever posted defaming material against some leader in 2019 for which punishment at that time was 7 days of jail now gets 7 years of jail in 2024 after the new law.

The law was changed after the nirbhaya case so the minor got only 3 years as per the law at that time,it dooesn't apply just to him but to any accused during or before the time of nirbhaya case.Only acts committed after the nirbhaya case comes under the new changed law.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Because of one of the fundamental rights,Article 20 in The Constitution Of India 1949

Above fundamental right is there so that no govt can change law 5 years from now saying whoever posted defaming material against some leader in 2019 for which punishment at that time was 7 days of jail now gets 7 years of jail in 2024 after the new law.

The law was changed after the nirbhaya case so the minor got only 3 years as per the law at that time,it dooesn't apply just to him but to any accused during or before the time of nirbhaya case.Only acts committed after the nirbhaya case comes under the new changed law.
Then what about the cases that arose before the said repealed law.
It should be applied to both before and after cases after the said act was constituted.
Right or not?

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then what about the cases that arose before the said repealed law.
It should be applied to both before and after cases after the said act was constituted.
Right or not?

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk
Only for after cases.It is a basic legal standard followed by all countries with even decent judicial system.Imagine today a person is convicted for bribery for which max punishment is 2 years as per current law.Now the case drags on in court for 5 years & before the final verdict the govt at that time change law to make max punishment for bribery as 20 years so that person would spend 20 years in jail without this protection.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Only for after cases.It is a basic legal standard followed by all countries with even decent judicial system.Imagine today a person is convicted for bribery for which max punishment is 2 years as per current law.Now the case drags on in court for 5 years & before the final verdict the govt at that time change law to make max punishment for bribery as 20 years so that person would spend 20 years in jail without this protection.
Maybe but the amount of time taken until the final verdict is normally deducted if the person is found guilty of any offence.
BTW our laws should be further strengthened or made strict. Immediate justice through fast track courts should be provided and that verdict should be made final or should be taken into final consideration in case the accused approaches the apex court.

Take my own father's case, he resigned from his govt job and joined after 6 months where upon his subordinate who is a temporary employee was given his permanent job. He fought from trial court to High court where upon he lost but the Apex court gave his job back after 10 long years of struggle. He underwent various pressures in these 10 years but at least by the grace of the god he got his job back.

Sometimes wrong cases are filed because of enemity and such other reasons where upon the accused who is not at all guilty but inncoent has to undergo several struggles.
I think law can be used both ways. In this unknown persons might be accused of being filing the cases or inciting others.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe but the amount of time taken until the final verdict is normally deducted if the person is found guilty of any offence.
?? The only time deducted is the time spent in jail if the accused was not able to get bail.e.g.somebody spent 7 months in prison & then got bail & case dragged on for 3 more years & final verdict was 1 year jail then that person will spend only 5 months(1 year-7 months already spent in jail during the case duration).

Justice delayed is justice denied.
However Indian judicial system is so understaffed & poorly managed that it is not possible to avoid long delays.

Top Bottom