15+ Partitions are back again using kernel version 2.6.28.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flake

Linux User
Those were days when Linux kernel supported 63 partitions in PATA disk but newer kernels put 15 partition limit in PATA disks too.

Latest kernel, 2.6.28.x supports 63 partitions in PATA as well as SATA disks now.

One of my old hard disk having 23+ partitions was lying around and I plugged it in to use it again today. Booted up PartedMagic LiveCD having kernel version 2.6.28.7 and to my surprise, it recognized all partitions. I plugged in same disk in Ubuntu box having kernel 2.6.27.x. It could not detect all partitions. I downloaded latest stable kernel 2.6.28.7, compiled it and all partitions are visible in Ubuntu now.

Created 54 partitions using fdisk successfully. I couldn't create 63 partitions because fdisk threw error and I didn't have much time to find out problem. I will try to create 63 partition very soon.

Just for testing, I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 5 in 50th partition successfully. Ubuntu 9.04 has kernel 2.6.28.7 only.

We can create 63 partitions using kernel 2.6.28.x now. Good news ! *www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks for the info mate.

i m jus curious to know. would we at any point need so many partitions?
do database servers or application servers installed on commercial establishments need so many partitions spread across disks to reduce I/Os on each disk n increase performance.
at the most 8-10 wud suffice i feel

correct me if i m wrong.

Rahim

Married!
I never knew the partition limitation as i already have 21 partitions in my 2 hard disks. Thanks anyway.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
thanks for the info mate.

i m jus curious to know. would we at any point need so many partitions?
do database servers or application servers installed on commercial establishments need so many partitions spread across disks to reduce I/Os on each disk n increase performance.
at the most 8-10 wud suffice i feel

correct me if i m wrong.
Disk Management depends on organization's requirements and Administrator's working style only. We have around 10 servers running Debian/CentOS and each server handles around 500-700 users. Most of servers have 12 partitions and a few servers have 30+ partitions ( running old kernels and we are planning to upgrade those to 2.6.28.x ).

We have implemented quota for each user. Increased number of partitions help us to manage users and regular back ups easily. Like I said earlier, how you manage partitions depends on you only.

Last edited:

Rebecca Joiesh

Right off the assembly line
Those were days when Linux kernel supported 63 partitions in PATA disk but newer kernels put 15 partition limit in PATA disks too.

Latest kernel, 2.6.28.x supports 63 partitions in PATA as well as SATA disks now.

One of my old hard disk having 23+ partitions was lying around and I plugged it in to use it again today. Booted up PartedMagic LiveCD having kernel version 2.6.28.7 and to my surprise, it recognized all partitions. I plugged in same disk in Ubuntu box having kernel 2.6.27.x. It could not detect all partitions. I downloaded latest stable kernel 2.6.28.7, compiled it and all partitions are visible in Ubuntu now.

Created 54 partitions using fdisk successfully. I couldn't create 63 partitions because fdisk threw error and I didn't have much time to find out problem. I will try to create 63 partition very soon.

Just for testing, I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 5 in 50th partition successfully. Ubuntu 9.04 has kernel 2.6.28.7 only.

We can create 63 partitions using kernel 2.6.28.x now. Good news ! *www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
You have copied post of Linuxforum's super moderator, devils casper. Word by word copy ! huh... ( *www.linuxforums.org/forum/coffee-l...back-again-using-kernel-version-2-6-28-x.html )

Where are internet ethics?

^^heh... yeah the same guy :lol:

Anyway, this limitation still amuses me. Is there any other way of putting constrains on the size of a user's home folder ?

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
Rebecca Joeish said:
You have copied post of Linuxforum's super moderator, devils casper. Word by word copy ! huh... ( *www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...-2-6-28-x.html )

Where are internet ethics?
I am the same person and I think its not against Term & Conditions of both Forums to post same info. I am here to help and share info only.

MetalheadGautham said:
Anyway, this limitation still amuses me. Is there any other way of putting constrains on the size of a user's home folder ?
You can use quota to limit disk usage. Its easy to implement usage limit on particular user or whole group. quota is not pre-installed in most of distros but its available in default sources. Just check it in Package Manager of your distro.
You can use quotatool to implement quota.

iinfi

mekalodu
^^
so u mean on ur storage you have diff partitions for diff departments and diff chunks of users. wat storage do you use?

I am the same person and I think its not against Term & Conditions of both Forums to post same info. I am here to help and share info only.

Your user name there is better though :p

You can use quota to limit disk usage. Its easy to implement usage limit on particular user or whole group. quota is not pre-installed in most of distros but its available in default sources. Just check it in Package Manager of your distro.
You can use quotatool to implement quota.
Quota ? Hmmm.. how does it work ? Any good tutorial links ? I think that kind of does fill the purpose rather well for me. Can I for example, create a group say named "students", add around 50 users to it, and restrict that particular group to use only 20GB of a 500GB partition ? In this case I have two types of situations possible: One where EACH student can only use upto 20GB, and another where the users collectively use only upto 20GB together. I want both cases to be doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom