Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
If you're printing out designs for a prototype on a 3D printer, you could have your ideas or designs stolen. This wired article showcases examples of how people are able to recreate the design that's being printed just by recording the sounds the printer makes! The wonders of the spying world never cease to amaze me. James Bond tech!

Source: Wired

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Some guys once demonstrated how you can steal encrypted data by recording the sound the machine makes while encrypting the data.

On topic. What's really scary is that even with a revolutionary technology like 3D printing, the first thing people make with it are guns.

Hrishi

Some guys once demonstrated how you can steal encrypted data by recording the sound the machine makes while encrypting the data.

On topic. What's really scary is that even with a revolutionary technology like 3D printing, the first thing people make with it are guns.

Didn't pre-humans made spears and arrows/axes..etc as part of their initial invention ?
Accept it or not, but it does show some trait.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Our human ancestral blood,we humans can never ignore or forget

aakaash

Broken In
An excerpt from wired:
Data including where the nozzle is, how it moves and for how long it is expelling plastic can be picked up, and recreate designs with 90 percent accuracy.

Interesting. Just wondering if this can be exploited for all additive manufacturing techniques (There are 7 3D printing technologies as per ASTM classification).

The question remains: will it be possible to recreate the exact model (90% accuracy) if the part is highly complex, which is the most likely case as 3D printing permits manufacturing of very complex shapes. Besides, "spying" cannot have control of the ambiance noise that is usually unpredictable.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Please still talking about 3D printing its a waste of resource. Holo lens is the future

These are two different solutions to two different challenges. how to compare ?

I think both of them are great.

Anyways, What if you blow out your speakers on good enough volumes while printing something? the printer sound would easily be masked.
But its commendable that such thing is possible. that is, recreating 3D images from sound. That is another way to transmit 3D graphics in the form of sound to your 3D viewer maybe? but yeah, the bandwidth would be very low.

Nice find.

MadScorp

Gaming is Life
I heard about this recently , with all the new tech its quite hard for things not to go wrong . Between the number of things I have seen people come up with 3D printing are amazing! They are building houses, cars and other cool objects! :) The price is still a major limiting factor right now though.

A

amit.tiger12

There are many things i wanted to print.
Household accessories, which i can't find easily. Making designs for fixing stuffs or replacing wood steel iron material with plastic. But outcome should be soft or hard or flexible or way you want. This will definately stop spare parts problem for normal house.
This may require good knowledge of 3D, AutoCAD students or any engineer with this besic ability can create good and useful stuffs.

Top Bottom