160 sata on linux 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptops4u

Broken In
hi ...
i got a new system and i wana install linux 7.3 on it .. i have a samsung sata 160 hdd which dont allow me to install linux redhat 7.3 , can any one help me pls ....

pls reply ASAP...

sba

Journeyman
SATA and Redhat 7.3??? You gotta be kidding me. Why do you want to do that???

Anyways, afaik Redhat 7.3 will not be supporting your drive and your SATA port by default. What you need to do is have a custom kernel with SATA support compiled in hand.

If you have another system with Linux then compile a custom kernel on tht machine. Install Redhat 7.3 on the system you want, boot off a live CD, install the custom kernel using a floppy or something, edit your grub/lilo.conf and you should be fine.

If you don't have another system with Linux, then install a more modern distro on your system (eg: Ubuntu or Mandriva). Compile a customised kernel with buildin SATA support. Now install Redhat 7.3 on another partition and use the kernel you earlier compiled.

All this won't be easy as you might have to upgrade lots of other things like modutils etc. My suggestion, go for a newer distro.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
I have 120 GB Seagate Baracuda SATA HDD. But i cannot install Fedora Core 3 on my system. It does not finds any HDD. Next i tried Mandrake 10.1 and SuSE 9 Personal Edition. Same Result. Next i tried Fedora Core 4, it gives some fatal error and installation terminates even before it starts. I am clueless what should i do. Somebody please help me out of this.

sba

Journeyman
sachin_kothari: you need to tell us wat board you are using and wat type of controller this board has. only then can we actually help you. also imo you should start a separate thread about your problem with an appropriate title. help us in helping you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom